Topics

Regulator style slave

RICHARD ADAMEK

I like the 'negative effect' dial Simon, although I hadn't considered the 1bps heartbeat before seeing the video - may need to find some sanity retaining method of quietening a bit.

I don't know why this dial pattern became popular for regulators but pre Shortt Synchronome they would have been standard in observatories as the most accurate clocks available (I assume at least if not more accurate than a marine chronometer but have never seen that defined !)

I'll have to have a dig through the stores to see what wheelwork and solenoids I might mash together.

Cheers

Richard

On Friday, 11 January 2019, 09:22:48 GMT, Simon Taylor <smktaylor1@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,

We had a Synchronome ‘observatory’ slave clock (That was my name for it). I have a video about it, so you can see if this is what you were thinking off.

Simon GPO clocks

RICHARD ADAMEK

Thanks Simon, Jim beat you to it and I've now seen them :)  but there may be others unfamiliar with the new platform scratching their heads like I was, glad to follow the link  :)

Richard

On Friday, 11 January 2019, 20:36:25 GMT, Simon Taylor <smktaylor1@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,

it is in the online group.

Hopefully the following link will take you to the photo album…

Simon GPO clocks

Simon Taylor

Hi Richard,

it is in the online group.

Hopefully the following link will take you to the photo album…

Simon GPO clocks

On 11 Jan 2019, at 19:25pm, RICHARD ADAMEK via Groups.Io <oldenginehouse@...> wrote:

Thanks Gentlemen all for your useful info,

I may have missed something earlier in the life of this new platform Jim, not quite certain where to look for the photo section - perhaps I'm just a dafter old fart than I thought ;)

On Friday, 11 January 2019, 17:03:50 GMT, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Richard, Simon and Chris,

There is a file in the photos section titled Synchronome Astronomical slaves, there are a number of images in there of both dial and movemnets.

Regards

Jim

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

RICHARD ADAMEK

Thanks Gentlemen all for your useful info,

I may have missed something earlier in the life of this new platform Jim, not quite certain where to look for the photo section - perhaps I'm just a dafter old fart than I thought ;)

On Friday, 11 January 2019, 17:03:50 GMT, James Kelly via Groups.Io <jimfortress@...> wrote:

Richard, Simon and Chris,

There is a file in the photos section titled Synchronome Astronomical slaves, there are a number of images in there of both dial and movemnets.

Regards

Jim

Simon Taylor

Brilliant Jim,
nice to see others. That first one with the black dial is the one we had running on the system in the shop and a link to a video of it is earlier in this topic!

Simon GPO Clocks

http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/gpo/clocksystems/index.html

James Kelly

Richard, Simon and Chris,

There is a file in the photos section titled Synchronome Astronomical slaves, there are a number of images in there of both dial and movemnets.

Regards

Jim

Chris

The Shortt pendulum slave clocks had a regulator dial.
A couple of images from film taken at Liverpool Museum many years ago.
The usual master clock construction books had drawings of the regulator movement.

Simon Taylor

Hi Richard,

We had a Synchronome ‘observatory’ slave clock (That was my name for it). I have a video about it, so you can see if this is what you were thinking off.

Simon GPO clocks

On 11 Jan 2019, at 02:43am, RICHARD ADAMEK via Groups.Io <oldenginehouse@...> wrote:

While folk are delving among drawings, I have seen somewhere a regulator style slave somewhere, not sure if an amateur adapted a conventional movement or a manufacturers special but essentially a bar frame with three separate arbors for hour minute and second hands.

Anyone have or can point me at a drawing / plan for such a beast? as I thought it would be nice to utilise the seconds signal from my PO36/7 when I get round to refurbishing it.

A neighbour was watching me wangle out an outside facing dial the other day and we ended up having a chat about distributed time systems which he had never come across and I showed him the masters with a bunch of knackered slave dials on the bench, I was moaning about my lack of skill with a pen, turns out he works for a signwriters where no one uses a pen any more, if I make him a drawing using cad or a decent monochrome photo he can either print or vinyl cut onto a plastic sheet (like upvc barge boards) to any size or scale - sounds like a worthwhile experiment, estate agents signs seem to last almost indefinitely with no protection :)

Richard