Topics

gathering arm jewel

Bob Desrochers

I have a synchronome clock in the shop for repair and someone has replaced the jewel in the gathering arm with a piece of brass. Can anyone advise me where I can locate a jewel of the correct size and/or the dimensions of what it should be. Thank you for your help.

Darren Conway

Hi

I had a similar problem with a missing jewel.  I used Vesconite which is a dry lubricated plastic intended for bearings.

Vesconite and similar products have abut the same low friction properties as ruby.

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

Peter Torry

Hi Bob,

I think it unlikely that any original will be available however have a look for jewelled pallets from a visible Brocot escapement and choose a suitable one of them.

You can view a sample here:-    https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/pallet-stones-brocot

Kind regards

Peter

On 03/01/2019 21:39, Bob Desrochers wrote:
I have a synchronome clock in the shop for repair and someone has replaced the jewel in the gathering arm with a piece of brass. Can anyone advise me where I can locate a jewel of the correct size and/or the dimensions of what it should be. Thank you for your help.

Ian Richardson

Hi Bob,

I have used ruby pallets for Brocot escapements, available from Meadows & Passmore in 2 sizes.  The smaller size is virtually identical to the original.

Failing that, make a half-round piece of silver steel of the right size, harden in dead hard (heat red hot then quench in cold water) and it will work well for many years.

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

I think it unlikely that any original will be available however have a look for jewelled pallets from a visible Brocot escapement and choose a suitable one of them.
Kind regards
Peter

On 03/01/2019 21:39, Bob Desrochers wrote:
I have a synchronome clock in the shop for repair and someone has replaced the jewel in the gathering arm with a piece of brass. Can anyone advise me where I can locate a jewel of the correct size and/or the dimensions of what it should be. Thank you for your help.

Odell, Edward

As other have pointed out, not too difficult to make, but there are others making them and currently on ebay uk,  (I have no connection to seller and have never bought one so cannot vouch for them)

Eddy Odell