Successfully installed 64-bit Debian on a Raspberry Pi 3

Russ, KC7MM

Today I downloaded and installed a Debian 11 (Bullseye) Raspberry Pi image on a model 3. I used one of the tested images from Debian. What you get with it is a minimal Debian system. I had to polish up my rusty sysadm skills, but with the help of DuckDuckGo and theĀ Debian Wiki I soon had added a user, changed the hostname, and set up SSH so I can run it headless to complete configuration and make software installs from the comfort of my Mint desktop. I'll use this system to host my local Dokuwiki installation, so no GUI is needed. It's been pretty much painless up to this point.

The kernel version is 5.10.0.5 arm64. The 1.3GB image expanded itself to fill the 16GB microSD card, so no work required there.

KC7NYR

Excellent job Russ! I will follow your progress on this project.

73
Mark, KC7NYR

Russ, KC7MM

UPDATE: I have written up the process on my Web site. It also worked on a Pi 4 4GB board.

roy murray

Hi Russ,

Great tutorial, I may have to try that. If only it were encrypted...

Roy - KI7PKL