From: Graham Mitchell <gmclocks@...>
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 2:02
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] Australian 3/4 Seconds Synchronome

I have added an album on this clock plus a video

https://youtu.be/AwUnphPE7io

Graham

James Kelly

Hi Graham
That’s a lovely clock, the 3/4 sec or baby Synchronome1 are a very rare beast, I imagine the Australian version is even rarer.
It’s great to see you have it running and have shared for us all to enjoy

Jim

On 25 Oct 2019, at 01:02, Graham Mitchell <gmclocks@...> wrote:

I have added an album on this clock plus a video

https://youtu.be/AwUnphPE7io

Graham

Graham Mitchell

Hi Ian,
          All advice is gratefully received!
I have adjusted the gathering arm in this video.  What do you think?
There's a Shimmy backwards of the wheel at impuse still to be resolved

Graham
Sydney

https://youtu.be/VA4UepSffiw

Ian Richardson

Hi Graham,

It's not really any better is it?  The gathering jewel doesn't actually leave the tooth just gathered, as it should and the gravity arm is still being given a nudge.  At this distance, it's difficult to be precise as to how this should can be improved, but when at rest the jewel should sit exactly between two teeth.  This can be affected  by a) shifting the position of the chops in the trunnion at the top of the frame or b) altering the length of the gathering wire or c) altering the vertical orientation of the clock or d) altering the position of the glass roller backstop.

Of these, the easiest is the first - shift the top trunnion to left or right until the jewel sits in between two teeth.  Set the pendulum swinging and watch what happens to the jewel after it has pulled the tooth - it should clear the tooth just pulled and carry on past for a bit.  On its return, it should not touch the tip of the tooth just pulled, but clear it to gather the next tooth.

This critical adjustment is easier with the normal 1 second clock because the wheel has fewer teeth (30 as opposed to your 40).  I will try to post a video on YouTube of my 3/4 seconds clock to illustrate what I'm trying to describe.

Still a nice clock!

Cheers,
Ian

I have adjusted the gathering arm in this video.  What do you think?
There's a Shimmy backwards of the wheel at impuse still to be resolved

Graham
Sydney

https://youtu.be/VA4UepSffiw

Ian Richardson

Graham et al,

Here's a link to the YouTube vid of my clock:

A couple of things to note: one is the early shape of the impulse pallet with a round nose and the catch which is of an early design.  This clock gets a mention in the first edition of Bob Miles' book on Synchronome (Page 72).

Cheers,

I have adjusted the gathering arm in this video.  What do you think?
There's a Shimmy backwards of the wheel at impuse still to be resolved

Graham
Sydney

https://youtu.be/VA4UepSffiw

Graham Mitchell

Hi Ian,
          Thanks for the video.  I now see what you meant.  I adjusted mine accordingle but it presented further problems as in the attached video
The gathering" pallet" is simply a round wire.  When set to just engage the gathering tooth, it doesn't have the force for the vane to unlatch and goes like a machine gun.  The latching doesn't happen either. Varying the spring tension hasn't fixed this problem yet.
So I'm pondering what to do next,
Regards
               https://youtu.be/YXkzf65_xjo

Norman Heckenberg

Hi Graham,

As far as I know, the gathering pallets on the one second clocks made in Brisbane originally had a steel half cylindrical ‘jewel’ which would have been heavier than the wire one. I suspect yours is a later replacement as they are very easily lost. But because the tooth space on the countwheel is smaller, a steel cylinder pallet might not have fitted, so it might be original. If it is spring steel wire I would persist. If it is a paperclip, it might be worth making a new pallet.

Norman

          Thanks for the video.  I now see what you meant.  I adjusted mine accordingle but it presented further problems as in the attached video
The gathering" pallet" is simply a round wire.  When set to just engage the gathering tooth, it doesn't have the force for the vane to unlatch and goes like a machine gun.  The latching doesn't happen either. Varying the spring tension hasn't fixed this problem yet.
So I'm pondering what to do next,
Regards
               https://youtu.be/YXkzf65_xjo

Eric Scace

Hi Graham —

   The problem appears to be that the solenoid does not raise the gravity arm high enough to latch reliably under this configuration.

   Try adjusting the solenoid’s armateur to raise the gravity arm a bit higher during the reset portion.

— Eric