Topics

Gents Clock whats missing?

Andy Young

Jim,

Very nice!

Does the label J.T. Gent and Co give a clue to date? It could have been an early watchman’s clock, with all electrical bits stripped out.

Andy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of James Kelly via Groups.Io
Sent: 01 January 2019 16:37
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] Gents Clock wihats missing?

Here is a Gents cased fusee clock which is in a mahogany case of a shape and style I've not seen before, question is whats missing, it doesn't look like a nightwatchmans clock especially with it having had terminals to front of case, any ideas?

Jim 

Ian Richardson

Jim,

I'm certain that it IS a watchman's clock, and I have a very similar one (mine still has the terminals at the front - see attached).

I will rummage through my archives as I have a copy of an early Gent catalogue which shows the clock complete.  It did indeed have a circular disc driven be a vertical rod (missing on mine, but I made a replica copy).  Around the disc would have been electromagnetic arms with prickers on the end which, when activated, put marks on a circular card sitting on the disc.

The name "J T Gent" indicates it to be very early (Colin Reynolds or Derek Bird will know better) and the clock is a high quality gut fusee movement in a beautifully made mahogany case.  I've only seen one other, and that was (I think) in the hands of Paul Strickland?

Lucky you,

Best regards,
Ian R

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:50
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Gents Clock wihats missing?

Jim,

Very nice!

Does the label J.T. Gent and Co give a clue to date? It could have been an early watchman’s clock, with all electrical bits stripped out.

Andy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of James Kelly via Groups.Io
Sent: 01 January 2019 16:37
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] Gents Clock wihats missing?

Here is a Gents cased fusee clock which is in a mahogany case of a shape and style I've not seen before, question is whats missing, it doesn't look like a nightwatchmans clock especially with it having had terminals to front of case, any ideas?

Jim 

James Kelly

Hi Ian,and Andy

Many thanks for the image, I hadn't seen the earlier type of nightwatchmans clock by J T Gent with the rotating disc but its obvious now I compare that 
the clock I posted is an early type like yours Ian albeit it has had the solenoids and disc removed, still undecided whether to buy it as it would make a good restoration project. 

Regards

Jim