Topics

gathering arm jewel

Bob Desrochers

I have a synchronome clock in the shop for repair and someone has replaced the jewel in the gathering arm with a piece of brass. Can anyone advise me where I can locate a jewel of the correct size and/or the dimensions of what it should be. Thank you for your help.

Darren Conway

Hi

I had a similar problem with a missing jewel.  I used Vesconite which is a dry lubricated plastic intended for bearings.

Vesconite and similar products have abut the same low friction properties as ruby.

--

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Peter Torry

Hi Bob,

I think it unlikely that any original will be available however have a look for jewelled pallets from a visible Brocot escapement and choose a suitable one of them.

You can view a sample here:-    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/pallet-stones-brocot

Kind regards

Peter

On 03/01/2019 21:39, Bob Desrochers wrote:
I have a synchronome clock in the shop for repair and someone has replaced the jewel in the gathering arm with a piece of brass. Can anyone advise me where I can locate a jewel of the correct size and/or the dimensions of what it should be. Thank you for your help.

Ian Richardson

Hi Bob,

I have used ruby pallets for Brocot escapements, available from Meadows & Passmore in 2 sizes.  The smaller size is virtually identical to the original.

Failing that, make a half-round piece of silver steel of the right size, harden in dead hard (heat red hot then quench in cold water) and it will work well for many years.

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 22:53
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] gathering arm jewel

Hi Bob,
I think it unlikely that any original will be available however have a look for jewelled pallets from a visible Brocot escapement and choose a suitable one of them.
Kind regards
Peter

On 03/01/2019 21:39, Bob Desrochers wrote:

Odell, Edward

As other have pointed out, not too difficult to make, but there are others making them and currently on ebay uk,  (I have no connection to seller and have never bought one so cannot vouch for them)

Eddy Odell

From: synchronome1@groups.io [mailto:synchronome1@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Desrochers
Sent: 03 January 2019 21:39
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] gathering arm jewel

Chris

As already reported:

A seller on eBay UK regularly auctions complete, jewelled gathering arms.

Selling prices lie, on average, around £40 each.

This was one recent example. There are none listed presently.

Gathering Arm for Synchronome master clock | eBay

Chris.B

On 04/01/2019 04:12, paul@... wrote:
Try https://www.medmaw.com/cgi-bin/medmaw/medmaw.cgi and search for "pallets". You'll also need a stick of shellac for fastening it to the gathering arm. Search youtube for the technique.

Paul Pomes, DVM
Hagåtña, Guam

M R Marlow

Hi Bob
I had a similar situation, the gathering pallet on my clock appeared to have been made out of a paper clip. It functioned but clearly needed replacing and as already mentioned a suitable diameter brocot jewel was available from Cousins and I decided to make one. I then discovered a complete pallet assembly on ebay and took a chance on that. It looked identical to the originals and has worked perfectly since. I've noticed that they do appear intermittently on ebay, as do castings for the bracket. Possibly some sort of little cottage industry. However some three years ago the price was about 25 GBP , at 40 I would be inclined to make one. 1/32 silver steel would be fine for the arm.
Regards
Michael

Steve Berger

Hi Bob,
This jewel should work with just a touch of flake shellac to hold it in place.
Best regards, Steve

On Jan 3, 2019, at 2:39 PM, Bob Desrochers <clkmaker@...> wrote:

John Hutchinson

I used one of these.  Been running for 7 years now with no problems (that surprising fact makes me think the clock  might be due a service!!).  It looks like they are more expensive than the ones from Cousins though.