From: John Haine <john.haine@...>
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 10:08
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] dial plate removal

Sorry, yet another question....

Wanting to remove the slave movement from the front plate, the actual dial is printed on a nicely finished thin aluminium plate which seems to be stuck to the main plate.  I need to remove it to access the screws that attach the movement, anyone know how it is stuck please?  It isn't particularly firmly fixed, one edge will flex upwards, but I don't want to apply any significant force as it may cause a bend in the plate which I'd never be able to remove.  Shellac?  Any ideas/information please?

John.

RICHARD ADAMEK

If it is Chattertons compo, a warm up with a hot air gun should soften it sufficiently without resort to solvent.

Marvellous stuff in the pre gunned mastic / rubber era :)

Richard

On Sunday, 31 March 2019, 10:06:20 BST, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io <irichar361@...> wrote:

Chatterton's Compound was, I believe, the stuff used to stick the dial on!!

I think it may be soluble in acetone or similar and shouldn't damage the dial.

Good luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#288) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

John Haine

Thanks - actually once I got the hour hand off, I slid a thin steel rule between dial and plate and the compound crumbled away...

For putting it back on I may add a couple of discreet screws, I don't like the idea of a fragile cosmetic component being stuck down with a modern glue.

Bill Burns

Chatterton's Compound is mostly gutta percha, which is thermoplastic, so a moderate amount of heat should help in the removal.

I haven't tried any solvents on gutta percha.

Bill

On 3/31/2019 5:06 AM, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io wrote:
Chatterton's Compound was, I believe, the stuff used to stick the dial on!!
I think it may be soluble in acetone or similar and shouldn't damage the dial.
Good luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK
Wanting to remove the slave movement from the front plate, the actual dial is printed on a nicely finished thin aluminium plate which seems to be stuck to the main plate.  I need to remove it to access the screws that attach the movement, anyone know how it is stuck please?  It isn't particularly firmly fixed, one edge will flex upwards, but I don't want to apply any significant force as it may cause a bend in the plate which I'd never be able to remove.  Shellac?  Any ideas/information please?
John.

John Haine

Thanks - the old gutta percha had hardened to something like brittle sealing wax, it was easy to scrape off the main plate and get the rest off with Scotchbrite.  I'll try some judicious heat on the dial plate, I don' want to scrape that as it's too thin and likely to dent.