Topics

Synchronome papers at IET Archives

Bill Burns

The IET archives in London just posted about a box of papers from Silvanus P Thompson, donated to the IET in 1917, titled: ‘Electric Clocks and Time-Indication III’, which illuminates Thompson’s interest in electrical synchronised clocks and his involvement in the Synchronome Syndicate Limited.

https://ietarchivesblog.org/2020/01/08/s-p-thompson-pamphlets-electric-clocks/

The post includes a couple of nice illustrations, and notes that Thompson had a Synchronome system at home.

--
Bill

Johannes <johannes@...>

Hi synchronomeelectricclock group

I have made Alan Timmins clock after his "Making an Eight Day Longcase Clock"  book.

I have hand made all parts, except the bell.

It is hanging in my workshop, with lot of dust, and no protection, but it works very well.

So maybe now my next project will be a synchronomeelectricclock.

Is there some "books"  I can  start reading ?

After reading this group mail, it looks it is not so easy as the clock looks like.

But I have a good lathe and mill/drill. And a "MicroSet"  for final testing.

Happy new year and wish you all a nice time in the workshop.

Johannes

Mexico

Philip Green

Hi Johannes,

Try "electric Clocks and how to make them" by F Hope Jones.
Not only does it tell you how to make a Synchronome clock it tells you how to make various others as well.
Good luck
Phil

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 5:32 PM Johannes <johannes@...> wrote:

Hi synchronomeelectricclock group

I have made Alan Timmins clock after his "Making an Eight Day Longcase Clock"  book.

I have hand made all parts, except the bell.

It is hanging in my workshop, with lot of dust, and no protection, but it works very well.

So maybe now my next project will be a synchronomeelectricclock.

Is there some "books"  I can  start reading ?

After reading this group mail, it looks it is not so easy as the clock looks like.

But I have a good lathe and mill/drill. And a "MicroSet"  for final testing.

Happy new year and wish you all a nice time in the workshop.

Johannes

Mexico

Johannes <johannes@...>

“electric Clocks and how to make them" by F Hope Jones.

Thanks Phil

Amazon + others company have this old book for sale.

Best from

Johannes

Mexico

www.klokkemakeren.no

[...]

RICHARD ADAMEK

You can download this until you find a hard copy (and numerous other documents which may help) from the Clock Docs site Johannes

Also look at the documents section in the Synchronome albums

Loads of photo's of differing models and cases to give you inspiration

Best

Rick

On Friday, 10 January 2020, 20:54:52 GMT, Johannes <johannes@...> wrote:

[...]

John Haine

Hello Johannes, I have uploaded to the Files section a copy of the articles on making a Synchronome by Elliott Isaacs that were published in Engineering in Miniature many years ago.  They include full drawings for making the clock.  I found them quite useful even for my much-modified version.  One thing I would do if making one today is to get the chassis (for which the casting he mentions is no longer available) laser cut from a sheet of steel rather than fabricate it.  The firm that the link takes you to is in the UK, but laser cutting services must be available anywhere these days I should think.