Topics

Unknown clock ? home project?

Graham Mitchell

Is the clock in the picture a recognisable project clock?
Thanks
Graham
Sydney

Ian Richardson

Hi Graham,

You will no doubt get many opinion and some facts about your clock, but just to set the ball rolling it looks to me as if it MAY be a home made job.

What is fairly certain is that it is of the "Hipp toggle" variety - the electromagnets at the bottom of the case would be periodically energised by the toggle switch on the brass plate.  The toggle would have been hanging from the small brass collar visible part way down the wooden pendulum rod - it should be higher up, just above the toggle switch.  The magnets would be powered only occasionally (typically every 20 or 30 swings of the pendulum, and can not therefore be used to drive the time dial.

It is possible that the dial is operated mechanically by the swinging pendulum, but only a photo of the back of the dial would reveal what's actually there.

There are plently of clocks with a similar drive system around - probably the best known (at least in the UK) would be the GPO Clock No.36 or other silent electric variants.  The originator of the toggle switch was a Swiss gentleman by the name of Matheus Hipp, so there are also many fine Swiss made clocks using the system, frequently under the name Favag.

Don't know if this helps, but it would probably be worthwhile doing it up as what is seen in the photo all looks OK.  Is it yours, or are you looking to buy it?

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:09
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] Unknown clock ? home project?

Thanks
Graham
Sydney

Peter Torry

Graham,

I would agree with Ian's summing up of your clock as I had a similar one some time ago that went to live not too far from Ian.  There were many designs in various publications like The Model Engineer magazine and Electric clocks and Chimes etc. If it will help you I can scan the relevant pages and send them to you.  Looks an interesting project and should restore quite well - let us know how it progresses.

Regards

Peter

On 13/01/2019 13:05, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Graham,

You will no doubt get many opinion and some facts about your clock, but just to set the ball rolling it looks to me as if it MAY be a home made job.

What is fairly certain is that it is of the "Hipp toggle" variety - the electromagnets at the bottom of the case would be periodically energised by the toggle switch on the brass plate.  The toggle would have been hanging from the small brass collar visible part way down the wooden pendulum rod - it should be higher up, just above the toggle switch.  The magnets would be powered only occasionally (typically every 20 or 30 swings of the pendulum, and can not therefore be used to drive the time dial.

It is possible that the dial is operated mechanically by the swinging pendulum, but only a photo of the back of the dial would reveal what's actually there.

There are plently of clocks with a similar drive system around - probably the best known (at least in the UK) would be the GPO Clock No.36 or other silent electric variants.  The originator of the toggle switch was a Swiss gentleman by the name of Matheus Hipp, so there are also many fine Swiss made clocks using the system, frequently under the name Favag.

Don't know if this helps, but it would probably be worthwhile doing it up as what is seen in the photo all looks OK.  Is it yours, or are you looking to buy it?

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Sent: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 10:09
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] Unknown clock ? home project?

Thanks
Graham
Sydney

Graham Mitchell

Thanks Peter and Ian,
                                   It's  a clock on offer about 90 miles away.  I already have a Synchronome, GPO36 and three other master clocks, commercially made in Australia, a Prouds, an Acelec and Scientific Clocks, Sydney and others.  So do I need another?  Can you have too many?

Thanks or the reminder about "Electric Clocks and Chimes."  Yes, it does look like the one in Chapter 2.  I'm mulling over it,
Regards
Graham

neil

Graham - I have 17, so no you cant have too many.
neil

On 14/01/19 10:02 AM, 72 E Graham Mitchell wrote:
Thanks Peter and Ian,
                                   It's  a clock on offer about 90 miles away.  I already have a Synchronome, GPO36 and three other master clocks, commercially made in Australia, a Prouds, an Acelec and Scientific Clocks, Sydney and others.  So do I need another?  Can you have too many?

Thanks or the reminder about "Electric Clocks and Chimes."  Yes, it does look like the one in Chapter 2.  I'm mulling over it,
Regards
Graham

Ian Richardson

Neil,

How many of your 17 tell the right time?

As someone once said, "he who has a clock always knows the time; he who has two is never sure!"

Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Sent: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:13
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Unknown clock ? home project?

neil

Thanks Peter and Ian,

Regards
Graham

RICHARD ADAMEK

It is a genetically programmed disorder Graham, known as MAD or Master Acquisition Disorder, usually resulting in at least three lifetimes worth of projects, there is only one known cure, often followed by an auction where other sufferers feed their insatiable needs  ;)

How well do yours work with their pendulums wagging about at the top like a metronome (which I presume work in reverse as well)

OK I'll get me coat................

Richard

PS There was also a self build in 1955 Practical Mechanics 'Making a Hipp Free Pendulum Clock - J A Roberts' which I think I may have a scan of on another hard drive if you are interested. The Model Engineer build was '30 Sec Imp Master Clock - C Blazdell 1968' and also in '30 Sec Imp Slave & Chimes - S U Belsey'

On Sunday, 13 January 2019, 21:02:12 GMT, 72 E Graham Mitchell <gmclocks@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter and Ian,
                                  SNIP    So do I need another?  Can you have too many?

Regards
Graham

neil

Ian,
           Well  - a good question. An IBM I have is always within a few seconds a day. The IBM is the best clock i have.  I have 2 synchronomes and a Gents that are usually OK, until the next earthquake in NZ, which is once a month!. I have a PO 36 that is good. A Gents slave that is running on an electronic pulser, that is within seconds per year. A 1/2sec TMC clock that is a very busy movement and fun to watch, and is usually within 5 minutes. The remainder are either being worked on or in storage.

On 14/01/19 12:10 PM, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io wrote:
neil

Neil,

How many of your 17 tell the right time?

As someone once said, "he who has a clock always knows the time; he who has two is never sure!"

Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Sent: Sun, 13 Jan 2019 22:13

neil

Thanks Peter and Ian,

Regards
Graham

Ken Strauss

Please don’t remind me of my affliction!

See http://www.rogerj.co.uk/clock.htm for an article describing an electronic version.

From: synchronome1@groups.io [mailto:synchronome1@groups.io] On Behalf Of RICHARD ADAMEK via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:05 PM
To: synchronome1@groups.io

It is a genetically programmed disorder Graham, known as MAD or Master Acquisition Disorder, usually resulting in at least three lifetimes worth of projects, there is only one known cure, often followed by an auction where other sufferers feed their insatiable needs  ;)

How well do yours work with their pendulums wagging about at the top like a metronome (which I presume work in reverse as well)

Richard

PS There was also a self build in 1955 Practical Mechanics 'Making a Hipp Free Pendulum Clock - J A Roberts' which I think I may have a scan of on another hard drive if you are interested. The Model Engineer build was '30 Sec Imp Master Clock - C Blazdell 1968' and also in '30 Sec Imp Slave & Chimes - S U Belsey'

On Sunday, 13 January 2019, 21:02:12 GMT, 72 E Graham Mitchell <gmclocks@...> wrote:

Thanks Peter and Ian,

Regards
Graham

Simon Taylor

GPO was the acronym given for acquisitions in the later years, when nobody could be bothered to even sign you one over and stuff was disappearing hand over fist.
Go-on, Pinch One.

Simon GPO Clocks

On 14 Jan 2019, at 03:04am, Ken Strauss <ken.strauss@...> wrote:

Please don’t remind me of my affliction!

See http://www.rogerj.co.uk/clock.htm for an article describing an electronic version.

From: synchronome1@groups.io [mailto:synchronome1@groups.io] On Behalf Of RICHARD ADAMEK via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 7:05 PM
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Unknown clock ? home project?

It is a genetically programmed disorder Graham, known as MAD or Master Acquisition Disorder, usually resulting in at least three lifetimes worth of projects, there is only one known cure, often followed by an auction where other sufferers feed their insatiable needs  ;)

Richard

Thanks Peter and Ian,

Regards
Graham 

--
Simon GPO Clocks

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Graham Mitchell

I acquired this clock for the price of the petrol to pick it up.  It's a version of the  "Electric Clocks and Chimes" make yourself a simple self contained electric clock.  The movement is a stripped down version of an alarm clock with a "Galileo type escapement."  It has a broken suspension spring and lots of cosmetic issues but I will get it going and send more pictures.  What voltage would be appropriate?
Somebody spent a lot of hours building this clock.  The only history is it was bought by an antique dealer in the Southern Highlands south west of Sydney in 1980 and languished, now needing a clear-out, otherwise the tip.
The only interesting feature to me of this clock is the pendulum drive from the bottom, quite different to the master clocks I have, two of them in the attached picture.  The battery box in this new clock increases the height which made it advertised as a "grandmother" clock.
This clock is at the bottom end of my interests but all electric clocks tell me something new,
Graham 
Sydney

Ian Richardson

Graham,

A guess, but from the presence of the drive magnets at the bottom of the case, it is probable that this clock has (or had) a Hipp toggle switch - along the same lines as the Magneta shown on your photo.  If that were the case, then it would probably run on about 4.5 volts d.c.  More photos wpould be good then we can see more clearly what you've landed yourself with!

Cheers,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK
(currently in France)

Sent: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 8:44

I acquired this clock for the price of the petrol to pick it up.  It's a version of the  "Electric Clocks and Chimes" make yourself a simple self contained electric clock.  The movement is a stripped down version of an alarm clock with a "Galileo type escapement."  It has a broken suspension spring and lots of cosmetic issues but I will get it going and send more pictures.  What voltage would be appropriate?
Somebody spent a lot of hours building this clock.  The only history is it was bought by an antique dealer in the Southern Highlands south west of Sydney in 1980 and languished, now needing a clear-out, otherwise the tip.
The only interesting feature to me of this clock is the pendulum drive from the bottom, quite different to the master clocks I have, two of them in the attached picture.  The battery box in this new clock increases the height which made it advertised as a "grandmother" clock.
This clock is at the bottom end of my interests but all electric clocks tell me something new,
Graham 
Sydney

neil

If you measure the DC resistance of the coil - the voltage reqd can be calculated easily.
Neil Jepsen. B.Sc. M.Sc(Hons).CPL.MASNZ.
Jepsen Acoustics & Electronics Ltd
22 Domain Street
Palmerston North.
New Zealand.
Ph +64 6 3577539  Mob 0274428094
Web site: www.noiseandweather.co.nz
E.& O.E.
On 25/01/19 7:13 AM, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io wrote:

Graham,

A guess, but from the presence of the drive magnets at the bottom of the case, it is probable that this clock has (or had) a Hipp toggle switch - along the same lines as the Magneta shown on your photo.  If that were the case, then it would probably run on about 4.5 volts d.c.  More photos wpould be good then we can see more clearly what you've landed yourself with!

Cheers,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK
(currently in France)

Sent: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 8:44

Graham 
Sydney