From: Bepi <pepicima@...>
To: synchronome1 <synchronome1@groups.io>
Sent: Thu, 23 Jan 2020 18:10
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Reinventing a Synchronome

As far as Ian and Johannes suggestions i find them exceptionally interesting. I would happy to participate (discuss) in what seems to me, for what I know now, a promising new experiment: a sort of long timebase intensity correlation interferometry between two, or more, synchronomes.
A mouthful of big words but in reality something very simple: cross correlating the fluctuations of the period measurements of two clocks, possibly located where the main natural causes for fluctuations are uncorrelated. Europe and oceania for anything weather and seismic related would be good choices, I can't think of more uncorrelated weather on earth.
The two clocks will be slightly detuned, it doesn't matter, and one could use just the periods away from impulsing, the free falling ones, most of them, to avoid any escapement error noise and employ all kind of differently impulsed synchronomes. In practice one would only make a quartz clock precision recording of individual periods for times very long compared to the tidal period, months for example, gaining square root of measuring-time / tidal-period in sensitivity if the rest is uncorrelated.
The computational part is readily available in all kinds of math software, not an issue.
The result with respect to tides would be an original and independent measurement of the relative longitude of the two clocks through a measurement of the cross-phase of the correlation. It would never compete with GPS but, if it works, very rewarding.
About Johannes suggestion: does any body think that tides would be the only correlated signal one would find? after years of measurements? turbulence of earth core movements is a good candidate. Ever been measured by gravitometers?
First thing to do would be a simulation to see if it works in theory, very encouraging that Ian was already seeing the phases of the moon...