Re: Eureka spring

Neville Michie

Somewhere in the past I recall reading of a Eureka that had lead washers
under its screws. That clock had been messed about, but it is a hint as
to how you could improve the situation without having to harm any existing
parts.
cheers,
Neville Michie

On 31 Dec 2020, at 07:29, Odell, Edward via groups.io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I was just about to reply something similar

No one really seems to know the significance of the differently sized weights but they are probably not designed to be adjustments, the inventor said the clock would run upside down so the idea this is some kind of pendulum isn’t correct. That said I have had one with an unbalanced wheel running reasonably for many years, but the amplitude improved when correctly balanced.

Eddy

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Ralph via groups.io
Sent: 30 December 2020 20:26
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Eureka spring

The screws should be screwed down fully as original. They must not be moved around, unless someone has moved them in the past and you are trying to correct it.. They are different weights. If you remove them, you will see they are undercut and vary in the amount. I look at the balance as a unique style of compound pendulum.

Ralph

Philip Green wrote:

Thank you Peter and Edward,

The spring has 12 1/2 turns and I have got it to its fullest extent so I will try undoing the screws and see what effect that has.

Thank you

Phil

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 6:49 PM Odell, Edward via groups.io <edward.odell=kcl.ac.uk@groups.io> wrote:

HI

According to the Shenton book the 40 tooth wheel type has a longer spring, the standard spring for the 45 tooth wheel should be 12 ¼ turns so check and see if wrong one fitted, but I don’t know the spring dimensions for the early beat rate clock

Eddy Odell

From: synchronome1@groups.io <synchronome1@groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Torry via groups.io
Sent: 30 December 2020 18:41
To: synchronome1@groups.io
Subject: Re: [synchronomeelectricclock] Eureka spring

Hello Phil,

I am not aware of different sprigs being use but no doubt someone will correct me. The timing is affected by the weight and position of the screws around the periphery of the wheel and their adjustment will affect the timing and amplitude. If you thing of the wheel not as a poised balance wheel but as a rotary pendulum it may put a different light on the situation.

I do have some notes somewhere and I will look them out and copy them to you.

Kind regards

Peter

On 30/12/2020 16:44, Philip Green wrote:

Hello,
I have at last got myself an Eureka clock (No not a Christmas present!) and am having trouble with the balance spring. The timed rate of the spring and balance is 1.45 sec approx. which ties in with the clock gaining 50 min in 24 hours. The count wheel is 40 teeth. So I am looking for a rate of 1.5 sec. Were there different springs for the two different count wheels or should I be looking somewhere else to adjust for the timing?

My other problem with the clock is the base which has a fair amount of battery acid corrosion. Is there an easier way of removing it other than scraping it?

Thank you and I wish you all a happy New Year and an end to Covid!!

Phil

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
PLEASE BE KIND TO YOUR EMAIL FRIENDS Before forwarding please remove all email addresses and use the BCC option to add your contacts. Failure to do so results in spam and email from people you don't know. THANK YOU

Join synchronome1@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.