Re: Scavenger Hunts

Peeko03

Yes I agree the first time will have kinks to work out. I only wanted to point out that by having the whole hunt come down to a tie breaker, it then becomes about the tie breaker and not the hunt.

We enjoyed learning new facts about Saint Paul history. Thank you for researching and writing the clues David, we appreciate all the time it must have taken you. it was a lot of fun and we're hoping it will be back next year.

From: theallisonwonderland@groups.io <theallisonwonderland@groups.io> on behalf of Andrea Howell <akh3966@...>
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 2:33:21 PM
To: theallisonwonderland@groups.io <theallisonwonderland@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [theallisonwonderland] Scavenger Hunts

I had a blast with this— I did drop off once I realized I was statistically eliminated, but I still loved it.

On Feb 21, 2021, at 2:26 PM, Allison Wonderland via groups.io <AllisonWondrland@...> wrote:

The first time you do something it's bound to have some bumps and this turned out to be one of them. The thought was that if multiple teams were tied with a high score I thought it would be better if there was something they could do to earn the win rather than a random drawing. But it was also predicated on the idea that few if any teams would solve all 30 missions. You proved that to be a faulty assumption pretty quickly. Lol.
Had no one solved them all, then anyone could have still won up to the end.

So yes, next year we will definitely try something else as a tie breaker. Right now I'm thinking of maybe deducting some points for wrong answers. I may also try to a GPS mission with a specific but not obvious point and the tiebreaker is the team closest to that spot. Or maybe I will think of something else. But now that I know that teams solving all 30 missions is more of a certainty, the tie breaker will definitely have to change.

I am a little surprised you thought the tiebreaker was obvious. I guess that place isn't as obscure as I thought.

On Sun, Feb 21, 2021 at 1:29 PM, Peeko03
<Peeko03@...> wrote:
I'm wondering if the scavenger hunt is going to be an annual event. It was a lot of fun, but as you can tell by this year's event, it was really a race to finish one clue, the tie breaker.

The reason Matt ( I believe that's the winner's name) only won 2 but didn't win all 3, was because he was a little too late to be the first one to finish the history hunt tie breaker. (I think he was 3rd)

Once you are first to solve the tie breaker, you can take your time to do the rest, because you've already won. I almost wish he had been first in that one as well. Then I would have known it was at least calculated and no one else would have had a chance.

We were the first to finish the history hunt, we completed it the first night. But because one team beat us to the "tie breaker" we lost.

I'm hoping if this is an annual event that the rules are changed. The tie breaker was so simple that whoever lives closest to the spot can get there first, so they win. The first half hour of the hunt determined the winner.

Please consider changing the rules for the way you win this contest in the future, to make it a little more fair for everyone. Thanks