Re: Synchronome contacts pitted

John Hubert

If you search eBay - there is an un-machined impulse pallet casting listed in the UK.  (I am not and have no connection with the seller - nor have I ever seen or examined the part.)

John

On 20 Feb 2021, at 13:02, N Linn <naingtlin@...> wrote:

Dear Stephen,

Your advices are very much appreciated and giving me a lot to think about recreating a part to work with. That helps expanding the idea by various perspectives and thank you so much.

It would be great if you can examine the picture provided by Norman. Let me send you the file attached.

Best wishes,
Naing

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021, 3:21 AM Stephen Hibbs <oldtimemachines@...> wrote:
Hi, Naing,

I can’t seem to get Norman’s .jpg to download. Wish I could see it. But as a mechanical engineer who has designed thousands of parts for manufacturing, I have some comments about the .pdf from bailey.services that might simplify its fabrication with no loss of functionality.

1. The curved ramp is shown as a segment of the developed surface of a toroid. Again, this could be simplified. If it was simply the surface of a cylinder instead, it could be generated by the simple motion of a milling cutter instead of a complex motion, if you follow me. The roller on the Synchronome’s gravity arm won’t know the difference if it is truly rolling instead of sliding (which it might do if its pivots aren’t sufficiently lubricated). There might be a very slight tendency to twist the pendulum if it rolls down either edge rather than the surface, but I think that would be negligible. If the correct suspension spring is used, it has considerable torsional stiffness and the pendulum bob has huge torsional inertia.
      And I still suspect a straight ramp is as good as a curved one. If I were making this part, I’d make the flat ramp long enough that the roller would land below the top of the ramp and be lifted off before reaching the bottom. This is what Gents’ does and it extracts all the potential energy available in the time the roller and pallet are in contact with each other.

2.  I believe the 45-degree facets are intended to act as elastic hinges where thin material embraces the pendulum rod. But they are so long that I’m not convinced that a single 4-40NC screw in brass will be able to generate adequate clamping force around the rod. And the effort to generate enough clamping force will likely strip the female thread, leaving you with no clamping force at all. The safe way out is two screws, though there is still risk of stripping one of the female threads if they are tightened unevenly.
     You’ll likely be starting with .50-inch thick stock, or maybe the nearest metric equivalent. There’s really no need to machine it down to .44 inch thick, nor is there a functional need to machine the two 45-degree facets on the end opposite the ramp; only an aesthetic one. Nor is there a need for the counterbore if those facets are omitted.

3.   The .035 dia. thru hole gives the gathering arm a place to be, but I don’t see what keeps it there unless the 2-56NC hole below it is part of a retaining scheme not shown. The original pallet part, of course, has an elegant but complex retaining scheme machined into it that was wisely avoided in this design.

4.   The .38 radius on the underside can actually be any radius that’s convenient. It does happen to match the specified radius of the ramp.

Kind regards,
Steve

Stephen Hibbs
PO Box 536