Topics

Bulle suspension

Odell, Edward

Hi, not sure whether you know the correct size of the lead wire, I do not, but I can see that it needs to be larger than 0.4mm to be proud of the slot and squash.  Lead wire is difficult to find, if only because searches return lots of “lead out” wire.  However, try on ebay for fly tying materials where small amounts of lead wire are sold.  Some sellers have on 0.1mm diameter increments.  I guess 0.5mm should be the minimum size that would work, but squashed would not be as large as the lead I have removed from original suspensions.  In order to get the amount of lead I have measured in an original suspension, the wire diameter would have to be 0.7mm, which is quite a lot thicker than the 0.4mm slot. 

This seller (no relation) has all these sizes.  Would be interested to hear what works. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVYWEIGHT-LEAD-WIRE-for-Fly-Tying-Nymph/252680468565?hash=item3ad4edf855:m:mH-4s0RDvnWYMsdmuX9B8HQ

anyone know the correct screws/thread?

Eddy Odell

Sent: 13 January 2020 18:41
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: RE: [synchronomeelectricclock] Bulle pendulum

Dear Phil

I have measurements for a Bulle suspension for the large type A clock  that is a bit younger than yours. If anyone suggests they are different, I do have a clock with about the same serial number I could measure, but I think they are all the same, until quite late.

Both ends of the suspension are the same, the brass is 16 mm x 7 mm and 1 mm in thickness. There is a single groove 1.5 mm wide running 0.7 mm inside the long edge on one side piece of each pair only.  The slot is 0.4 mm deep.   This takes a lead strip.  It is difficult to get the dimensions of the lead, if you measure one from an assembled suspension it comes out as 1.4 mm wide and about 0.3 mm thick. However, the lead is supposed to be slightly thicker than this initially and squash onto the ribbon as the suspension is assembled, to grip the ribbon.  I remember being told that the slot was to take lead wire, so it may even have been round before assembly. Perhaps somebody else knows better.   The central hole is 2.5 mm in diameter. I'm afraid I do not have the dimensions for the screws but I remember being told by someone who had made some suspensions that the very short screws of the right size were no longer available, probably why some of the replacements available have been riveted.  The two screw holes are central in the gap between the edge of the brass and the edge of the central hole .  There are two pieces of ribbon, each 6 mm wide.

Eddy Odell

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Philip Green via Groups.Io
Sent: 13 January 2020 16:29
To:
synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Bulle pendulum

Thank you Peter,

I have seen the site but it doesn't give any dimensions and the suspension I'm taking out doesn't look original  I was hoping to make my own jig but wanted to be certain of the dimensions rather than guess!

Regards

Phil

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM Peter Torry via Groups.Io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Philip,

I haven't seen a response to you request so may I suggest that you have a look at:  http://www.horologix.com/Suspension_Assembly.pdf

The suspensions that I have worked on have had a groove in the chops that appeared to have a strip of lead or solder in it I assume to give a firm contact to the silk.

Kind regards

Peter

On 13/01/2020 10:38, Philip Green wrote:

Hello,

I am restoring a tall Bulle no. 1614 which sits under a glass dome and it needs the pendulum suspension replacing.

Did all the pendulum chops have a groove in one of each pair? As the chop thickness is only 1 mm there is not much room for it? 

Does any one have the dimensions of the chops Please? 

Thank you

Phil

peteqs

I haven’t checked but would think a standard gauge solder would fit the bill.  I have 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, & 2.0mm dia.in my solder tray. Most solder is nearly all lead so would do the trick.

Peter Sweeney

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 21:29, Odell, Edward via Groups.Io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Hi, not sure whether you know the correct size of the lead wire, I do not, but I can see that it needs to be larger than 0.4mm to be proud of the slot and squash.  Lead wire is difficult to find, if only because searches return lots of “lead out” wire.  However, try on ebay for fly tying materials where small amounts of lead wire are sold.  Some sellers have on 0.1mm diameter increments.  I guess 0.5mm should be the minimum size that would work, but squashed would not be as large as the lead I have removed from original suspensions.  In order to get the amount of lead I have measured in an original suspension, the wire diameter would have to be 0.7mm, which is quite a lot thicker than the 0.4mm slot. 

This seller (no relation) has all these sizes.  Would be interested to hear what works. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVYWEIGHT-LEAD-WIRE-for-Fly-Tying-Nymph/252680468565?hash=item3ad4edf855:m:mH-4s0RDvnWYMsdmuX9B8HQ

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

I have measurements for a Bulle suspension for the large type A clock  that is a bit younger than yours. If anyone suggests they are different, I do have a clock with about the same serial number I could measure, but I think they are all the same, until quite late.

Both ends of the suspension are the same, the brass is 16 mm x 7 mm and 1 mm in thickness. There is a single groove 1.5 mm wide running 0.7 mm inside the long edge on one side piece of each pair only.  The slot is 0.4 mm deep.   This takes a lead strip.  It is difficult to get the dimensions of the lead, if you measure one from an assembled suspension it comes out as 1.4 mm wide and about 0.3 mm thick. However, the lead is supposed to be slightly thicker than this initially and squash onto the ribbon as the suspension is assembled, to grip the ribbon.  I remember being told that the slot was to take lead wire, so it may even have been round before assembly. Perhaps somebody else knows better.   The central hole is 2.5 mm in diameter. I'm afraid I do not have the dimensions for the screws but I remember being told by someone who had made some suspensions that the very short screws of the right size were no longer available, probably why some of the replacements available have been riveted.  The two screw holes are central in the gap between the edge of the brass and the edge of the central hole .  There are two pieces of ribbon, each 6 mm wide.

Eddy Odell

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Philip Green via Groups.Io
To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

I have seen the site but it doesn't give any dimensions and the suspension I'm taking out doesn't look original  I was hoping to make my own jig but wanted to be certain of the dimensions rather than guess!

Regards

Phil

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM Peter Torry via Groups.Io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Philip,

I haven't seen a response to you request so may I suggest that you have a look at:  http://www.horologix.com/Suspension_Assembly.pdf

The suspensions that I have worked on have had a groove in the chops that appeared to have a strip of lead or solder in it I assume to give a firm contact to the silk.

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

I am restoring a tall Bulle no. 1614 which sits under a glass dome and it needs the pendulum suspension replacing.

Did all the pendulum chops have a groove in one of each pair? As the chop thickness is only 1 mm there is not much room for it? 

Thank you

Phil

Odell, Edward

Hi Peter, good point, the softness of the material in an old suspension might well mean it was solder, but need to make sure its not fluxed of course if using a modern electrical solder

Eddy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of peteqs via Groups.Io
Sent: 14 January 2020 21:57
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Bulle suspension

I haven’t checked but would think a standard gauge solder would fit the bill.  I have 0.5, 0.8, 1.2, & 2.0mm dia.in my solder tray. Most solder is nearly all lead so would do the trick.

Peter Sweeney

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 at 21:29, Odell, Edward via Groups.Io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

Both ends of the suspension are the same, the brass is 16 mm x 7 mm and 1 mm in thickness. There is a single groove 1.5 mm wide running 0.7 mm inside the long edge on one side piece of each pair only.  The slot is 0.4 mm deep.   This takes a lead strip.  It is difficult to get the dimensions of the lead, if you measure one from an assembled suspension it comes out as 1.4 mm wide and about 0.3 mm thick. However, the lead is supposed to be slightly thicker than this initially and squash onto the ribbon as the suspension is assembled, to grip the ribbon.  I remember being told that the slot was to take lead wire, so it may even have been round before assembly. Perhaps somebody else knows better.   The central hole is 2.5 mm in diameter. I'm afraid I do not have the dimensions for the screws but I remember being told by someone who had made some suspensions that the very short screws of the right size were no longer available, probably why some of the replacements available have been riveted.  The two screw holes are central in the gap between the edge of the brass and the edge of the central hole .  There are two pieces of ribbon, each 6 mm wide.

Eddy Odell

To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

Regards

Phil

Hello Philip,

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

Thank you

Phil

Peter Torry

Eddy,

I have used the old 24SWG solder wire with success.  There are many suppliers of solder in 0.1mm increments with 0.5mm being about right.

Kind regards

Peter

On 14/01/2020 22:02, Odell, Edward via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Peter, good point, the softness of the material in an old suspension might well mean it was solder, but need to make sure its not fluxed of course if using a modern electrical solder

Eddy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of peteqs via Groups.Io

Peter Sweeney

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

Eddy Odell

To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

Regards

Phil

Hello Philip,

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

Thank you

Phil

Philip Green

I was going to use solder as it appears to be the right sort of diameter. The idea is that is clamps the ribbon and stops it moving so shouldn't be too critical?

Phil

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 9:29 PM Odell, Edward via Groups.Io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

Eddy Odell

To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

Regards

Phil

Hello Philip,

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

Thank you

Phil

Mark Tomlin

It has taken a while to find the invoice.

I purchased some screws for these suspensions back in 2013 which I have not made yet from Precision Technology Supplies. https://www.pts-uk.com 

They have a very large selection of of very small screws.  The that I thought were correct for the suspension were M1.4 X 2 SLOT CSK MACHINE SCREWS.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Mark

On 15/01/2020, at 11:42 AM, Peter Torry via Groups.Io <peter.torry@...> wrote:

Eddy,

I have used the old 24SWG solder wire with success.  There are many suppliers of solder in 0.1mm increments with 0.5mm being about right.

Kind regards

Peter

Eddy

Peter Sweeney

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

Eddy Odell

To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

Regards

Phil

Hello Philip,

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

Thank you

Phil

Odell, Edward

I don’t know the correct screw type, but I know a man who does

I will see if I can get details

Eddy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Tomlin via Groups.Io
Sent: 11 March 2020 23:46

It has taken a while to find the invoice.

I purchased some screws for these suspensions back in 2013 which I have not made yet from Precision Technology Supplies. https://www.pts-uk.com 

They have a very large selection of of very small screws.  The that I thought were correct for the suspension were M1.4 X 2 SLOT CSK MACHINE SCREWS.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers

Mark

On 15/01/2020, at 11:42 AM, Peter Torry via Groups.Io <peter.torry@...> wrote:

Eddy,

Kind regards

Peter

Eddy

Peter Sweeney

Eddy Odell

Dear Phil

Eddy Odell

To:
synchronome1@groups.io

Thank you Peter,

Regards

Phil

Hello Philip,

Kind regards

Peter

Hello,

Thank you

Phil

Philip Green

I have made a new suspension to the dimensions kindly supplied earlier and used 12 BA screws as suggested. The only problem I had was the ribbon which was bit too thick so I had to thin the brass a little. The clock is working well at the moment in spite of not having the damper fitted as it was missing and I haven't got round to making a new one! Next job?

Thanks to all who contributed to the information.

Phil