Re: Timing data for Synchronome # 2177

Neville Michie

It is quite clear from various set up instructions and clock
theory that if the pendulum is stationary, the roller should be half way down the slope.
This is how you set the suspension spring at the top.
In operation the arm is dropped before the zero crossing and lands on the flat,
then as it rolls down the slope the impulse is given with its centre of the impulse
being delivered on the zero crossing.
Cheers,
Neville Michie

On 25 Oct 2019, at 08:08, neil <njepsen@gmail.com> wrote:

Ive been following this with interest.
SO - I assume the roller should land on the flat, not the curved surface, and be timed so that:
the instant the roller starts to move down the face is at BDC of the pendulum. ??
Thats going to be hard to measure and even harder to achieve if 1/2mm is critical as Bepi suggests.

Neil Jepsen. B.Sc. M.Sc(Hons).CPL.MASNZ.
Jepsen Acoustics & Electronics Ltd
22 Domain Street
Palmerston North.
New Zealand.
Ph +64 6 3577539 Mob 0274428094
Web site:
www.noiseandweather.co.nz

www.noiseandweather.com

E.& O.E.

On 25/10/2019 09:37 AM, Ian Richardson via Groups.Io wrote:
Harvey,

That is a detail in the setting up of Chris' clock. It shouldn't land on the curve but, according to F H-J, it should land on the shoulder just before the curve - even maybe a bit earlier on the flat part.

I think that too much emphasis is placed on the design of the impulse pallet - clearly the Synchronome type and the Gent type both work and both have a latitude for setting up error. Think about the Shortt Free Pendulum impulse - that consists of a flat faced jewel landing on a small wheel and it gives a very smooth impulse. There is more than one way to skin a cat!