Re: Sources of Mechanical Power Loss in Synchronome Movement

Bepi

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 04:23 PM, markotime wrote:
I apologize if I have missed it, but has there been discussion of the energy needed to trip the gravity arm?  An optical detector and electromagnetic actuator
would seem to be an obvious area for study.
Mark, but to study what? If the energetics of the clock is of concern an EM actuator releasing the gravity arm would not improve the present situation. The obvious place where to look is the EM arming system, it would be improved a lot very simply and cheaply by recovering most magnetic energy by storing it in a capacitor between releases. I have never seen it done but according to me it would have additional benefits: opening the circuit at null current would eliminate the spark damage and reduce the escapement noise.
If accuracy is of concern it would improve tremendously getting rid of the gravity arm and adopting electromagnetic impulsing altogether. In an in principle strife for accuracy, a la Woodward, the problem of synchronomes is impulsing so far away from the main oscillation mass, the bob. The present impulse excites spurious oscillation modes of the pendulum with a much lower Q than the standard one and accuracy is badly decreased. I believe I described my attempts at EM impulsing on this forum at Clock or anemometer. The reduction of period standard deviation is very obvious, of a couple of order of magnitudes in my case. I know standard deviation is not a measure of accuracy, never the less I remember the clock "true" noise, in Woodward's sense, at that point was down to the atmospheric wind induced vibrations of my apartment walls.