Topics

Synchronome Baseplate Finishing

stephen@...

Good Morning Everyone
A less technical enquiry, this, in comparison to most of the chat recently:
I am restoring a Synchronome Mk.1 clock. The number on the NRA plate is 1028, which dates it to something like 1922.
A previous owner has made a right mess of the main baseplate casting by painting it gloss black, and making a very poor job of it.
So I will strip it back to the cast iron and repaint.
These early clocks have plain black paint on the baseplate, rather than the crackled paint finish of the later clocks.

This is my question - is the correct period finish of the black paint satin or matt?

Many thanks for your help
Stephen

Chris

Stephen,

I have never cleaned my ca.1920 Synchronome 876 so assume the finish is original.

Neither black gloss nor matt. You should be able to see the slight sheen in this image:

On 12/12/2019 12:03, stephen@... wrote:
Good Morning Everyone
A less technical enquiry, this, in comparison to most of the chat recently:
I am restoring a Synchronome Mk.1 clock. The number on the NRA plate is 1028, which dates it to something like 1922.
A previous owner has made a right mess of the main baseplate casting by painting it gloss black, and making a very poor job of it.
So I will strip it back to the cast iron and repaint.
These early clocks have plain black paint on the baseplate, rather than the crackled paint finish of the later clocks.

This is my question - is the correct period finish of the black paint satin or matt?

Many thanks for your help
Stephen

jan.wright@...

Good Morning Stephen
I am not certain for sure that satin finish was around in the 1920’s so I would paint it in matt finish. hope this logic helps

On 12 Dec 2019, at 11:03, stephen@... wrote:

Good Morning Everyone
A less technical enquiry, this, in comparison to most of the chat recently:
I am restoring a Synchronome Mk.1 clock. The number on the NRA plate is 1028, which dates it to something like 1922.
A previous owner has made a right mess of the main baseplate casting by painting it gloss black, and making a very poor job of it.
So I will strip it back to the cast iron and repaint.
These early clocks have plain black paint on the baseplate, rather than the crackled paint finish of the later clocks.

This is my question - is the correct period finish of the black paint satin or matt?

Many thanks for your help
Stephen

James Meaton

Hi there.
I served my apprenticeship at Synchronome at the factory in Westbury and spent most of my time as their toolmaker and finished up in the Drawing Office.
During my apprenticeship I spent time in the paint shop and know that he finished applied was a sprayed black crackle one that ended up more like a gloss/satin finish rather than a matt one.  I believe you can get still get an aerosol can of it (HYCOTE Wrinkle Finish UK 0201), but I have not yet tried the one I bought to finish an ancient guitar fuzz box case
I hope this helps.

On 12 Dec 2019, at 11:03, stephen@... wrote:

Good Morning Everyone
A less technical enquiry, this, in comparison to most of the chat recently:
I am restoring a Synchronome Mk.1 clock. The number on the NRA plate is 1028, which dates it to something like 1922.
A previous owner has made a right mess of the main baseplate casting by painting it gloss black, and making a very poor job of it.
So I will strip it back to the cast iron and repaint.
These early clocks have plain black paint on the baseplate, rather than the crackled paint finish of the later clocks.

This is my question - is the correct period finish of the black paint satin or matt?

Many thanks for your help
Stephen

John Hubert

The crackle finish came in around s/n 1800 in the very early 1930s.  Your clock as you say dates to around early 1920s (clock 912 was delivered in 1921 and that is the nearest confirmed date I know of).

Before that it was a sort of matt finish, but many I have seen do have a bit of an ‘eggshell’ type finish and I think this may be due to cleaning polishing it slightly?  A matt finish can be given a bit of a sheen using a clear wax polish (try first on something else!)

John

On 12 Dec 2019, at 11:03, stephen@... wrote:

Good Morning Everyone
A less technical enquiry, this, in comparison to most of the chat recently:
I am restoring a Synchronome Mk.1 clock. The number on the NRA plate is 1028, which dates it to something like 1922.
A previous owner has made a right mess of the main baseplate casting by painting it gloss black, and making a very poor job of it.
So I will strip it back to the cast iron and repaint.
These early clocks have plain black paint on the baseplate, rather than the crackled paint finish of the later clocks.

This is my question - is the correct period finish of the black paint satin or matt?

Many thanks for your help
Stephen

klopschip

Hi Stephen

I might have a spare frame if you are interested. If so, send me a direct message.
Bart