Topics

"...had tried to saw it in half." 😢

Simon Taylor

Test - paste text complete with photos in one go from Electriclockcollecting forum.

Poor clock! It was almost heartbreaking to see it. A lovely E.C.S. (English Clock Systems) GPO type 50A 12" double dial complete with wall bracket and octagonal mahogany case from 1953.

IMG_20181225_215950.jpgIMG_20181226_210236.jpg

Ok, so one glass was missing and the dials were a bit tatty, but the complete side came up nicely, leaving some rust spots on the glassless side. At some stage, somebody had insulted it with a pair of AA battery quartz movements, but at least the hands had been retained, but this was not the end of the clock's misfortune as somebody had clearly started to saw it in half. It wasn't even a straight cut either. Terrible to think of somebody standing there, threatening it with a Spear & Jackson...

IMG_20181230_093242.jpg

Somehow, the clock's luck held out as they stopped sawing about a third of the way through. No idea why, but thank goodness. I don't have any E.C.S. (Smith's) pulse movements, so I did the usual GPO refurb thing and popped a couple of the Synchronome (1950's Sellotape can) movements in. Have filled most of the depth of the cut with wood glue, leaving a small trench for some of that plastic wood paste to be done in the new year.

IMG_20181230_095253.jpg
It's clicking away under test and I really do like it. I just need to add another cct to the GMT 34 relay sets as I am out of capacity for new clocks (again).

Simon Taylor

I forgot to copy the last photo, otherwise it all worked, Chuffed! Oh, I can copy and paste straight from my post on their website, bliss!

IMG_20181227_203027.jpg

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Simon Taylor

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Peter Torry

Hi Simon

All received OK here with all the pictures.

Kind regards

Peter

On 31/12/2018 10:40, Simon Taylor wrote:

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Jürgen Hoefeld

Hi, all received here in good complete order.
Juergen Hoefeld
Germany

Am Mo., 31. Dez. 2018 um 11:40 Uhr schrieb Simon Taylor <smktaylor1@...>:

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Ian Bell

Yes, absolutely

--
Ian Bell
London

James Kelly

Hi Simon

Many a clock has had operations performed on them but I think you scored a first there with the attempted cutting half, thank goodness they stopped and the clokc came into your capable hands.

looking forward to seeing the completed repair

Jim

andysetter

Hi Simon.
   All received here.
Andy

Sent: Monday, December 31, 2018 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] "...had tried to saw it in half." 😢

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

James Kelly

Hi Simon

just checked my email I got all 4 images also

Jim

PETER FLINT

All pictures received here - very nice rescue too!

On Monday, December 31, 2018, 10:40, Simon Taylor <smktaylor1@...> wrote:

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Brian Cracknell

Everything received nicely here. The first time I viewed the email the images did not load but I tried a second time and they were present. An issue my end no doubt.
Great news that this is working so smoothly!
Thanks Brian

Oh that is strange, on the initial message, all looks good on the group, but the email version I received only contained the content down to the first photo, the rest never made it? It could be something to do with coding as I copied it straight from the electric clock collecting forum.

Did anybody else get a longer email with (IIRC) 4 photos?

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Ian Richardson

That gives me an idea - I have a clockwork version of the same clock, maybe I could saw that in half, put a quartz movement in each half and sell it on ebay?

Oh no, it's not April 1st is it?

Happy New Year to all,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

(all piccies received by the way)

Test - paste text complete with photos in one go from Electriclockcollecting forum.
Poor clock! It was almost heartbreaking to see it. A lovely E.C.S. (English Clock Systems) GPO type 50A 12" double dial complete with wall bracket and octagonal mahogany case from 1953.

Norman Heckenberg

A little rain on our party like the NYE fireworks in Sydney last night. I got all the text here but just a horizontal line where the image should be (this is on an iphone). The line is linked to the image on tapatalk.com
I will check how my laptop deals with it when I get home, but I thought I would post now to wish everyone. Happy New Year
Norman

SE
0405 685 813

On 31 Dec 2018, at 21:20, Simon Taylor <smktaylor1@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh heck. Even as jest it still makes cringe a little. That poor clock and others like it...

Er, what would you do with the leftover bracket?  😃

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

Norman Heckenberg

Edited

Back home, I can report that on my iBook running Windows (don’t ask) I get a right click prompt to download each image. I can live with that.

Curiously, I replied to my own message that included Simon’s original message, where the images now appeared! I cut them out for this post to save bandwidth.

I’m not complaining, as I’m sure it’s the settings here that cause the problems.

Norman