Re: Magnetic vs gravity impulsing

Bepi

Thanks Harvey. I need to specify what I mean by noise. My point is actually that the mechanical impulse is not as "noisy" as I would have intuitively thought, where for noisy I mean not reproducible to the point that increases the average period standard deviation. The mechanical impulse period has a substantially different duration from the free pendulum ones, you might call that noise too but it is not noise in the common sense of affecting the clock regularity. The period difference is 1 ms in my and John Haine's cases, and that is to me pretty clear now why. The mechanical impulse occurs considerably off from the pendulum swing center, I know from theory and experiment that a positive difference menans late impulsing as in my case. Mind you it could come from the dragging of the gravity arm too , Airy's tangent rule applies to the center of gravity of all forces, the positive and the negative ones. For other examples see Tom Van Baak's and John Haine's synchronome data reported in John's Reinventing the synchronome topic. In John's case it looks early rather than late, in Tom's it looks late. I did try as you suggest to center the mechanical impulse by controlling the arm release with a small solenoid and a variable delay control, as I have shown in a previous topic, but it didn't work. The pulse timing depends also on the shape of the gravity arm and its relative position to the pendulum vertical, a scan of these parameters is possible but difficult and I haven't done it, I have found it easier to switch to magnetic pulsing which i can control by typing numbers.-