MAPS!

Allison Wonderland

Wow, how did I not find this site before?

https://www.oldmapsonline.org/

secretrose

That made it easier. Thanks for the maps. I pulled up the 1924 map, however his railroads went by many of the parks. It did seem to knock out the far western ones however.

Michele Caldwell

I keep thinking bower = Bauer = brand of ice skates (hockey skates)

Archie Pickerign

Hi David - cool site you have here, saw you linked to it from Facebook.

oldmaps is nice in a pinch but the U of MN can’t be beat for old maps.

www.lib.umn.edu/borchert will get you many old St. Paul plat maps, old street names and alignments- some greater Ramsey county.

https://apps.lib.umn.edu/mhapo has aerial photos of the area from the ‘20’s onward.

I probably place too much importance on old stuff ( like the streetcar noodle that was bupkis) but it’s where my interests lie.

Allison Wonderland

I don't think the streetcar noodle was bupkis. It's still a cornerstone of my Phalen theory. I didn't post it here because it was your theory but you can if you like. I thought it sounded better than any other explanation for that clue that I have heard.

David B. Allison

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:43:51 AM CST, <acpickerign@...> wrote:

Hi David - cool site you have here, saw you linked to it from Facebook.

oldmaps is nice in a pinch but the U of MN can’t be beat for old maps.

www.lib.umn.edu/borchert will get you many old St. Paul plat maps, old street names and alignments- some greater Ramsey county.

https://apps.lib.umn.edu/mhapo has aerial photos of the area from the ‘20’s onward.

I probably place too much importance on old stuff ( like the streetcar noodle that was bupkis) but it’s where my interests lie.

spamchristi2@yahoo.com

What's the streetcar noodle that may or may not be bupkis?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 9:54 AM, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io
<AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:
I don't think the streetcar noodle was bupkis. It's still a cornerstone of my Phalen theory. I didn't post it here because it was your theory but you can if you like. I thought it sounded better than any other explanation for that clue that I have heard.

David B. Allison

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 09:43:51 AM CST, <acpickerign@...> wrote:

Hi David - cool site you have here, saw you linked to it from Facebook.

oldmaps is nice in a pinch but the U of MN can’t be beat for old maps.

www.lib.umn.edu/borchert will get you many old St. Paul plat maps, old street names and alignments- some greater Ramsey county.

https://apps.lib.umn.edu/mhapo has aerial photos of the area from the ‘20’s onward.

I probably place too much importance on old stuff ( like the streetcar noodle that was bupkis)

Archie Pickerign

There's an old streetcar that ran between Lake Como and Lake Phelan, Though rather than going straight like Wheelock park way does, It went down Dale, and At Summit started a steep decline into downtown St. Paul (plummet), before following E7th street and climbing the Bluff, proceeding up arcade and Forest streets before reaching its terminus at Lake Phelan. It seemed odd to me that something might plummet before it got to the bluff, but if you follow this track (11 on the map) - couple with  its circuitous rout and starting and stopping like a streetcar would it seemed to make sense.

Once at the summit, it did quite plummet

Before it got to the bluff

Starting and stopping, winding and hopping

It will eventually lead to the stuff

https://old.trolleyride.org/History/PDFs/TCRT_St._Paul_map_1947.pdf

Joan Del Rio

acpickerign, I think that was a very astute noodle. Impressive sleuthing!

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 4:06:16 PM CST, <acpickerign@...> wrote:

There's an old streetcar that ran between Lake Como and Lake Phelan, Though rather than going straight like Wheelock park way does, It went down Dale, and At Summit started a steep decline into downtown St. Paul (plummet), before following E7th street and climbing the Bluff, proceeding up arcade and Forest streets before reaching its terminus at Lake Phelan. It seemed odd to me that something might plummet before it got to the bluff, but if you follow this track (11 on the map) - couple with  its circuitous rout and starting and stopping like a streetcar would it seemed to make sense.

Once at the summit, it did quite plummet

Before it got to the bluff

Starting and stopping, winding and hopping

It will eventually lead to the stuff

https://old.trolleyride.org/History/PDFs/TCRT_St._Paul_map_1947.pdf

alfabob1@...

Best interpretation for Clue #6 that I've seen!

Christina Kolb

I had been hoping I was alone in having noticed the #11 route! Shhh!

secretrose

This was on the PP FB site posted 5 hours ago:

PLEASE READ AND SHARE:

To ensure we are respectful of sacred landscapes within our city’s public spaces, Saint Paul Parks and Recreation has requested that Indian Mounds Regional Park is excluded for the remainder of this year’s hunt. We can confirm that the medallion is not located within the park, and out of respect all hunting should be directed elsewhere. Good luck!

secretrose

I just saw this was posted two other times before me. Too bad l wasted some hours there today.