Re: Master Clock contact spark quenching

Darren Conway

Hi

Here is a Aduino  Motor shield that would be ideal for driving the Gents and Solari slave  clocks.

Regards

Darren Conway
36 Orr Crescent
Lower Hutt
New Zealand
ph +64  (0)4 569 1963

On 6.01.21 7:12 am, Darren Conway wrote:

Hi

If I only had to drive slaves from the Synchronome, an opto isolator would be the obvious choice.  I already have one.

An Aduino with ready made shield is probably the easiest way to convert a 30 second pulse to a one minute bipolar drive for the flip clock.  Easier than building from discrete components.  If I do that, then using the Aduino as an electronic relay to drive the slave clocks would make sense.

I am thinking of using a cheap Chinese motor/power switch shield with an Aduino to generate the bipolar drive for the flip clock.   Generating a bipolar signal requires and H driver circuit, as used to drive stepper motors or DC motors.   If I get a Auduino wifi version, there is the potential to use an on-line NTP server as the master clock, complete with automatic daylight time corrections.    The only problem is that shipping times from China are currently about 3 to 6 months.

The master still needs to drive its own solenoid coil and case fitted slave, so a snubber circuit would still serve a purpose.

Regards

Darren Conway
New Zealand

On 5.01.21 10:54 pm, John Haine wrote:
That's because it's opto isolated, it needs a current of ~3 mA into the input pin to light up the internal LED, so you drive it through a suitable resistor to get that current from whatever voltage is across the contacts.  In this case with 12 V that would be 12/3 = 4 K ohms, or 3.9 K NPV.