Re: DRIVING SLAVE SYNCHRONOME DIALS WITHOUT A MASTER CLOCK PRESENT?

Brian Cracknell

There was a letter in The Daily Telegraph a few years ago from a man who bought an oscilloscope via mail order sometime in the 1960s. When it arrived he got it out of the box and set it up but no matter how much he fiddled, he couldn't get it to work. Finally, reluctantly and with a great sigh he opened the instruction manual and the first line of text read "You've tried it your way, now try it our way". After that it worked.....

But for old things that may have been bodged by other people sometime in the distant past in ways which may not be immediately obvious, there may be scenarios where the original instructions do need to be tweaked a little bit. Different types of felt pads for instance may have different degrees of compressibility which can affect the gap settings.

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> on behalf of Ian Richardson via groups.io <irichar361@...>
Sent: 01 June 2021 14:35
To: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] DRIVING SLAVE SYNCHRONOME DIALS WITHOUT A MASTER CLOCK PRESENT?

100% agree.  Also, rather than reinvent the wheel - follow the established set-up instructions:  THEY WORK.

Synchronome systems would not have been so successful if they were as fiddly as some folk think.  I have run dozens of them (still have 6) without problems for many years.

Ian R
Should be in France, but stuck in the UK!!

-----Original Message-----
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Sent: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 14:38
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] DRIVING SLAVE SYNCHRONOME DIALS WITHOUT A MASTER CLOCK PRESENT?

If I had to name two things ……..

First - it is very important that the gathering jewel is set high enough such that it only JUST gathers the tooth - and therefore only JUST ‘brushes' it on the return to collect the next tooth.  Most clocks I have seen where the owners have been having trouble - the gathering jewel drops too low - and this increases friction and losses.

Second - the gathering jewel, the faces of the teeth on the count wheel, the slope on the pallet and the surface of the roller all need to be scrupulously clean and dry (no oil here).

On 1 Jun 2021, at 13:29, Andrew Nahum <andrew.nahum@...> wrote:

I find that the more I fiddle with mine the worse I make it!  I have found over the years it pays to go back to the published clearances on everything. Another thing to check is the left/right rest position of the pendulum because it effects the energy transfer from the roller to the impulse face or ramp. I find L. Payton’s 1982 drawing very useful. Look at the line on this photo  extract starting ‘Vertical line at side of pivot must pass … ‘

Andrew 
<image0.jpeg>

On 1 Jun 2021, at 12:28, Brian Cracknell <brcracknell@...> wrote:

Hi Chris,

As part of the new "working from home" generation, I can suggest that one trick to get more help on the master clock is to video it on your mobile telephone and stick the footage on Youtube. (close ups of the roller falling on the pallet, etc). We can all then provide input from our desks. With my 1923 example, I fiddled for 10 years on and off before stumbling on a fairly good set-up with the buffer settings, etc. One thing I have discovered is that the published gaps and clearances are a good starting point but fine tuning makes all the difference. I for one would be interested in seeing your clock running and I am sure you would get plenty of helpful observations from the forum.

Regards
Brian

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> on behalf of Chris Wollaston <chris@...>
Sent: 31 May 2021 23:05
To: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io>
Subject: [synchronomeelectricclock] DRIVING SLAVE SYNCHRONOME DIALS WITHOUT A MASTER CLOCK PRESENT?

Hi, I've two very nice Synchronome slaves in oak surrounds and whilst my Synchronome master is refusing to run for more than 30 minutes before stopping I'd like to experiment with an electronic substitute for the master issuing the correct pulse every 30 seconds.  I'm told I need a 'Slave Impulser' device so could someone send me a link to where I can buy one please?
Also, it'd be very useful to meet a Synchronome master clock enthusiast reasonably local to me here in E Sussex, Nr. Hailsham, who'd be willing to visit and show me how to get my 1925 Synchronome master running correctly as I've sort of run out of patience with it after many hours of perseverance! Cheers, Chris.

Join synchronome1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.