Topics

Lifting a pendulum

wwwrogerj.codotuk@...

The extension to the rating thread in a regular 'Nome "points" to the beat plate...which is useful !

 Photo by Bob....Roger

John Haine

Ah yes good point!  Actually the end of mine isn't pointed, the rating screw is hidden inside the bob and only the adjusting knob protrudes.  One could make a block with a hole to clear the point to go on top of the bag rather than below.

Philip Green

Edited

I feel the pointed end of the pendulum would need covering to stop it puncturing the bag!

Phil

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 10:31 AM John Haine <john.haine@...> wrote:
One of the problems I find with my clock build is that the 'Nome pendulum is darn heavy!  Lifting 7 kgs of cast iron with a delicate suspension spring on top into the case and placing the upper chops onto the bracket can be a bit fraught.  The other day in Lidl I came across a pack of two of these:

They are stout reinforced plastic pouches with an inflator bulb attached, intended for jobs like lifting doors into precise position.  Put the pouch under your heavy object, inflate to lift into position, fix then deflate.  Described as "air wedges".  I've seen similar in my local tool shop at ~£15 each - I doubt the Lidl box of two was even that much.  So, put a wood block on the bottom of the case with the wedge on top of it; stand the bob on the wedge, inflate.

Once the chops are above the bracket, carefully tilt pendulum back until in correct position, then deflate to leave bob hanging in place.

Hope this suggestion may be helpful...

John Haine