Topics

Synchronome 2054 Pendulum Suspension

bailey.services@...

Hi All
Question from new member to your group, top chop to the pendulum is aluminium, is this a genuine part (though not original to this clock) or later pattern spare?
Similarly the gathering arm is of robust construction with a fine wire which pokes through the pallet, the pallet presumably is designed to take the usual ruby jewel arm? so again a later alteration.

My main concern is with how the trunnion locates in the cast iron suspension bracket, there is no v-slot as on the Gents C7 and searching images on the internet I haven't found anything showing detail of pendulum hanging on the bracket. Pinching the trunnion under the clamps doesn't seem satisfactory without some other bit!

Hope to hear from you knowledgeable people.
Regards
Howard

The ’top chop’ is usually brass on earlier clocks.  I don’t recall seeing one in anything other than brass.  My most recent clock is early 1960s and is
brass.  See photo (which is an early clock).

There are no ‘V’ slots in the support.  It is held by the clamps and works well.

The gathering arm should be a light wire with a ruby jewel (available as a “Brocot jewel’” from suppliers).

On 21 Aug 2020, at 15:37, bailey.services via groups.io <bailey.services@...> wrote:

Hi All
Question from new member to your group, top chop to the pendulum is aluminium, is this a genuine part (though not original to this clock) or later pattern spare?
Similarly the gathering arm is of robust construction with a fine wire which pokes through the pallet, the pallet presumably is designed to take the usual ruby jewel arm? so again a later alteration.

My main concern is with how the trunnion locates in the cast iron suspension bracket, there is no v-slot as on the Gents C7 and searching images on the internet I haven't found anything showing detail of pendulum hanging on the bracket. Pinching the trunnion under the clamps doesn't seem satisfactory without some other bit!

Hope to hear from you knowledgeable people.
Regards
Howard

Regards<Suspension bracket 2054.JPG><Pendulumn assy 2054.JPG>

Richard Parker

Hi Howard

The parts look like replacements to me, but I don't see why they should not work if adjusted correctly.

The trunnion does indeed just sit on the casting, and is clamped down once in the correct position (so the gravity arm roller falls on the right part of the pallet).

Best regards,
Richard

On 21/08/2020 15:37, bailey.services via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Thank you both and reassuring to see photo of trunnion clamped in place, would be good to find brass chop as threads to aluminium are a bit worn.

Hopeful with new pendulum suspension spring and drop of oil it will run. If all seems in order plan to take the frame out of the case to give it a light clean, not sure if this will be asking for trouble but cleaning will be easier. Also points are badly out of line, hopefully I will find some adjustment on these.

Howard