Topics

Magneta and also Bowell

James Nye

Dear All,

I’m conscious that we have wandered away from Synchronome but I feel we are all happy playing in the same broad sandpit. I hope so. Simon has some great material on Magneta you can find through his links. It links the story to the clocks themselves, with images. I was working up material on Magneta quite a few years ago, which is still all text-based, without any clock images (!) and you can find it in the first of the links below. This is primary research, very much unfinished, unpublished, and my copyright. I am very happy to share it with everyone here, of course, but I would ask everyone to respect my copyright and the effort put in. I hope to incorporate the material in future publications.

On Bowell, I lectured a while back in several different places, and the simplest summary of that material finally appeared in AH in March 2016. The second link takes you to the relevant article.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/di1o0pqzkeowtke/Magneta_History%20draft%20april%202010.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6i8huxyxvznkab/Nye%20on%20Bowell.pdf?dl=0

All the best

James

Geoff

I am afraid that as a new member I started on anout other makes!! I have 2 synchronomes, a Gents master with Greenwich synchronising feature, Magneta GPO and Silent Electric Clock co.  The synchronome are the most accurate and do not  make such a loud clunk as the Gents! I think I am guilty of having a paperclip as the gadget that pulls the gear wheel round with the 30 second deeper cuts to operate the contacts.  Is it called the  Scape arm??

On Thursday, 10 January 2019, 17:43:51 GMT-5, James Nye <james@...> wrote:

[...]

James Kelly

James and Geoff

I have attached images of a slave clock I own which is badged Magneta Silent Electric, I have always thought this was produced by Magneta London as and when they had taken over the Silent Electric company.

I also have a 1/2 second Magneta clock which has very similar design aspects to the 1/2 sec Silent electric master clock see attached image, I would like to know your thoughts on both these clocks James, I know you have an identical 1/2 second master clock as the one shown here.

ATB

Jim

James Nye

Jim,

At Clockworks there is a wall dedicated to Bowell, and as well as the clocks on show there are some in the store as well, from memory. One can see traces of Molden’s plans for a time distribution group in lots of these, with the names SECC and Magneta cropping up singly or in conjunction. I think we have 3 or 4 ‘transitional’ SECC/Magneta clocks. Molden bought the Greenwich Time Company in the Great War when it was confiscated owing to its German parentage (Normal-Zeit of Berlin) and then added SECC, Magneta (same reason as Greenwich Time) and then later had a temporary stake in Lowne. For a fair time one is essentially talking about the same stable, with a few different brands on the dials. Magneta emerged as the brand to retain, and this was later acquired by Booth in his BVC business. It’s hard to be certain where any of the clocks were actually made – but it was probably in Carteret St, two which one assumes any kit from the SECC Goswell Road workshops would have been taken. Probably puts the clocks in the mid 1920s?

In perspective, and considering the commercial angle, the pre-BVC businesses of Magneta and the others under the Molden banner were insignificant, and Gent and Synchronome would have had the bulk of the business before 1939. With BVC, TMC, TR etc, the scene shifted dramatically post-war. There were systems like those at the Bank of England or Shell Centre with over 1,000 dials. Equipment destruction policies have given us a distorted fossil record.

All the best!

James

I have attached images of a slave clock I own which is badged Magneta Silent Electric, I have always thought this was produced by Magneta London as and when they had taken over the Silent Electric company.

I also have a 1/2 second Magneta clock which has very similar design aspects to the 1/2 sec Silent electric master clock see attached image, I would like to know your thoughts on both these clocks James, I know you have an identical 1/2 second master clock as the one shown here.

ATB

Jim

James Kelly

Hi James,

Thanks for the additional information, it must have been a very interesting period with companies merging and creating transitional models before they hit on a winning design, it certainly gives us enthusiasts plenty to lookout for and talk about,

Regards

Jim

Simon Taylor

For comparison’s sake of a good design, here is an SECC type 16 from the first quarter of the 20th century.

(Look, I can have the photos where i want now, joy!)

Below is a Gillet & Johnston licensed version of the GPO clock 46 from 1934

and last is my new acquisition, most likely from the 60’s or 70’s. (Won’t know until it arrives and I can check for the date code.)

Apart from the 46 having extra facilities and no synchroniser, it is easy to see the similarities through out 50 or so years!

Simon GPO clocks

On 11 Jan 2019, at 17:59pm, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Hi James,

Thanks for the additional information, it must have been a very interesting period with companies merging and creating transitional models before they hit on a winning design, it certainly gives us enthusiasts plenty to lookout for and talk about,

Regards

Jim

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

James Kelly

Hi Simon

With regard to your image of the SECC P.O. 16 clock I have not seen one with that shape of pendulum bob do you think its original

regards

Jim

Simon Taylor

Hi Jim,

I was going to show a photo of another clock, but just had an inspiration.

On my site is a copy of the first GPO clock manual as it were from October 1927, which has a description of the clock 16 and two drawings. GPO drawings tended to be exact down to the bow in the wires and the position of the screws!.
Here they are…

here is a link to the 1927 document. It is in the form of a .jpg gallery.

There is also the early Martin Fisher Magneta system detailed here.

Simon GPO clocks

On 11 Jan 2019, at 18:52pm, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Hi Simon

With regard to your image of the SECC P.O. 16 clock I have not seen one with that shape of pendulum bob do you think its original

regards

Jim

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

James Kelly

Hi Simon

Thanks For the additional information< I can see now that the SECC PO 16 image from your earlier post has had the pendulumn bob changed to a non standard shape

Glad you like the new groups.io platform its a lot better than the old Yahoo one

regards

Jim

.

here is a link to the 1927 document. It is in the form of a .jpg gallery.

There is also the early Martin Fisher Magneta system detailed here.

Simon GPO clocks

On 11 Jan 2019, at 18:52pm, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Hi Simon

With regard to your image of the SECC P.O. 16 clock I have not seen one with that shape of pendulum bob do you think its original

regards

Jim

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Simon Taylor

I er… WHAT?

Are you sure, I thought it looked the same. It might be the pendulum centring register that is below it, so I will add a further two photos of same clock.

Best I got (ebay photos!)

On 11 Jan 2019, at 19:11pm, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Hi Simon

Thanks For the additional information< I can see now that the SECC PO 16 image from your earlier post has had the pendulumn bob changed to a non standard shape

Glad you like the new groups.io platform its a lot better than the old Yahoo one

regards

Jim

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

James Kelly

Hi Simon

Sorry must clean my glasses I interpreted the reflections on the bob as different shaped bob, now Ive had a second look I can see its original

Mea culpa, my mistake, must try harder.

Jim