Re: The Impulse Roller & Shape of Pallet

Neville Michie

If you were prepared to make a serious task out of the experiment,
you could add a horizontal bar with an adjustable weight, to displace the
pendulum zero position. The escapement would stay the same, but the
pendulum zero would shift. The major inconvenience is retuning
the pendulum with the additional hardware. Se diagram.

cheers, Nevville

On 15 Nov 2020, at 06:53, Bepi <pepicima@...> wrote:

Neville, I don't understand: when one moves the pendulum sideways the drawing arm unlocks the gravity arm with a phase which changes with continuity, it's equivalent to lengthening or shortening the drawing arm. At the same time the gravity arm would hit the pallet profile at different locations though, changing effectively the shape and strength of the pulse. Moving the pendulum to the left, from one position on, the pulse doesn't even change its timing at all.
I am confused, is there a way to cleanly change just the phase? Rotating gravity by tilting the whole support plate around the roller axis?

p.-

The phase of the impulse can be adjusted by moving the pendulum sideways with the adjustment
above the suspension.
I would be convinced

On Nov 14, 2020, at 14:20, Neville Michie via groups.io <neville_michie@...> wrote:

The phase of the impulse can be adjusted by moving the pendulum sideways with the adjustment
above the suspension. I seem to remember instructions for adjusting this so the roller was
halfway down the slope when the pendulum was still and the latch tripped.
cheers,
Neville Michie
On 14 Nov 2020, at 23:42, Bepi <pepicima@...> wrote:

Ian who are Mr Parsons and Mr Ball and where can I read about their results? I agree that the shape is probably of little importance, more relevant is the location of the impulse in phase/time.
Does anybody know how to regulate the impulse phase in a synchronome in an easy, controllable and accurate way?
The shape might be of some relevance in terms of repeatability which boils down to absence of sharp corners.