Clue #4

@alfabob

Anyone have the clue yet?

Alan Sadowsky

One patterned neat and trim, one salvaged life and limb
Did the two cutters who lived down the way.
Herringbones or sawbones?
You decide which will play.

@alfabob

Historical clue about a doctor/surgeon and a tailor perhaps? One cut or sawed off bones (amputations?) to save lives  and the other cut herringbone patterns from cloth to make clothes? Any surgical clinics and/or seamstress/tailor shops near a park?

Jennifer Matthews

Clearly this is talking about 2 paths..
I am curious about the groups thoughts in the puck NOT being near the bluffs....

Jennifer Matthews

Also makes me think perhaps of two paths has one been recently attempted to be cleared?
clue 4 folks, where’s the chatter?? Our team is due to pluck this thing! It’s going to warm up today and tomorrow.

kalars69 <Kalars69@...>

Sawbones referring to being a surgeon reminds me that the original Gillette hospital was in Phalen Park.

Matthewdk2010@...

Cutter who lived down the way? Could this possibly be tied to the  movie cutter’s way any thoughts
--
Michae kealy

Mike Flipp

I am thinking History where 2 early settlers lived in the area met the requirements of the description - like already has been mentioned of a Taylor and a Doctor. So neighborhood History would be needed to grasp that aspect.
Another thought is that the park is in 2 pieces, two sections / and or has 2 main paths, you need to choose, and also along this line is that we could possible have some street names that could be coming into play that lead to a park or possible even the type of street layout and design. Then lastly there is the whole path within the park idea of one actually being a herringbone brick pattern that would take you one way, and another path the other.
2 cutters does make it sound like actual people, and their history would be needed. A taylor cuts material and a Doctor . Surgeon cuts bones. Could there be a Taylor street and another street Surgeon Street? something like that? Either you know the history or you dont, but you need to pick a path to take, so the park has 2 sections, or 2 areas, upper and lower? My noodle is tie yert lol

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 12:20:20 AM CST, <sadow002@...> wrote:

One patterned neat and trim, one salvaged life and limb
Did the two cutters who lived down the way.
Herringbones or sawbones?
You decide which will play.

Mike Flipp

Oh funny, get this
Taylor Avenue runs into Newell Park, So does Fairview, oh that would be too easy, or would it?

On Wednesday, January 22, 2020, 10:56:31 AM CST, Mike Flipp via Groups.Io <flippstermn@...> wrote:

[...]

Matt Bennett

Mike summarized my morning noodling quite well there. Some additional thoughts...

"HERRING"bone - they seem to be telling us they are giving two options, one of which is bad for us.

Are there any other types of "cutters"? Stone cutters, like those who built the capitol...there's some interesting history about two guys who worked on the capitol and had a freak accident. One survived (salvaged life and limb).
Cutter is also a type of boarder patrol sailboat.
I tend to prefer the Civil War doctor definition...sawbones was a slang term used to talk about them.

This feels like the "here, we'll give you three street names at once" clue but there's a lot of avenues we could take...

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 10:56 AM Mike Flipp via Groups.Io <flippstermn=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Anyone have the book "The Street Where You Live: A Guide to the Place Names of St. Paul"?Gives you a bit of history of who these streets were named after. It might help.
https://books.google.com/books?id=2TJIulWZTkUC&pg=PA190&dq=Johnson+parkway+namesake+st+paul+mn&hl=en&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv5rfe9pjnAhUJac0KHYY6Br8Q6AEwAXoECAIQAg#v=onepage&q=Johnson%20parkway%20namesake%20st%20paul%20mn&f=false

Joan Del Rio

I just bought that book last week.  Love it!  Should have picked it up years ago.