Topics

Removing hands

John Haine

Hi, refurbing the slave clock on my 'Nome, I need to remove the hands.  It needs a puller, I have found this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clock-Hands-Remover-Lifter-Tool-Repair-Fingers-Puller-Screw-Clockmaker-Small/271265798669?epid=1188350859&hash=item3f28b39a0d:g:xTUAAOxyJmhSG~T5

Does this look as if it will do the job please?  Or other recommendations?

I have never needed one.  They are a push fit.  The hour spindle is conical.  Hold the base of the hand and give it a slight twist either to the left or the right while pulling slightly is sufficient to remove the hand.  They are not that tight to require a puller.

Simon

--
Simon

stephen@...

Good morning John
I recently restored an ECS clock, and the hands on the slave were super tight. No way at all to wiggle them off by hand.
That little puller may well do the job, but as its body is curved, it will act on the very outer edge of the hand, so depending on how tight the hand is, you'd have to proceed carefully to avoid marking the hand or bringing off some paint. However, it is not expensive, so not the end of the world if it doesn't work.

Personally I use these jumbo levers:
https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/clock-hand-removing-levers
Unfortunately they are very expensive. I was lucky enough to pick mine up second hand years ago for next to nothing. If you are really stuck I can send them to you if you would be ok to cover recorded postage each way.

Best of luck
Stephen

John Hubert

This type of puller is very nicely suited to slave clock hands

I’m not sure where these can be obtained.  This particular image is from a USA website, but I had a feeling mine (similar but not identical and bought years ago) came from Bergeon.

On 26 Mar 2019, at 11:42, stephen@... wrote:

[...]

Thanks all - I have ordered one, they aren't that expensive.

Simon, the minute hand is a push fit on a square post, and won't rotate to free it up.  The clock had obviously been stored somewhere slightly damp and some bits are slightly rusted.

Andy Barclay1

Hello

Another cheap alternative is buy a wiper blade puller.

Regards Andy Barclay

Unless stated otherwise above:

andrew_emmerson@btopenworld.com <andrew_emmerson@...>

Another cheap alternative is buy a wiper blade puller.

Regards Andy Barclay

Unless stated otherwise above:

Yes, that's the one I bought...