Re: Count wheel & backstop roller

John Hubert

Glass is correct.  I have also used perspex (glass is relatively difficult to drill) with success.  The keys to the clock running well are that;

  1. The teeth of the count wheel are clean and dry (it runs with the teeth dry NOT oiled)
  2. The gathering jewel engages the teeth JUST enough to gather a tooth and allow the backstop roller to drop - not more.  Having the jewel set too low looses energy and the Synchronome is pretty ’tight’ on energy.
  3. The slope of the pallet down which the roller rolls must also be clean and dry - as must the surfaces of the roller itself.  It should drop just on the corner of the slope.

Bob's book should enable you to get it running fine.  The clock pictured has run well for many years for me without anything more than an occasional clean and keeps excellent time.

John

On 22 Feb 2021, at 16:07, Chris Wollaston <chris@...> wrote:

Hi John, many tks for that and excellent picture. I'm going to require a steady pair of hands to get it set up.  Any preference as to which bead to use, glass or alloy? The alloy one has a raised edge both sides.  Also, I've been avidly studying Bob Miles tome Ch 13 on setting up the pendulum and impulse pallet under the roller and am now awaiting a replacement suspension spring as the one that came with the clock is twice as long as the correct version shown on p.236 plus it has a crimp in the metal. This will be the next challenge. Chris