Re: DRIVING SLAVE SYNCHRONOME DIALS WITHOUT A MASTER CLOCK PRESENT?

Ian Richardson

Chris et al,

A visit would be nice, but out of the question for many reasons.  Maybe one day.

All the setting up details are freely available (I helped write the setting up and maintenance section of Bob Miles' book) but the secrets of success may not all be obvious from that.  What follows is all on the assumption that the air gaps etc are set as per "normal" instructions.

If you remove the gathering click and let your pendulum swing on its own, how long will it swing?  The support at the top must be rigid (if there is any tendency to move, that will rob energy from the pendulum).

Hold back the gravity arm latch and backstop click and spin the countwheel with your finger - it should run very freely with no interference from other parts of the mechanism.

The next thing is to replace the gathering click, but tie the gravity arm up with a bit of wire so that it won't drop.  Then swing the pendulum again while the gathering click advances the countwheel and see how long it takes to decay compared with swinging free.  As mentioned earlier, the gathering click should ONLY JUST gather one tooth at time.  Any more and that also robs energy from the pendulum.

Every 30 seconds, the vane on the countwheel arbor flips the gravity arm latch - another source of energy loss.  Make sure that the spring on the gravity arm latch is just strong enough to replace the latch.

Now, the ONLY source of energy input is the falling of the gravity arm.  That energy input must balance the combined drains mentioned above.

If you look at the clock as a whole with these thoughts in mind, you may be able to focus on where the greatest energy loss is, or why there isn't enough energy input.

Give it a go - you might surprise yourself!

Best regards,