Topics

Gents Clock wihats missing?

James Kelly

Hi Ian

Yes ok I managed to talk him down, will try and route out that C/s synchronome slave this coming week.

Jim

Ian Richardson

Jim,

Do I take it that you got a good deal then?

Ian

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 22:32
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Gents Clock wihats missing?

Hi Ian

That's interesting but the clock I'm buying has is I think the same as yours as it has all the screw holes and markings where the 
pricking solenoids would be on the inside base of the clock, I'll know for sure when I pick it up next week'

Will post some better pictures when I get it.

Regards

Jim

On Saturday, 5 January 2019, 18:51:35 GMT, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io <irichar361@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Looking through other records, I find that an "Electric Watchman's Clock" is illustrated in the Gent catalogue of 1886.  It uses a horizontal disc which carries a paper disc which is pricked by electromagnetically operated arms.  It is identical to the one that I have, but I also discovered that in a later (1895) catalogue, they also list one with a horizonral cyndrical drum carrying a paper, and is marked with ink markers.  The clock that Jim was refering to could conceivably have been one of those.

The later types of noctuary use a vertical cylinder, marking with fingers via a typewriter-like inked ribbon. 

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclefield, UK

Sent: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 23:04

Jim et al,

According to one of Colin Renold's books, "J T Gent & Co" traded from 1872 to 1892 (or thereabouts) when the name changed to "Gent & Company".

I bought my clock in the same condition as yours, Jim, intending to replace the missing parts.  I made the bevel gear, vertical drive, sliding coupling to the disc, disc and disc mounting - all from photos provided by Paul Strickland (at least, I THINK it was him - apologies if it wasn't).  I then stumbled a bit over how to provide the elctromagnetic prickers - and that's where the restoration has stopped!!  

Maybe one day......

However, if the price is right, I would certainly go ahead and buy it.

Best of luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Sent: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 19:50

Hi Eddy

You are right Ian has just posted and image of his early J T Gent nightwatchamns clock with the disc as you mentioned.

Thanks again

JIm

James Kelly

Hi Ian

That's interesting but the clock I'm buying has is I think the same as yours as it has all the screw holes and markings where the 
pricking solenoids would be on the inside base of the clock, I'll know for sure when I pick it up next week'

Will post some better pictures when I get it.

Regards

Jim

On Saturday, 5 January 2019, 18:51:35 GMT, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io <irichar361@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Looking through other records, I find that an "Electric Watchman's Clock" is illustrated in the Gent catalogue of 1886.  It uses a horizontal disc which carries a paper disc which is pricked by electromagnetically operated arms.  It is identical to the one that I have, but I also discovered that in a later (1895) catalogue, they also list one with a horizonral cyndrical drum carrying a paper, and is marked with ink markers.  The clock that Jim was refering to could conceivably have been one of those.

The later types of noctuary use a vertical cylinder, marking with fingers via a typewriter-like inked ribbon. 

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclefield, UK

Jim et al,

According to one of Colin Renold's books, "J T Gent & Co" traded from 1872 to 1892 (or thereabouts) when the name changed to "Gent & Company".

I bought my clock in the same condition as yours, Jim, intending to replace the missing parts.  I made the bevel gear, vertical drive, sliding coupling to the disc, disc and disc mounting - all from photos provided by Paul Strickland (at least, I THINK it was him - apologies if it wasn't).  I then stumbled a bit over how to provide the elctromagnetic prickers - and that's where the restoration has stopped!!  

Maybe one day......

Best of luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Eddy

You are right Ian has just posted and image of his early J T Gent nightwatchamns clock with the disc as you mentioned.

Thanks again

JIm

Ian Richardson

Hi All,

Best regards,
Ian R
Macclefield, UK

Jim et al,

Maybe one day......

Best of luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Eddy

Thanks again

JIm

James Kelly

Hi Ian

I'll let you know if I purchase it Ian still in negotiation regarding price. 

ATB

Jim

Ian Richardson

Jim et al,

Maybe one day......

Best of luck,
Ian R
Macclesfield, UK

Hi Eddy

Thanks again

JIm