Topics

auction syncronome

john robinson

I'm on lists for synchronomes in auctions, this popped up...

john robinson
mechanician

Senior parachute rigger with 14 saved lives
Land Speed record holder Bonneville Salt Flats
     1981 Dodge Colt H/GCC 144.396 MPH
     1967 BSA Victor 107.371 MPH
USAShooting Air Pistol National Record holder
Ice Core Driller Antarctica and Greenland
Grandpa

A question I have is that since Master clocks gave a pulse every 30 seconds how was this slave controlled?

Simon

--
Simon

John Hubert

This type of dial was run from a master with a seconds switch, of which there are two ‘common’ Synchronome types, driven from a small toggle from the pendulum.

Seconds could also be taken from a magnetically operated ‘reed’ type switch, though I have more usually seen that used in later clocks like those used in mains frequency monitoring.

Dials of this type were often supplied with a Shortt type clock for use in observatories.

John

On 6 Jun 2020, at 08:33, Simon Allen <simon.sallen@...> wrote:

A question I have is that since Master clocks gave a pulse every 30 seconds how was this slave controlled?

Simon

On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 01:27, john robinson <johnrobinson457@...> wrote:

I'm on lists for synchronomes in auctions, this popped up...

john robinson
mechanician
Senior parachute rigger with 14 saved lives
Land Speed record holder Bonneville Salt Flats
     1981 Dodge Colt H/GCC 144.396 MPH
     1967 BSA Victor 107.371 MPH
USAShooting Air Pistol National Record holder
Ice Core Driller Antarctica and Greenland
Grandpa

--
Simon

Price Russ

According to Miles’s book Synchronome, the dial in the listing in the posting from last Friday is the type used on the Shortt inertia escapement clocks of 1911. Later dials used on the Type B slaves of the Shortt free pendulum clocks had a somewhat simplified design and are more common.

Price Russ

I'm on lists for synchronomes in auctions, this popped up...

john robinson
mechanician

Senior parachute rigger with 14 saved lives

Land Speed record holder Bonneville Salt Flats
     1981 Dodge Colt H/GCC 144.396 MPH
     1967 BSA Victor 107.371 MPH
USAShooting Air Pistol National Record holder

Ice Core Driller Antarctica and Greenland
Grandpa

Price Russ

Anybody know what the Synchronome dial sold for?

Thanks.

Price Russ

I'm on lists for synchronomes in auctions, this popped up...

john robinson
mechanician

Senior parachute rigger with 14 saved lives

Land Speed record holder Bonneville Salt Flats
     1981 Dodge Colt H/GCC 144.396 MPH
     1967 BSA Victor 107.371 MPH
USAShooting Air Pistol National Record holder

Ice Core Driller Antarctica and Greenland
Grandpa

Paul biggs

Lot 559: A RARE SYNCHRONOME ELECTRIC REGULATOR SLAVE CLOCK

Est: £1,000 - £1,500
Sold: £1900

Hutchinson Scott Limited

June 20, 2020