Re: Synchronome component, what is it?

POWERCLOCKS

Thanks for that. I hope to speak with an expert at a club meeting on Sunday. It was unfortunate some of the wiring had been removed before I received this clock so I could not just clean and replace stuff. Electronics. Not my strong point.
GJP

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> on behalf of John Hubert <jfphubert@...>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 5:55:34 PM
To: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Synchronome component, what is it?

Hi Graeme,

There is an active Electric Clock group in Australia under the Australian Antiquarian Horological Society, with contacts to the AHS in the UK.  https://aahs.org.au/ and the EHG group therein https://aahs.org.au/ehg-sydney/. That would probably be your best source of knowledge on your Australian built clock.  They seem to have (at least in normal times) a very active membership.

The Australian Synchronomes have many differences to the UK ones, and that component is fine of the differences!  I believe it is a resistor (in effect a coil of resistance wire on a bobbin).  Similar ones were used here by other makers, the photo shows a resistor in a Silent Electric clock from circa 1920.  It is unusual to come across an Australian built Synchronome in the UK, though some do exist here.

Usually these are used for things like spark suppression - typically a resistance of about 10 x the coil resistance value connected in parallel with the coil.  AS to whether you ’need’ it - as you have used, modern diode suppress the sparks well - but the resistor is part of the originality.  Personally - on my clocks I always keep the resistor - but add a diode in a ‘removable’ way - typically just in the spring clips or terminals used for the wiring.

John

On 16 Jul 2021, at 03:14, POWERCLOCKS <powerclocks@...> wrote:

Hi, I hope you are all well and not suffering too badly in these trying times. This is my first post here, I am wanting to know what this part is on my early Synchronome and what does it do? I have the movement running quite well now using two back to back diodes for spark quench (Thanks Rod Elliott) and it is now time to attach the clocks slave movement so I need to know what this does? So do I need it?
Cheers from Australia.
Graeme Power
<Inkedthumbnail_20200611_093500_LI.jpg>