Topics

Master Slave Clock display alignment?

Darren Conway

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

What is the method to align the clocks so they all display the same time?

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

klopschip

Hello Darren,

A useful way to advance slaves separately is to use a 1.5V battery and touch the contact screws on the clock to advance. To temporarily stop a slave, simply connect the two contact screws with a piece of electrical wire or aluminium foil or anything conducting.

Best regards,
Bart

On Sunday, January 3, 2021, 9:23:26 AM GMT+1, Darren Conway <darren.conway@...> wrote:

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

What is the method to align the clocks so they all display the same time?

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

neil

Hi Darren,
On my driver I have buttons that advance or lose 1sec,1min and 1 hr. Makes adjustment and keeping track of DST much easier. With 2 slaves in series, it's a pain if they don't track. The gents relies on gravity for one of the wheel panels so they both need to be vertical when testing.
Neil

On Sun, 3 Jan 2021, 9:23 pm Darren Conway, <darren.conway@...> wrote:

Hi

I have my master nome running nicely.  I am now ready to connect a couple of Gents slave clocks to it.

The Gents mechanisms are sealed in Bakelite enclosures, so the only way I know to advance them is to apply pulses.   I could open them up, but that would void the warranty.  ☺

I understand how to wire up the master and slaves and the requirement to set the current.

What is the method to align the clocks so they all display the same time?

I was thinking of including a rotary encoder that I could use to apply pulses manually.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

Simon Taylor

I have an old 'tennis racket fly zapper' which broke. I stripped out the electrics and just wired the battery in series with the push button and popped a couple of fly leads on. works very well.

With Gent's, it is usually ok to remove the cover, and whilst keeping the armature operated, hold up both pawls and turn ther minute wheel to the correct time. If hanging and connecting a clock, leave it a minute or two slow and then pulse to correct time with a 1.5V cell or a converted fly swatter as above.

http://www.lightstraw.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Darren Conway

Hi

I am thinking of using a mechanical rotary encoder with push button

They produce 15 pulses per revolution.  Cheap and simple.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

neil

Too fast I think Darren. The minimum pulse length is quite slow.
Neil Jepsen. B.Sc. M.Sc(Hons).CPL.MASNZ.
Jepsen Acoustics & Electronics Ltd
22 Domain Street
Palmerston North.
New Zealand.
Ph +64 6 3577539  Mob 0274428094
Web site: www.noiseandweather.co.nz
          www.noiseandweather.com
E.& O.E.
On 4/01/2021 09:46 am, Darren Conway wrote:

Hi

I am thinking of using a mechanical rotary encoder with push button

They produce 15 pulses per revolution.  Cheap and simple.

Regards

Darren Conway

Avast logo

Ernie Jenson

I'm not sure that this is the right place for this post.  I have a T&N clock with several slaves.  The slaves need a 24 VDC plus and minus to work.  The attachment to provice the slave input is missing from my clock.  Does anyone have an idea how to find this part or duplicate it?
Thank you all for any help.  I enjoy reading this site.