In my view it is something you simply shouldn't be cnsidering, a bit like repairing your Chippendale chair with a leg from Ikea!

Just buy a new clock instead.

Andy

On 2021-07-03 13:56, mike.havendale@gmail.com wrote:
Hi everyone, I am not a clock expert as you chaps appear to be, I
would appreciate some advice on converting my Synchronome 96A slave
post office clock to quartz battery type but retaining the original
hands

I have removed the original mechanism which seemed to work by testing
with a small battery to supply brief voltage and although it would be
fantastic to keep the mech intact, the practicalities of supplying the
correct 300mah every 30 seconds are just not something I want to
chase, so a battery conversion seems to be for me

If any of you guys have advice on which battery conversion is suitable
I would appreciate your thoughts

Thank you if you can help

John Hubert

You can buy a module to supply the pulse needed.

Two problems with quartz conversions; first it destroys the originality, and second the hands are a bit tricky to re collet (unless you have the tooling).

If you Google - you can find various drivers available - and an alternative someone has used is here https://www.britishtelephones.com/clocks/easycloc.htm

If you choose to refit the hands, you will either need to modify the existing collets - or fit new collets.

On 3 Jul 2021, at 13:56, mike.havendale@... wrote:

Hi everyone, I am not a clock expert as you chaps appear to be, I would appreciate some advice on converting my Synchronome 96A slave post office clock to quartz battery type but retaining the original hands

I have removed the original mechanism which seemed to work by testing with a small battery to supply brief voltage and although it would be fantastic to keep the mech intact, the practicalities of supplying the correct 300mah every 30 seconds  are just not something I want to chase, so a battery conversion seems to be for me

If any of you guys have advice on which battery conversion is suitable I would appreciate your thoughts

Thank you if you can help

H Hal

I would recommend keeping the original slave movement and adding an impulse unit in the back of the clock (battery operated) to run it as it is.

hal

uk

On 03/07/2021 13:56, mike.havendale@... wrote:
Hi everyone, I am not a clock expert as you chaps appear to be, I would appreciate some advice on converting my Synchronome 96A slave post office clock to quartz battery type but retaining the original hands

I have removed the original mechanism which seemed to work by testing with a small battery to supply brief voltage and although it would be fantastic to keep the mech intact, the practicalities of supplying the correct 300mah every 30 seconds  are just not something I want to chase, so a battery conversion seems to be for me

If any of you guys have advice on which battery conversion is suitable I would appreciate your thoughts

Thank you if you can help

Peter Torry

May I suggest that you keep the clock as original as possible and just purchase or make a simple pulsing unit to drive it.

Regards

Peter  UK

On 03/07/2021 13:56, mike.havendale@... wrote:
Hi everyone, I am not a clock expert as you chaps appear to be, I would appreciate some advice on converting my Synchronome 96A slave post office clock to quartz battery type but retaining the original hands

I have removed the original mechanism which seemed to work by testing with a small battery to supply brief voltage and although it would be fantastic to keep the mech intact, the practicalities of supplying the correct 300mah every 30 seconds  are just not something I want to chase, so a battery conversion seems to be for me

If any of you guys have advice on which battery conversion is suitable I would appreciate your thoughts

Thank you if you can help

mike.havendale@...

Thank you guys, I do have an appreciation for the pieces history, I am not a complete heathen, I had not realised I could make use of the piece in a relatively easy and reliable way, I had assumed a conversion was acceptable

I will happily research pulse creation with the comments above and do appreciate your thoughts

John Hubert

For some ideas, the impulse needs to be 300 mA approx - and that will need (for GPO who used a higher coil impedance of typical about 7 to 10 Ohms compared to most non GPO slave clocks at about 2.5 to 4 Ohms) a suitable voltage (about 3V). If the voltage is too high, a series resistor can be used to limit the current to 300 mA.

The duration needs to be about 100 to 300 milliseconds, non critical.  You will need to use some protection to the electronics if you build yourself (purchased units have this inbuilt) because the coil generates a fair bit of ‘back EMF’.  A diode can sort this easily, but do include one if you are ‘home building’.

On 3 Jul 2021, at 14:09, mike.havendale@... wrote:

Thank you guys, I do have an appreciation for the pieces history, I am not a complete heathen, I had not realised I could make use of the piece in a relatively easy and reliable way, I had assumed a conversion was acceptable

I will happily research pulse creation with the comments above and do appreciate your thoughts

Gerritv

The referenced article points to Maplin, who no longer carry that item. However, Velleman has its own website, which conveniently lists several timer modules, pre-built or solder-it-yourself.

Whadda WMT136: INTERVAL TIMER MODULE – Velleman – Wholesaler and developer of electronics

Gerrit

You can buy a module to supply the pulse needed.

Two problems with quartz conversions; first it destroys the originality, and second the hands are a bit tricky to re collet (unless you have the tooling).

If you Google - you can find various drivers available - and an alternative someone has used is here https://www.britishtelephones.com/clocks/easycloc.htm

If you choose to refit the hands, you will either need to modify the existing collets - or fit new collets.

_._,_._,_

mike.havendale@...

I do have some information regarding the pieces electronic needs as the details still remain on printed paper inside the mech, the sad part of acquiring the piece is the lack of master clock, the Post office my piece came from is being turned into flats, the master sadly was missing from its position but 2 96As remained, I would have gladly re housed the master but it was not to be

I am not an electronics engineer at all so if anyone has a link to a pulse generator suitable that I can simply attach I would appreciate it

John Hubert

If you do want a Post Office Clock (Clock No 36) they are not uncommon and do come up on auction sites/auction sales from time to time.

Strictly, these have an interface box in between to drive clock dials (the main clock was used trim drive various switching and metering functions as well as dials) - and I will let one of the GPO experts here take over as it isn’t my field at all.

It is possible to drive one (or possibly two) dials directly from the master clock.

On 3 Jul 2021, at 14:30, mike.havendale@... wrote:

I do have some information regarding the pieces electronic needs as the details still remain on printed paper inside the mech, the sad part of acquiring the piece is the lack of master clock, the Post office my piece came from is being turned into flats, the master sadly was missing from its position but 2 96As remained, I would have gladly re housed the master but it was not to be

I am not an electronics engineer at all so if anyone has a link to a pulse generator suitable that I can simply attach I would appreciate it

Peter Torry

Have a look at  http://radioclockcontrol.com/Engels/masterclocks/masterclocks.html and look for the SR400 impulser.  There are other suppliers dependant upon which country you are in but I will search my lists when I find them !!

Regards

Peter  UK

On 03/07/2021 14:30, mike.havendale@... wrote:
I do have some information regarding the pieces electronic needs as the details still remain on printed paper inside the mech, the sad part of acquiring the piece is the lack of master clock, the Post office my piece came from is being turned into flats, the master sadly was missing from its position but 2 96As remained, I would have gladly re housed the master but it was not to be

I am not an electronics engineer at all so if anyone has a link to a pulse generator suitable that I can simply attach I would appreciate it

John Haine

The problem with that Velleman unit is that the time interval is just set with a capacitor and a couple of variable resistors - very hard to get any accuracy.  The radioclockcontrol one looks much better, having a quartz derived timebase.  They have another version with GPS is you really want accuracy!  Seem a bit pricey to me, I would roll my own with an Arduino or similar.

Peter Torry

Hello John,

Yes there are many different ways to drive a slave movement and I suggested that one as no electrical skill would be required to implement it.

I have used various arrangements in the past including using a repurposed quartz clock movement by removing the hour and minute hands and modifying the seconds hand to have equal lengths either side of the boss and fixing a flag at each end of it.  When the flag passes through an opto coupler a pulse is generated every 30 seconds and that via a transistor or fet amplifier drives the movement.

Regards

Peter  UK

On 03/07/2021 16:43, John Haine wrote:
The problem with that Velleman unit is that the time interval is just set with a capacitor and a couple of variable resistors - very hard to get any accuracy.  The radioclockcontrol one looks much better, having a quartz derived timebase.  They have another version with GPS is you really want accuracy!  Seem a bit pricey to me, I would roll my own with an Arduino or similar.

aspaceintime

Hi
You can buy a device that will fit inside the housing that will send out a 30 second or half minute impulse to the slave mechanism and keep excellent time
Search on the internet for a synchronome slave clock driver
Or go look on this forum as I have seen reference with a link
Don’t convert it Please
It’s History
Best Regards
Lee

On Jul 3, 2021, at 8:07 AM, Peter Torry via groups.io <peter.torry@...> wrote:

[...]

Darren Conway

Hi

I am an Electronics Engineer and I am currently designing and making a pulse generator for two types of slave clock, including Synchronome.  I am using cheap ready made Chinese electronics modules.  No soldering required.  My design is driven by a Synchronome Master Clock, but it would be easy to add a cheap Chinese GPS module that can be programmed to produce a pulse every 30sec.    I am fairly certain my design is not unique.

So you have an opportunity to marry an old world tech slave clock to the latest master clocks running in space.    That would be a good conversation piece.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 4.07.21 1:30 am, mike.havendale@... wrote:
I do have some information regarding the pieces electronic needs as the details still remain on printed paper inside the mech, the sad part of acquiring the piece is the lack of master clock, the Post office my piece came from is being turned into flats, the master sadly was missing from its position but 2 96As remained, I would have gladly re housed the master but it was not to be

I am not an electronics engineer at all so if anyone has a link to a pulse generator suitable that I can simply attach I would appreciate it

Darren Conway

Hi

I was right.  My design is far from unique.  These look like good modules and available off-the-shelf.  No electronics skills required.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 4.07.21 1:56 am, Peter Torry via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I am using an Arduino Uno for my design.

I don't think the radioclockcontrol units are over priced given the tiny market, their performance (Quartz/GPS time keeping) and features, but more than I would pay.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 4.07.21 3:43 am, John Haine wrote:
The problem with that Velleman unit is that the time interval is just set with a capacitor and a couple of variable resistors - very hard to get any accuracy.  The radioclockcontrol one looks much better, having a quartz derived timebase.  They have another version with GPS is you really want accuracy!  Seem a bit pricey to me, I would roll my own with an Arduino or similar.

Darren Conway

Hi

That is far too simple and clever.

For hobby stuff, I work on the principle of "why make it simple when you can have the challenge of making it really complicated, and get it to work"   😉

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand