Topics

FIXING A SYNCHRONOME MASTER 1920s IN MAHOGANY CASE TO A SOLID WALL?

Chris Wollaston

Hi, I've just joined the synchronome1 gp and am about to fix my lovely case to the solid wall above the floor so the clock face is about at eye level.  I've read about ensuring it is absolutely 'plum' in 2 planes but am concerned about how to set the centre and suspension point on the back of the clock.  There are 3 battens already across the back of the frame of the case.  Once I have the clock 'plum true', I'd like to use 2 flat small brass D-brackets down near the base on either side to fix the case in position so that the whole case doesn't move when the door is opened.  Any tips gratefully received. Bests, Chris in E Sussex.

Odell, Edward

Hi Chris,

congratulations on the new clock.

You will find full installation and setup instructions in the synchronome documents folder on the clockdoc website at

wpclockdoc.org

If you go to synchronome from the index there is a folder called synchronome documents and within that a further folder of installation, service and repair materials

For best accuracy your clock should be fixed to the wall through the battens on the back though many people, myself included, run clocks perfectly satisfactorily on the single hanging bracket and one stabilising screw. The hanging bracket on the back is really only designed to be used during setup to aid in getting the case vertical .  How securely you fix it depends on how much accuracy you are going for. Before fixing to the wall, also think about noise. Noise is going to travel up and down the wall (not a good idea to have the head of your bed above it) and the back of the case acts as a sound box so think about how you might fill the air space if noise is going to be a problem.

Good luck

Eddy Odell

Hi, I've just joined the synchronome1 gp and am about to fix my lovely case to the solid wall above the floor so the clock face is about at eye level.  I've read about ensuring it is absolutely 'plum' in 2 planes but am concerned about how to set the centre and suspension point on the back of the clock.  There are 3 battens already across the back of the frame of the case.  Once I have the clock 'plum true', I'd like to use 2 flat small brass D-brackets down near the base on either side to fix the case in position so that the whole case doesn't move when the door is opened.  Any tips gratefully received. Bests, Chris in E Sussex.

Brian Cracknell

Hi Chris,
Unless the wall is wonky the first plane will more or less take care of itself. For the side to side plane, use the hanging hook on the back of the case to get it supported temporarily  and then drill four holes into the wall through the holes already present in those battens, take the clock off again, enlarge the holes and fit rawlplugs. Then put the clock back on, perhaps fitting felt to the back of the battens to reduce vibration and then screw up tight with brass screws. There is no need for any additional brackets. The tighter the fixing, the more accurate will be the clock. Regards Brian

Hi, I've just joined the synchronome1 gp and am about to fix my lovely case to the solid wall above the floor so the clock face is about at eye level.  I've read about ensuring it is absolutely 'plum' in 2 planes but am concerned about how to set the centre and suspension point on the back of the clock.  There are 3 battens already across the back of the frame of the case.  Once I have the clock 'plum true', I'd like to use 2 flat small brass D-brackets down near the base on either side to fix the case in position so that the whole case doesn't move when the door is opened.  Any tips gratefully received. Bests, Chris in E Sussex.

Brian Cracknell

Meant to add the important bit about getting the case level I just used a long spirit level along the side of case and adjusted to level before marking the holes.

Hi, I've just joined the synchronome1 gp and am about to fix my lovely case to the solid wall above the floor so the clock face is about at eye level.  I've read about ensuring it is absolutely 'plum' in 2 planes but am concerned about how to set the centre and suspension point on the back of the clock.  There are 3 battens already across the back of the frame of the case.  Once I have the clock 'plum true', I'd like to use 2 flat small brass D-brackets down near the base on either side to fix the case in position so that the whole case doesn't move when the door is opened.  Any tips gratefully received. Bests, Chris in E Sussex.

Odell, Edward

Apologies Chris, in my reply the link should have been

wp.clockdoc.org

Eddy