Topics

Solari Flip Clock Driver

Darren Conway

Hi Neil

My research on my new, very old Solari clock indicates it is fed with a bipolar 24V impulse.  Not compatible with Synchronome slave clock pulses.

I am interested in your driver.  How does it work?  Is it programmable?

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

On 3.01.21 10:49 pm, neil wrote:
Hi Darren,
On my driver I have buttons that advance or lose 1sec,1min and 1 hr. Makes adjustment and keeping track of DST much easier. With 2 slaves in series, it's a pain if they don't track. The gents relies on gravity for one of the wheel panels so they both need to be vertical when testing.
Neil

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021, 9:23 pm Darren Conway, <darren.conway@...> wrote:

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

What is the method to align the clocks so they all display the same time?

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

neil

Yes it is, but to do alt polarity is a but more tricky but can be done.
I'll send you a spec on the driver tomorr.
Neil

On 3.01.21 10:49 pm, neil wrote:
[...]

Darren,

As you are obviously an electric clock enthusiast, maybe the best solution is to buy a T&N master clock for your Solari clock.  The T&N system generates 24vdc in alternate polatarity - made for the job.

Note that not all Solari clocks are the same - I have one which uses unique polarity and is running on my house system driven by a Gent "Thornbridge" clock.  I have also seen the alternate polarity ones and it's only the motor which is different.

Good luck and happy clunking,
Ian R
France
(formerly Macclesfield, UK)

On 3.01.21 10:49 pm, neil wrote:
[...]

A T&N might be the perfect solution but finding one in this part of the world would be difficult.    Getting fiscal approval from my better half to buy one would be even more difficult.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 5.01.21 10:43 pm, Ian Richardson via groups.io wrote:
T&N master clock

Ernie Jenson

I posted but didn't get a response.  I'm not sure that this is the right place for this post.  I have a T&N clock with several slaves.  The slaves need a 24 VDC plus and minus to work.  The attachment to provice the slave input is missing from my clock.  Does anyone have an idea how to find this part or duplicate it?
Thank you all for any help.  I enjoy reading this site.

Ian Richardson

Ernie,

This is as good a place as any to get the response you seek.  Unfortunately, I can't be of immediate help, but I do have a fully operational T&N clock here, driving a couple of slave dials.  If required, therefore, I could examine and photograph the polarity reverser if that would help you.

It is in essence a rotary switch driven by the same weight/wheel/spring arrangement which drives the clock.  It is released once per minute by the clock and rotates through 180 degrees and delivers the signal to the slaves via a commutator switch.  At each half revolution, it makes contact with the opposite polarity for the next impulse.  As I said, I could photograph if that helps, but it may not be that easy to make a copy from photos.  I don't have any spare parts, but maybe someone out there has a spare movement which you could canibalise.

Good luck finding the parts you need, but let me know if photos would help.

Best regards,
Ian R
Auvergne, France