Blah


Allison Wonderland
 

It's a weird feeling this morning. I was quite confident on Phalen and of course it sucks to be wrong. But I felt so much made sense there in a harmonious way. Highland I really never considered much. Even now I still don't get how the clues fit there. Even after reading Rose's explanations, it was like she was speaking in a foreign language. Some people's explanations of Highland still make me think, "No, it's at Phalen". I have a feeling the clue explanations will prove more painful. So in a sense I don't feel too bad. Some of you were on Highland, but let's face it, some of you are always on Highland, lol. People were all over the place and people had good explanations for those various parks. At this point I don't see how Highland was a *better* fit. It might have been worse. So even though many of us were wrong, I do think we all did a good job of working the clues and coming up with good theories. It was educational. I think it was still fun having such a debate about the park go on until the very end.

There is a press conference at the PP at 11am I think. The Rehash Bash is Sunday at 11:30am at Newell Park. And the Allison Wonderland Mock Hunt will be in March. I hope everyone found this forum useful even if I did push you into the wrong park. I think the new venue worked out fine. And for those of you who will be bailing out soon, hopefully we will see you next year.


Bergmanad@...
 

Thank you David. I enjoyed the struggle!!


On Jan 28, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:

It's a weird feeling this morning. I was quite confident on Phalen and of course it sucks to be wrong. But I felt so much made sense there in a harmonious way. Highland I really never considered much. Even now I still don't get how the clues fit there. Even after reading Rose's explanations, it was like she was speaking in a foreign language. Some people's explanations of Highland still make me think, "No, it's at Phalen". I have a feeling the clue explanations will prove more painful. So in a sense I don't feel too bad. Some of you were on Highland, but let's face it, some of you are always on Highland, lol. People were all over the place and people had good explanations for those various parks. At this point I don't see how Highland was a *better* fit. It might have been worse. So even though many of us were wrong, I do think we all did a good job of working the clues and coming up with good theories. It was educational. I think it was still fun having such a debate about the park go on until the very end.

There is a press conference at the PP at 11am I think. The Rehash Bash is Sunday at 11:30am at Newell Park. And the Allison Wonderland Mock Hunt will be in March. I hope everyone found this forum useful even if I did push you into the wrong park. I think the new venue worked out fine. And for those of you who will be bailing out soon, hopefully we will see you next year.


Archie Pickerign
 

I feel similarly, perhaps worse even, I live in the area and have played that disc golf course and walked that part of the park many times. 

One clue I feel I have deciphered: "line three bodies water" --> The Water towers

From overhead the three water towers are not in a line, but if you stand from the lower part of the park - down hill from the golf course all three appear to be standing in line on top of the hill. 

Worth noting too here that the lack of the word "of" denotes that you should not look for lakes, rivers and streams but rather something out of the ordinary.

I feel as if "perspective" types of clues like this are going to be important going forward. You can't google them, and the aerial maps like google maps don't help much.  

Who knows maybe the explanations will be good for once.  


inkswife
 

David, I agree.  This clue writer had people all over the place.  It made it interesting yet some frustrating too.

 

I like this new group you went with and I wanted to be sure to thank you for finding it and setting it up.  It worked out great.

 

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


--
inkswife Terry


secretrose
 

Yep, l was on Highland  for years because it was so overdue and the first place it was hidden. I however switched on clue 9. The clue writer was so vague this year and it fit so many parks. I was feeling the BV, SH until it was found this morning. Clue 9 threw me. I don't golf so l wouldn't know about a sand trap. I am surprised it was found this morning. I am happy because l couldn't hunt anymore due to my mother's health going down.


spamchristi2@yahoo.com
 

Arrrgh! Putts that are pitches! Highland is the only park in St Paul proper that has a disc golf course. Dan was right and I discounted what he said because I had spent so much time in Phalen! Good learning experience and change of strategy for next year: Dig in many parks early so as not to get my mind set on any one park.

-Christi


On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 10:13 AM, Bergmanad@...
<Bergmanad@...> wrote:
Thank you David. I enjoyed the struggle!!


On Jan 28, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:

It's a weird feeling this morning. I was quite confident on Phalen and of course it sucks to be wrong. But I felt so much made sense there in a harmonious way. Highland I really never considered much. Even now I still don't get how the clues fit there. Even after reading Rose's explanations, it was like she was speaking in a foreign language. Some people's explanations of Highland still make me think, "No, it's at Phalen". I have a feeling the clue explanations will prove more painful. So in a sense I don't feel too bad. Some of you were on Highland, but let's face it, some of you are always on Highland, lol. People were all over the place and people had good explanations for those various parks. At this point I don't see how Highland was a *better* fit. It might have been worse. So even though many of us were wrong, I do think we all did a good job of working the clues and coming up with good theories. It was educational. I think it was still fun having such a debate about the park go on until the very end.

There is a press conference at the PP at 11am I think. The Rehash Bash is Sunday at 11:30am at Newell Park. And the Allison Wonderland Mock Hunt will be in March. I hope everyone found this forum useful even if I did push you into the wrong park. I think the new venue worked out fine. And for those of you who will be bailing out soon, hopefully we will see you next year.


Michele Caldwell
 

You're the best, David! I love that it was hard, I love that we all struggled, I love the fun that I always have with this group!  Thank you for all you do - it would not be as fun without you - you are every bit the legend as the medallion!! 


secretrose
 

There was also the memorial with flag, sledding hill,  summit, Schultz ice hockey, church and medical nearby that could fit. But many of the parks had the same though also. Weird, bizarre hunt. It took me for a twirl!


secretrose
 

Oh and thank you David, l will not see you Sunday,, but enjoyed this sight!


juliann laabs
 

Thanks David 
I think the new site worked seamlessly. I enjoy this site and find it’s the only real reliable one for the hunt .
I appreciate how everyone shared insight and is supportive of everyone’s ideas.
Thanks again 
Juliann 

On Jan 28, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Allison Wonderland via Groups.Io <AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:

It's a weird feeling this morning. I was quite confident on Phalen and of course it sucks to be wrong. But I felt so much made sense there in a harmonious way. Highland I really never considered much. Even now I still don't get how the clues fit there. Even after reading Rose's explanations, it was like she was speaking in a foreign language. Some people's explanations of Highland still make me think, "No, it's at Phalen". I have a feeling the clue explanations will prove more painful. So in a sense I don't feel too bad. Some of you were on Highland, but let's face it, some of you are always on Highland, lol. People were all over the place and people had good explanations for those various parks. At this point I don't see how Highland was a *better* fit. It might have been worse. So even though many of us were wrong, I do think we all did a good job of working the clues and coming up with good theories. It was educational. I think it was still fun having such a debate about the park go on until the very end.

There is a press conference at the PP at 11am I think. The Rehash Bash is Sunday at 11:30am at Newell Park. And the Allison Wonderland Mock Hunt will be in March. I hope everyone found this forum useful even if I did push you into the wrong park. I think the new venue worked out fine. And for those of you who will be bailing out soon, hopefully we will see you next year.


Archie Pickerign
 

The memorial in hindsight works on a couple levels. 

You doff your warm hat at the memorial but also - A warm winter hat is also called a cap - Clarence "Cap" Wigington designed the historic water tower. 


leelabell
 

I knew there was a good chance it would be at Highland, but I excluded it after the noodle about the streetcar line to Phalen. I was all in on Phalen or Trout Brook after that. I even figured that the bodies of water was water towers, but I didn’t remember there were three at Highland (I haven’t lived there for 10+ years). I just assumed there might be some that you could see from other parts of the Phalen or I was wrong completely and you had to be in lower town (I mentioned that the other day). 

Regarding clues: The thing about clues for me is that if the solution to a clue is worse than the best possible solution it is a bad clue. In other words, the best possible solution to the clue that I assumed was the streetcar line is the streetcar line. Not the plane (Mounds). So, when we see the answers, if there is a half-assed solution to that clue, it was a bad clue. (IMO). Maybe there is a better Highland solution, but we will see. You can half-ass any answer (snow, ice, water, etc.) but you can’t always write good ones.


Allison Wonderland
 

Although in defense of clue writers, sometimes there are things out there that you don't know about that will fit the clue better than what you intended. You can't do much about that, but it certainly shouldn't be a regular occurrence in your clues.



On Tuesday, January 28, 2020, 11:10:42 AM CST, leelabell via Groups.Io <leelabell@...> wrote:


I knew there was a good chance it would be at Highland, but I excluded it after the noodle about the streetcar line to Phalen. I was all in on Phalen or Trout Brook after that. I even figured that the bodies of water was water towers, but I didn’t remember there were three at Highland (I haven’t lived there for 10+ years). I just assumed there might be some that you could see from other parts of the Phalen or I was wrong completely and you had to be in lower town (I mentioned that the other day). 

Regarding clues: The thing about clues for me is that if the solution to a clue is worse than the best possible solution it is a bad clue. In other words, the best possible solution to the clue that I assumed was the streetcar line is the streetcar line. Not the plane (Mounds). So, when we see the answers, if there is a half-assed solution to that clue, it was a bad clue. (IMO). Maybe there is a better Highland solution, but we will see. You can half-ass any answer (snow, ice, water, etc.) but you can’t always write good ones.


Rebecca
 

The beauty of this hunt is reconnecting with people I see only once a year. We are always happy to see each other again and if we run into each other at a park, we reassure each other that our noodles are on par.  I was convinced it was at IMP and all the clues except for the last 2 were "fitting" for me. I learned a lot about trees doing the tree trek and was convinced at one point that the medallion was near the Ginkgo tree (noodlers treasure noggins) and tennis court (nyet = sounds like someone yelling "net")! I'm glad PP makes it hard to find, it is after all worth $10,000! I'm also happy that the hunt didn't go to the 12th clue because I really dislike the mosh pit and being told precisely where it is. David, thank you for continuing this wonderful forum. I think the io site is fantastic and I doff my warm cap to you!


secretrose
 

I totally agree with Rebecca! I also enjoy taking photos besides talking to people l meet. I was more confused this hunt than ever. The clues fit so many parks. I was going to post some photos of Highland, but for some reason they come out blown up so l gave up. I am happy it was found before the midnight clue!


secretrose
 

Also there were a lot of cherry looking trees planted and cherry and plums are in the peach familybut l thought that would be plum and cherry street in IM,


Joan Del Rio
 

IMHO last year, 2019, at Long Lake was the best hunt in a long time. Some clues were less than obvious, but attainable with reasonable research. This year there were only a couple of explanations that I could call completely sensible. And I know clue writing is an art, am grateful for the hunt, and I won’t complain as long as it’s reasonable. It seems the only goal of some of this year’s clues was to mislead. That’s not fun. 
David, thanks for all of your work. The new site is great - feels/functions like the old Yahoo group. See you Sunday. To those not attending the Rehash ... see you next year!


On Jan 28, 2020, at 11:10 AM, leelabell via Groups.Io <leelabell@...> wrote:

I knew there was a good chance it would be at Highland, but I excluded it after the noodle about the streetcar line to Phalen. I was all in on Phalen or Trout Brook after that. I even figured that the bodies of water was water towers, but I didn’t remember there were three at Highland (I haven’t lived there for 10+ years). I just assumed there might be some that you could see from other parts of the Phalen or I was wrong completely and you had to be in lower town (I mentioned that the other day). 

Regarding clues: The thing about clues for me is that if the solution to a clue is worse than the best possible solution it is a bad clue. In other words, the best possible solution to the clue that I assumed was the streetcar line is the streetcar line. Not the plane (Mounds). So, when we see the answers, if there is a half-assed solution to that clue, it was a bad clue. (IMO). Maybe there is a better Highland solution, but we will see. You can half-ass any answer (snow, ice, water, etc.) but you can’t always write good ones.