ANTIQUARIAN HOROLOGICAL SOC. ELECTRICAL GP.

Chris Wollaston

Hello Peter, tks for the recommendation and yes, I did consider it a few months ago plus took some advice from clock enthusiasts and dealers locally who were a bit dismissive due to annual cost of membership. For me as a beginner with all sorts of clocks I have collected around my house, I did worry that it's a bit 'hi-brow' and deep techy so perhaps when I've actually had a chance to meet a few members in person and discuss the situation I might reconsider.
I'm one of those people who love mechanical things and like to see them in action and talk to the owner face-to-face to soak up the enthusiasm and passion.
I'm finding this constant sitting at a keyboard bashing keys sending emails rather sterile and frustrating and v puzzled why there's not a willingness to pick up a phone and have a chat or meet on a Zoom to show stuff live?
Anyway, thanks for the heads up on AHS. Bests, Chris in E Sussex 07970 530655 I use WhatsApp and it's free!!!

H Hal

Chris,

I'm a little late to the thread so you may well have answered before....have you posted a video..with sound of your troubled clock so we can hear and see it....such videos are very useful for this.

You appear to be ict literate and "willing" to share, so let's see it

regards

hal

On 03/06/2021 15:33, Chris Wollaston wrote:
[...]

ffolliott

Hi  Chris...well I have been a member of the AHS and the EHG for over twenty years with a pre-internet  interest in clocks three times this long going back to my school days - this is just a hobby but the benefits of AHS membership only seem to go on increasing. You can inhabit and tap into a world of like minded enthusiasts not only with emails but some meet-ups within a well organised framework of input to support an interest at all levels.  This may provide information, research material, talks and lectures at a source point. If nothing else the availability of instant digitalised searchable research material of past periodicals, publications , video lectures and past members technical papers on various topics are worth the cost of the membership alone.

This is a personal opinion but reflects the " make of it what you will" benefits as I see them.

All best

Tic Toc ....Geoff

[...]

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Chris Wollaston

Hi Geoff, Many tks for your i/p and yes, on this means I'm already gratefully receiving helpful advice about my 'reluctant-to-run' electro-mech clocks.  I just wish I had your many years of experience under my belt to tackle the issues. Re AHS & EHGp, naturally, I do know a wee bit about them as I've already bought the Society's 3 publications by Bob Miles, Brillie, Bulle & Synchronome Edn2 - a beautifully illustrated tome which I've been devouring.
However, I'm at the stage now with my 1925 Synchronome & 1960 Inducta where I require practical on-site instruction from someone who knows what they are doing so I can watch, listen & learn. (I am prepared to pay reasonable expenses as I feel it's very important to get this set up absolutely right.)
I'd be delighted to discuss EHGp and some of the current issues with you on the phone and look forward to your call - early evening would probably be preferable.
Very Best Regards, Chris in E Sussex  m: 07970 530655