Topics

Solari Flip Clock Driver

Darren Conway

Hi Neil

My research on my new, very old Solari clock indicates it is fed with a bipolar 24V impulse.  Not compatible with Synchronome slave clock pulses.

I am interested in your driver.  How does it work?  Is it programmable?

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

On 3.01.21 10:49 pm, neil wrote:
Hi Darren,
On my driver I have buttons that advance or lose 1sec,1min and 1 hr. Makes adjustment and keeping track of DST much easier. With 2 slaves in series, it's a pain if they don't track. The gents relies on gravity for one of the wheel panels so they both need to be vertical when testing.
Neil

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021, 9:23 pm Darren Conway, <darren.conway@...> wrote:

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.  

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

What is the method to align the clocks so they all display the same time?

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually. 

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

neil

Yes it is, but to do alt polarity is a but more tricky but can be done.
I'll send you a spec on the driver tomorr.
Neil

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021, 9:36 pm Darren Conway, <darren.conway@...> wrote:

Hi Neil

My research on my new, very old Solari clock indicates it is fed with a bipolar 24V impulse.  Not compatible with Synchronome slave clock pulses.

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

Hi Darren,
On my driver I have buttons that advance or lose 1sec,1min and 1 hr. Makes adjustment and keeping track of DST much easier. With 2 slaves in series, it's a pain if they don't track. The gents relies on gravity for one of the wheel panels so they both need to be vertical when testing.
Neil

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.  

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually. 

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Ian Richardson

Darren,

As you are obviously an electric clock enthusiast, maybe the best solution is to buy a T&N master clock for your Solari clock.  The T&N system generates 24vdc in alternate polatarity - made for the job.  

Note that not all Solari clocks are the same - I have one which uses unique polarity and is running on my house system driven by a Gent "Thornbridge" clock.  I have also seen the alternate polarity ones and it's only the motor which is different.

Good luck and happy clunking,
Ian R
France
(formerly Macclesfield, UK)

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Sent: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 9:36
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Solari Flip Clock Driver

Hi Neil

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

Hi Darren,
Neil

Hi

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo
www.avast.com

Darren Conway

Hi

A T&N might be the perfect solution but finding one in this part of the world would be difficult.    Getting fiscal approval from my better half to buy one would be even more difficult.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 5.01.21 10:43 pm, Ian Richardson via groups.io wrote:
T&N master clock

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Ernie Jenson

I posted but didn't get a response.  I'm not sure that this is the right place for this post.  I have a T&N clock with several slaves.  The slaves need a 24 VDC plus and minus to work.  The attachment to provice the slave input is missing from my clock.  Does anyone have an idea how to find this part or duplicate it?
Thank you all for any help.  I enjoy reading this site.

Ian Richardson

Ernie,

This is as good a place as any to get the response you seek.  Unfortunately, I can't be of immediate help, but I do have a fully operational T&N clock here, driving a couple of slave dials.  If required, therefore, I could examine and photograph the polarity reverser if that would help you.

It is in essence a rotary switch driven by the same weight/wheel/spring arrangement which drives the clock.  It is released once per minute by the clock and rotates through 180 degrees and delivers the signal to the slaves via a commutator switch.  At each half revolution, it makes contact with the opposite polarity for the next impulse.  As I said, I could photograph if that helps, but it may not be that easy to make a copy from photos.  I don't have any spare parts, but maybe someone out there has a spare movement which you could canibalise.

Good luck finding the parts you need, but let me know if photos would help.

Best regards,
Ian R
Auvergne, France

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, 5 Jan 2021 22:35
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Solari Flip Clock Driver

I posted but didn't get a response.  I'm not sure that this is the right place for this post.  I have a T&N clock with several slaves.  The slaves need a 24 VDC plus and minus to work.  The attachment to provice the slave input is missing from my clock.  Does anyone have an idea how to find this part or duplicate it?
Thank you all for any help.  I enjoy reading this site.

Darren Conway

Hi

I have my Solari flip clock.  It is dirty but complete.

The plan is to clean and lubricate. I do not intend to return it to as-new condition.  The patina and wear is part of its history.

It has a 48V coil which could be a problem.

I will replace the fluorescent tube with an LED version to reduce power consumption.  The tube and fitting looks like a retrofit.

I have no idea what the age is.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

Thomas D. Erb

Any of our tower clock controls have a reverse polarity output.

If you want to make your own driver - you need a h-bridge circuit 

Darren Conway

Hi

I am aiming to use a stepper motor driver with an Arduino like this one.  Only $USD10 for the driver including shipping.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 7.01.21 3:20 am, Thomas D. Erb wrote:
Any of our tower clock controls have a reverse polarity output.

If you want to make your own driver - you need a h-bridge circuit 

John Haine

It's interesting looking at the photo that the coil appears to be part of a Lavet-style stepper motor!  I have seen patents that show that pattern of a 2-pin "lantern" pinion, and the core shape looks right too.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was perfectly happy on a lower voltage than 48 if the quartz clock variety is any guide.  Assuming it is the Arduino needs to give it alternate pulses, each quite short.

To be pedantic, the driver shield you show is just an ST Micro L298 dual H-bridge with supporting components, exactly what you need, but not what nowadays would be classed as a stepper motor driver.

Ernie Jenson

Thanks Ian for the offer of pictures.  Thanks Thomas for the suggestion of the h-bridge circuit.  Since I have modefied the T&N to deliver a contact closure for 10 seconds every minute, I couldn't figure out how to make that work with out a micro controller to complete the operation.  I programed a micro controller but encountered problems with interference from the many master clocks in the room on the same circuit.  I programed and reprogramed and then decided that this was not the right way to go.  Whoever gets the clock after me will most likely not be able to maintain the circuit.  My choise was to buy another T&N to get the part and keep the clock original or build a replacement part that does the job in the manor that would have been used at the time the clock was new.  My first attemp at a mechanical device was also a failure.  I now need to look at the way that T&N solved the problem.  I have an ENEM master clock and their solution to the problem is far too complex.  I can't find another T&N to purchase.
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate the effort.
Ernie