Topics

Bulle pendulum

Philip Green

Hello,

I am restoring a tall Bulle no. 1614 which sits under a glass dome and it needs the pendulum suspension replacing.

Did all the pendulum chops have a groove in one of each pair? As the chop thickness is only 1 mm there is not much room for it?

Does any one have the dimensions of the chops Please?

Thank you

Phil

Peter Torry

Hello Philip,

I haven't seen a response to you request so may I suggest that you have a look at:  http://www.horologix.com/Suspension_Assembly.pdf

The suspensions that I have worked on have had a groove in the chops that appeared to have a strip of lead or solder in it I assume to give a firm contact to the silk.

Kind regards

Peter

On 13/01/2020 10:38, Philip Green wrote:
Hello,

I am restoring a tall Bulle no. 1614 which sits under a glass dome and it needs the pendulum suspension replacing.

Did all the pendulum chops have a groove in one of each pair? As the chop thickness is only 1 mm there is not much room for it?

Does any one have the dimensions of the chops Please?

Thank you

Phil

Philip Green

Thank you Peter,

I have seen the site but it doesn't give any dimensions and the suspension I'm taking out doesn't look original  I was hoping to make my own jig but wanted to be certain of the dimensions rather than guess!

Regards

Phil

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 1:53 PM Peter Torry via Groups.Io <peter.torry=talktalk.net@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Philip,

I haven't seen a response to you request so may I suggest that you have a look at:  http://www.horologix.com/Suspension_Assembly.pdf

The suspensions that I have worked on have had a groove in the chops that appeared to have a strip of lead or solder in it I assume to give a firm contact to the silk.

Kind regards

Peter

On 13/01/2020 10:38, Philip Green wrote:
Hello,

I am restoring a tall Bulle no. 1614 which sits under a glass dome and it needs the pendulum suspension replacing.

Did all the pendulum chops have a groove in one of each pair? As the chop thickness is only 1 mm there is not much room for it?

Does any one have the dimensions of the chops Please?

Thank you

Phil

Odell, Edward

Dear Phil

I have measurements for a Bulle suspension for the large type A clock  that is a bit younger than yours. If anyone suggests they are different, I do have a clock with about the same serial number I could measure, but I think they are all the same, until quite late.

Both ends of the suspension are the same, the brass is 16 mm x 7 mm and 1 mm in thickness. There is a single groove 1.5 mm wide running 0.7 mm inside the long edge on one side piece of each pair only.  The slot is 0.4 mm deep.   This takes a lead strip.  It is difficult to get the dimensions of the lead, if you measure one from an assembled suspension it comes out as 1.4 mm wide and about 0.3 mm thick. However, the lead is supposed to be slightly thicker than this initially and squash onto the ribbon as the suspension is assembled, to grip the ribbon.  I remember being told that the slot was to take lead wire, so it may even have been round before assembly. Perhaps somebody else knows better.   The central hole is 2.5 mm in diameter. I'm afraid I do not have the dimensions for the screws but I remember being told by someone who had made some suspensions that the very short screws of the right size were no longer available, probably why some of the replacements available have been riveted.  The two screw holes are central in the gap between the edge of the brass and the edge of the central hole .  There are two pieces of ribbon, each 6 mm wide.

Eddy Odell

[...]

Hello Eddy,
Thank you very much that's brilliant, just what I wanted.
It's as I thought the one at present is a homemade affair made out of what looks like beaten brass?
The lead strip, I know, starts off round and is squashed into the groove to hold the ribbon in place.
Many thanks

Phil

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Odell, Edward via Groups.Io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

OK Phil,  will dig out some information and copy it for you but it may take a day or two of rummaging.

Kind regards

Peter

On 13/01/2020 16:29, Philip Green wrote:
[...]

ffolliott

There are still some good images on the old excellent Horologix site...try here..... http://www.horologix.com/Suspension_Assembly.pdf

Geoff

[...]

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Philip Green

Thanks Peter but Eddy Odell has sent me the dimensions.

Phil