Thanks for the invite.

wwwrogerj.codotuk@...

.Hi Bob..I think you must be S*****r from another forum ? I've not done a lot of posting or even lurking for a while although clock fiddling has gone on unabated ! Mostly with the DIY clock - which is still not finished..However as I said in my starter post I'm starting on another similar one...Roger

Bob

Hi Roger,
Yes it's me. Glad to hear you are still tweaking and buiding. Most of my time is now taken up with conventional clocks, but my faithful Synchronome is still clunking away happily. I look forward to hearing about your new project.

Chris

A pneumatic damper of the [normally vicious] gravity arm re-latch is not rocket science. [G&J]
A roller re-latch is also much gentler process. [Shortt FP]
Magnetic effects from iron back plates and closely mounted electromagnets has been discussed in the past. [HJ?]
Brass is not hideously expensive in the sizes required. Particularly at "tame" scrap dealer prices.
Flexure of the base frame at the flimsy suspension chops is another grey area.
The mounting of the Synchronome movement in such a flimsy case,
using only a couple of short wood screws, has long been a matter of concern in precision circles.

Why cling to any Synchronome basics when all of its "theoretical foibles" can be relatively easily addressed mechanically?
Any connection between century-old theory and the original master clock is completely severed by modern electronics.
Surely the real challenge would to make a mechanical amalgam of all the successful master clocks?

Adding electronics produces a Zanzibar Fallacy that you are actually doing something useful to improve the Synchronome's timekeeping.
When you are really putting a dumb monitor on the weight tray. One whom chucks stuff on and off, to frantic, external, hand movements.
Or was that the Gents' Observatory Transmitter?  Now that was a work of true genius! ;-)

Chris.B