GMT adjustment

Brian Cracknell

Hello,
After this morning's adjustment of the synchronome for GMT (which i did with the traditional method of stopping the pendulum and waiting an hour), I wondered out of curiosity if anyone had devised any clever ways to avoid stopping and starting the pendulum? For my Gents C7 I previously made a bypass circuit containing a couple of switches at each end and resistors equal to the value of all the clock dials in circuit. Then, for the hour of adjustment, the clock kept running but the current was directed through the resistors instead of the dials. I have not added this to the Synchronome because it was clumsy and unsightly but now that my Synchronome is keeping such good time it was a shame this morning to interrupt its regularity. Has anybody built something unobtrusive and elegant for this purpose or did the company originally offer some handy gadget? (The NRA function on the clock seems completely hopeless for this purpose - as with the C7 as I recall!)
Regards
Brian

John Hubert

The Synchronome distribution board does exactly that.  I put back my system yesterday (about 30 dials in 6 circuits via a 6 channel distribution board.  I switched all 6 dial circuits to “ADVANCE”, but didn’t press the button for the advance pulses.  The pendulum and count wheel/gravity arm continue to run, but the dials don’t advance.  After exactly 1 hour, all switches are returned to “NORMAL” and thats it.  Job done.

John

On 31 Oct 2021, at 17:27, Brian Cracknell <brcracknell@...> wrote:

[...]

Ah, I see. And does the pilot dial on the clock also stop for an hour as well or does that stay at GMT through the year?

[...]

Yes.  The pilot dial is connected in loop 1 (called the home loop) and controlled in the same way as the other loops.  It is done in quite an unusual way.  There is an explanation of how it works on pages 133/4 of the “Notes on Synchronome Clocks collated by ……” in the files section of this group.  From memory (it is a long time since I wrote it) there was a minor error in the circuit diagram of the board (which includes an emitter follower addition to protect the master contacts), and I’m not sure if that is the corrected version in that paper!  The same diagram (which is correct) is in Bob Miles’s book.

On 31 Oct 2021, at 17:52, Brian Cracknell <brcracknell@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Richardson

Hi Brian,

I did exactly what you described by providing a simple two-way switch to divert the external clock circuit to a rheostat which was adjusted to maintain the required current through the master clock, but the slave dials were kept out of circuit for an hour (or for 11 hours when the clocks go forward).  I then altered the pilot dial manually once the system was restored to normal working.  It was very simple and unobtrusive - and worked!!

Regards,
Ian R
Auvergne, France

[...]

Thank you John. I hadn't realised what a wealth of information resides in the file section. I will enjoy trying to get my head round the circuit logic for the distribution board in your document.
Regards
Brian

[...]

Hi Ian,

I bet your version was neater than mine then which was all Maplin bits and pieces and looked very unsightly. I have now remembered that for moving the dials forward in the spring, I incorporated a couple of batteries and a morse transmitter key and 120 presses later it was all sorted (stopping occasionally to allow the "genuine" clock pulse to come through.)