Topics

New second edition of Synchronome-Masters of Electrical Timekeeping now available

James Nye

Dear All,

This was mentioned a while back—I can now confirm that the new and revised
second edition of Bob Miles’s Synchronome—Masters of Electrical Timekeeping
is available for purchase. From soon after the publication of the first
edition, Bob was hoping that a new edition could be possible. There were no
large errors in the first edition, but a few small things came to light, and
the eagle-eyed among you spotted many of them. Unfortunately we lost Bob
earlier this year, but when I last saw him he was delighted to know that
plans were very well-advanced to produce this new edition. The original run
was 500, and went out of print after nearly three years. We have now printed
300 of the new edition. The eagle-eyed among you will see that we have
managed to find a different image of Hope-Jones for the cover. This was
given to me by Arthur Mitchell a few years ago, and he assured me it had not
been published. It therefore seemed fitting to use it for the dustjacket.

We have tried very hard to keep costs as low as possible, and the layout
designer who produced the original edition very kindly gave all his time pro
bono. The original book was £50, and the new edition just £25, but it is
still over 2kg in weight, and therefore I very much regret postage costs are
high, especially to our friends in Australia, the US and Canada. You can
find details of the book, with drop down boxes that allow you to order it,
here

https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/

With best wishes,

James

Price Russ

James,
I think some of my friends will want copies.  If I bought several would there be a break onthe shipping cost?
Price

Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

[...]

Oops! I meant to write James rather than the group.
Price Russ

[...]

ffolliott

Thanks ...just ordered.....just a pedantic note - the £50 dropdown boxes reads 'word' not 'world'.

Geoff

On Monday, 30 September 2019, 14:55:52 BST, James Nye <james@...> wrote:

[...]

jmfranke

The book arrived this morning. The quality and contents exceed all expectations. It will serve as a valuable reference for many decades beyond my lifetime. I look forward to spending many hours pouring over the text, descriptions, information, and images. It is placed next to my set of Frank Hope-Jones books.
Thanks!

John

I missed the earlier post, please can you tell me how I may order a copy? Thanks Geoff Mawdsley  urjoking_uk@...

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019, 11:48:55 GMT-5, jmfranke <jmfranke@...> wrote:

The book arrived this morning. The quality and contents exceed all expectations. It will serve as a valuable reference for many decades beyond my lifetime. I look forward to spending many hours pouring over the text, descriptions, information, and images. It is placed next to my set of Frank Hope-Jones books.
Thanks!

John

> On September 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM James Nye <james@...> wrote:
>

> Dear All,
>
> This was mentioned a while back—I can now confirm that the new and revised
> second edition of Bob Miles’s Synchronome—Masters of Electrical Timekeeping
> is available for purchase. From soon after the publication of the first
> edition, Bob was hoping that a new edition could be possible. There were no
> large errors in the first edition, but a few small things came to light, and
> the eagle-eyed among you spotted many of them. Unfortunately we lost Bob
> earlier this year, but when I last saw him he was delighted to know that
> plans were very well-advanced to produce this new edition. The original run
> was 500, and went out of print after nearly three years. We have now printed
> 300 of the new edition. The eagle-eyed among you will see that we have
> managed to find a different image of Hope-Jones for the cover. This was
> given to me by Arthur Mitchell a few years ago, and he assured me it had not
> been published. It therefore seemed fitting to use it for the dustjacket.
>
> We have tried very hard to keep costs as low as possible, and the layout
> designer who produced the original edition very kindly gave all his time pro
> bono. The original book was £50, and the new edition just £25, but it is
> still over 2kg in weight, and therefore I very much regret postage costs are
> high, especially to our friends in Australia, the US and Canada. You can
> find details of the book, with drop down boxes that allow you to order it,
> here
>
> https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/
>
> With best wishes,
>
> James

James Nye

Geoff,

It’s very straightforward to order—just navigate to

https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/

Very best wishes,

James

The book arrived this morning. The quality and contents exceed all expectations. It will serve as a valuable reference for many decades beyond my lifetime. I look forward to spending many hours pouring over the text, descriptions, information, and images. It is placed next to my set of Frank Hope-Jones books.
Thanks!

John

> On September 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM James Nye <james@...> wrote:
>

> Dear All,
>
> This was mentioned a while back—I can now confirm that the new and revised
> second edition of Bob Miles’s Synchronome—Masters of Electrical Timekeeping
> is available for purchase. From soon after the publication of the first
> edition, Bob was hoping that a new edition could be possible. There were no
> large errors in the first edition, but a few small things came to light, and
> the eagle-eyed among you spotted many of them. Unfortunately we lost Bob
> earlier this year, but when I last saw him he was delighted to know that
> plans were very well-advanced to produce this new edition. The original run
> was 500, and went out of print after nearly three years. We have now printed
> 300 of the new edition. The eagle-eyed among you will see that we have
> managed to find a different image of Hope-Jones for the cover. This was
> given to me by Arthur Mitchell a few years ago, and he assured me it had not
> been published. It therefore seemed fitting to use it for the dustjacket.
>
> We have tried very hard to keep costs as low as possible, and the layout
> designer who produced the original edition very kindly gave all his time pro
> bono. The original book was £50, and the new edition just £25, but it is
> still over 2kg in weight, and therefore I very much regret postage costs are
> high, especially to our friends in Australia, the US and Canada. You can
> find details of the book, with drop down boxes that allow you to order it,
> here
>
> https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/
>
> With best wishes,
>
> James

RICHARD ADAMEK

Received mine a few day back James and while only a couple of dozen pages in am both absorbed already and delighted, anyone wavering, don't make the mistake I did when leaving the first edition unpurchased until too late !

Richard

Delivery lightning fast, packaging near bulletproof :)

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019, 19:54:04 BST, James Nye <james@...> wrote:

Geoff,

It’s very straightforward to order—just navigate to

https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/

Very best wishes,

James

The book arrived this morning. The quality and contents exceed all expectations. It will serve as a valuable reference for many decades beyond my lifetime. I look forward to spending many hours pouring over the text, descriptions, information, and images. It is placed next to my set of Frank Hope-Jones books.
Thanks!

John

> On September 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM James Nye <james@...> wrote:
>

> Dear All,
>
> This was mentioned a while back—I can now confirm that the new and revised
> second edition of Bob Miles’s Synchronome—Masters of Electrical Timekeeping
> is available for purchase. From soon after the publication of the first
> edition, Bob was hoping that a new edition could be possible. There were no
> large errors in the first edition, but a few small things came to light, and
> the eagle-eyed among you spotted many of them. Unfortunately we lost Bob
> earlier this year, but when I last saw him he was delighted to know that
> plans were very well-advanced to produce this new edition. The original run
> was 500, and went out of print after nearly three years. We have now printed
> 300 of the new edition. The eagle-eyed among you will see that we have
> managed to find a different image of Hope-Jones for the cover. This was
> given to me by Arthur Mitchell a few years ago, and he assured me it had not
> been published. It therefore seemed fitting to use it for the dustjacket.
>
> We have tried very hard to keep costs as low as possible, and the layout
> designer who produced the original edition very kindly gave all his time pro
> bono. The original book was £50, and the new edition just £25, but it is
> still over 2kg in weight, and therefore I very much regret postage costs are
> high, especially to our friends in Australia, the US and Canada. You can
> find details of the book, with drop down boxes that allow you to order it,
> here
>
> https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/
>
> With best wishes,
>
> James

James Nye

Richard and John,

Huge thanks for these very supportive comments. Much appreciated!

Cheers

James

The book arrived this morning. The quality and contents exceed all expectations. It will serve as a valuable reference for many decades beyond my lifetime. I look forward to spending many hours pouring over the text, descriptions, information, and images. It is placed next to my set of Frank Hope-Jones books.
Thanks!

John

> On September 30, 2019 at 9:55 AM James Nye <james@...> wrote:
>

> Dear All,
>
> This was mentioned a while back—I can now confirm that the new and revised
> second edition of Bob Miles’s Synchronome—Masters of Electrical Timekeeping
> is available for purchase. From soon after the publication of the first
> edition, Bob was hoping that a new edition could be possible. There were no
> large errors in the first edition, but a few small things came to light, and
> the eagle-eyed among you spotted many of them. Unfortunately we lost Bob
> earlier this year, but when I last saw him he was delighted to know that
> plans were very well-advanced to produce this new edition. The original run
> was 500, and went out of print after nearly three years. We have now printed
> 300 of the new edition. The eagle-eyed among you will see that we have
> managed to find a different image of Hope-Jones for the cover. This was
> given to me by Arthur Mitchell a few years ago, and he assured me it had not
> been published. It therefore seemed fitting to use it for the dustjacket.
>
> We have tried very hard to keep costs as low as possible, and the layout
> designer who produced the original edition very kindly gave all his time pro
> bono. The original book was £50, and the new edition just £25, but it is
> still over 2kg in weight, and therefore I very much regret postage costs are
> high, especially to our friends in Australia, the US and Canada. You can
> find details of the book, with drop down boxes that allow you to order it,
> here
>
> https://www.ahsoc.org/shop/books/synchronome/
>
> With best wishes,
>
> James

John Haine

Ordered while I was on holiday in France last week, delivered by the time I got back Monday.  Excellent service and a lovely book, thanks to everyone who helped to produce this new edition.

Dr Sharukh K R Pavri

Hello James,

I ordered the book and paid w/ Paypal. I received an email from <yourorder@...> but unfortunately my address has got truncated. The address in my PayPal account is correct and complete.  I have already emailed them but just thought I'd drop you a line too if you could follow it up.

My parcel no is : 15504120358505

Many thanks,

Sharukh

--
Antique Clock & Watch Repair.
Mumbai, India.

Malcolm Saffin

I was unaware of the publication of this or even the first edition.

Please may i have a web link to this so that I can mention it on the facebook group.  Im sure it will be of some interest..

On Friday, 11 October 2019, 06:07:03 BST, Dr Sharukh K R Pavri <romextime@...> wrote:

[...]

Graham Mitchell

Hi James,
                I ordered a copy but I couldn't adjust the paypal amount for shipping to Sydney, I expect I will get an additional invoice,
Regards
Graham

James Nye

Dear All,

Huge thanks to many of you here for ordering books. As of yesterday more than 150 had gone out, and the print run was 300! We are amazed by the response!

All the very best,

James

Uni Selector

Excellent quality book both on content and production.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 07:47 James Nye, <james@...> wrote:
Dear All,

Huge thanks to many of you here for ordering books. As of yesterday more than 150 had gone out, and the print run was 300! We are amazed by the response!

All the very best,

James

Mike Wilson

The book is wonderful.  Thanks for making it available to want to take advantage of this special opportunity.

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 14:08 Uni Selector <UniSelector4@...> wrote:
Excellent quality book both on content and production.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, 07:47 James Nye, <james@...> wrote:
Dear All,

Huge thanks to many of you here for ordering books. As of yesterday more than 150 had gone out, and the print run was 300! We are amazed by the response!

All the very best,

James

M R Marlow

Just to reiterate the words of others, this is a superb book. Not only in terms of it's comprehensive and in depth contents but it is also very nicely printed and bound. Mine was  quickly delivered and well packed. I would recommend it to anyone interested in electical horology.
Thanks
Michael

Dr Sharukh K R Pavri

I just received the book. It's beautiful. Well worth the wait.

Many thanks for making this happen.

[...]

Paul Pomes, DVM

The book has far surpassed my expectations as to the information, organization, illustrations, paper and binding quality. All are excellent. Anyone with an interest in Synchronomes *must* have this beautiful book.

Regards,
Paul Pomes, DVM

Furry Friends Veterinary Service Home Page

This e-mail is a hand-made natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty, and are in no way considered flaws or defects.