Re: Pendulum adjustment

Richard Marriott

Hi John,
Could I suggest getting the length of the pendulum approximately right by supporting the bob weight with your hand and adjusting the nut so it runs slightly slow. Run it for a few days and then fine adjustment can be carried out by adding coins to the top of the bob (if your clock does not have a weight tray higher up the pendulum). I've used weights successfully with both Synchronome and Gent and found it a lot easier and less chance of disturbing the clock.

Best of luck
Richard

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎26‎ ‎January‎ ‎2019‎ ‎09‎:‎56‎:‎06‎ ‎GMT, John Haine <john.haine@...> wrote:

Thanks to the help I got for my enquiry about pallet design I'm making reasonable progress on my re-build.  I'm in the process of making a new pendulum, and wanted to tap the collective wisdom on how the rating nut is adjusted.
The synchronome bob is very heavy - mine is ~7 kg - and all that weight is taken on the nut and thread.  It strikes me that there will be a lot of friction so turning the nut can't be that easy.  In fact I suspect that unless some of the weight is taken off it, and also perhaps the rod held to stop it rotating with the nut, it will be nigh on impossible to turn.

So can I have some advice on the approach people take to adjusting the nit position please?  Is it worth considering placing a thrust race between the nut and bob to reduce at least some of the friction?  Of does one hold the rod and turn the bob, the nut turning with the bob?