Clue 9 2020

Allison Wonderland

A coal man had a plan
To lay down roots in St. Paul
His path proffers good math -
Even though short of hill it does fall.

kalars69 <Kalars69@...>

https://www.mnopedia.org/person/hill-james-j-1838-1916

James J Hill or Griggs & Company? Hmmm. fresh park options….

On Jan 26, 2020, at 11:17 PM, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:

A coal man had a plan
To lay down roots in St. Paul
His path proffers good math -
Even though short of hill it does fall.

@alfabob

I thought of James J. Hill, as well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_J._Hill

Mike Flipp

If you take the James J Hill house our coal man
whose house (lay down roots) is on Summit Ave.
overlooking the bluff or hill if you will
You align his house (His Path) and it over looks
Eagle Street Park Plaza (very tiny)
Upper Landing (That has been mentioned)
AND
HARRIET ISLAND !
If its on Harriet Island, I'm just gonna laugh

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 11:17:09 PM CST, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <allisonwondrland@...> wrote:

A coal man had a plan
To lay down roots in St. Paul
His path proffers good math -
Even though short of hill it does fall.

Mike Flipp

OK Im In on Harriet too now, sheesh
All 10 on Harriet Island LOL wow
Sufferin Succotash! said some cartoon character!

On Sunday, January 26, 2020, 11:17:09 PM CST, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <allisonwondrland@...> wrote:

A coal man had a plan
To lay down roots in St. Paul
His path proffers good math -
Even though short of hill it does fall.

@alfabob

Why would there be a clue about James J. Hill this late in the game if it's at Harriet Island? I don't see it. Unless Hill had some connection to Harriet Island or Dr. Justus Ohage, or the water clues.

Archie Pickerign

I wish the clues didn’t have me changing my mind every 5 seconds.

It could be JJH - and odds of a small downtown park may have never been higher. That said if it is a Hill reference I would guess they are talking about Walnut Street, which falls just short of the mansion- and past old St Luke’s Hospital to Irvine Park.

My initial read on this one is about Chris Coleman, who helped champion the renovation of the Sam Morgan Trail which runs by but does not reach Downtown up hill. The city commissioned a study to see how much a direct connection to the Vento Trail would cost (good math) but have not started the project. How this relates to other clues is beyond me.

At this point I just hope these aren’t all references to trash they littered on the ground again.

Allison Wonderland

My Phalen thought on this clue is that it does refer to James J. Hill. He was in fact a coal guy who moved to St. Paul and then started up a railroad, the Great Northern. His path would have been the railways (though I think that is also a hint to a current day path). Math is neither good nor bad, so I'm thinking in this case good math means "profitable", which his railroad was.

He at one point tried to buy the Northern Pacific railroad but then had to give it up because of anti-trust laws, though he still mostly controlled it. So in that sense, the Northern Pacific "fell short of Hill". But what once was the Northern Pacific railway is now the Bruce Vento Trail. Of course this answer could also apply to BVNS and Swede Hollow and maybe Mounds. But it definitely goes by Phalen, right by where I think it is.

I strongly suspect we will get a Bruce Vento clue tonight.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 10:29:16 AM CST, <acpickerign@...> wrote:

I wish the clues didn’t have me changing my mind every 5 seconds.

It could be JJH - and odds of a small downtown park may have never been higher. That said if it is a Hill reference I would guess they are talking about Walnut Street, which falls just short of the mansion- and past old St Luke’s Hospital to Irvine Park.

My initial read on this one is about Chris Coleman, who helped champion the renovation of the Sam Morgan Trail which runs by but does not reach Downtown up hill. The city commissioned a study to see how much a direct connection to the Vento Trail would cost (good math) but have not started the project. How this relates to other clues is beyond me.

At this point I just hope these aren’t all references to trash they littered on the ground again.

ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...>

Are the woods adjacent to the path by Phalen public land/part of Phalen though?

Archie Pickerign

Some is, some isn't.

ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...>

Awesome.  I just verified on Ramsey county maps too.

Allison Wonderland

And really, either way, if it was there, the cluewriter would probably use Phalen clues to refer to it even if it wasn't in Phalen proper.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:13:44 PM CST, ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...> wrote:

Awesome.  I just verified on Ramsey county maps too.

ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...>

See attached

Allison Wonderland

The area I am thinking there is definitely in Phalen then, where the trail is close to Johnson.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:21:52 PM CST, ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...> wrote:

See attached

Matt Bennett

The land that Bruce Vento Trail runs through on the east side of the lake is owned by the Ramsey County Railroad & Housing Authority. Not sure if that technically makes it public. It also looks like the wooded area South of Shore drive and East of Johnson is part of the park.

My first find on "coal man" was Clarence W Wigington who was an award winning artist with Charcoal...The pavilion on Harriet Island IS named after him, however he grew up in Omaha, Nebraska (his path) and Nebraska Ave leads to the east side of Phalen Lake. It actually turns north and becomes Atlantic Ave (a grand body of water). Also Clarence street is just east of McAfee street (virus protection from hackers) which is just east of BV Trail. South of there you'd be careful not to traipse on Ivy (flora).

One of the old maps from the site David shared showed "WATER TANK" on the north east side of the lake.  It sure does feel like we're being directed to the South and East side of the lake, and I agree with David that if the BV trail is in play, they would be using Phalen clues to get us there.

So what do people think? Is the Trail over there in play or do we have to keep ourselves in the park property?  The plot of land south of maryland on either side of Johnson is also part of the park...There are some tennis courts you might swing on down to.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 12:31 PM Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <AllisonWondrland=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The area I am thinking there is definitely in Phalen then, where the trail is close to Johnson.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:21:52 PM CST, ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...> wrote:

See attached

inkswife

Matt, it might be worth a call.  I know railroad property is and has been off limits in the past.  But I like your thoughts.

From the land of the lost….Terry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--
inkswife Terry

Mike Flipp

I must say, you all are doing a great job with noodling this, I however have completely went low carb (no pasta for me) and this has all gotten greek to me, LOL It really is fun throwing out thoughts, but there are just so many directions. You know what I do hate though, is the 11:30 PM late night run to the treasure, cuz no one found it yet and they're basically just telling you where the thing is. With as much snow as there is out there, it's going to take a while to dig that thing out. They do want to sell papers and create a buzz. I just hope someone finds it before the last "here it is" clue.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:21:52 PM CST, ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...> wrote:

See attached

Allison Wonderland

I think tonight we will get a Vento clue. I think Clue 11 will give us the park and it will probably be found then. I believe if you are in the right park, they have already defined a pretty small area. At this point I believe it has to be either BVNS, Swede, or the SE corner of Phalen, none of which will handle a big crowd very well, so they're keeping us off-balance.

It would actually be kind of awesome to go into the 12th clue with people still spread out in multiple parks.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 02:45:08 PM CST, Mike Flipp via Groups.Io <flippstermn@...> wrote:

I must say, you all are doing a great job with noodling this, I however have completely went low carb (no pasta for me) and this has all gotten greek to me, LOL It really is fun throwing out thoughts, but there are just so many directions. You know what I do hate though, is the 11:30 PM late night run to the treasure, cuz no one found it yet and they're basically just telling you where the thing is. With as much snow as there is out there, it's going to take a while to dig that thing out. They do want to sell papers and create a buzz. I just hope someone finds it before the last "here it is" clue.

On Monday, January 27, 2020, 12:21:52 PM CST, ssppuckguy <dwallace1026@...> wrote:

See attached

Stephanie Peltier <steph.peltier71@...>

Any one tossing around the idea of 2 medallions this year?

On Jan 27, 2020, at 10:29 AM, acpickerign@... wrote:

I wish the clues didn’t have me changing my mind every 5 seconds.

It could be JJH - and odds of a small downtown park may have never been higher. That said if it is a Hill reference I would guess they are talking about Walnut Street, which falls just short of the mansion- and past old St Luke’s Hospital to Irvine Park.

My initial read on this one is about Chris Coleman, who helped champion the renovation of the Sam Morgan Trail which runs by but does not reach Downtown up hill. The city commissioned a study to see how much a direct connection to the Vento Trail would cost (good math) but have not started the project. How this relates to other clues is beyond me.

At this point I just hope these aren’t all references to trash they littered on the ground again.

Archie Pickerign

You might have rekindled my faith in that area- back out there soon I suppose.

Worth pointing out that genuflect makes sense, a) to denote its on the ground b) Maryland (Ave) was founded as a catholic colony.

Better find it before it gets hotter- wouldn’t want to burn(quist ave.) myself.