Topics

Pacific Rim: Uprising pics

Some pics of the mecha from the Pacific Rim sequel: https://imgur.com/a/DNGhp

Bobby Hardenbrook

Painfully dumb. Looks like a straight copy of Transformers as well.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM Andrew Gray <aggray@...> wrote:
Some pics of the mecha from the Pacific Rim sequel: https://imgur.com/a/DNGhp

I liked the first one a lot. It's more an homage to the countless anime and manga series featuring giant robots fighting off alien invaders than a copy of Transformers.

Bobby Hardenbrook

I hear ya but I'm just not feeling these particular images, its comes off as a straight up Transformer clone.

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM Andrew Gray <aggray@...> wrote:
I liked the first one a lot. It's more an homage to the countless anime and manga series featuring giant robots fighting off alien invaders than a copy of Transformers.

Yeah, the images are a bit too bubblegum. Hopefully that's just because they're for a magazine and the movie will be dirtier.

Dan Daast

The grittier atmospherics of the first one were the function of the plot - rundown base, the last bastion making a stand, etc.  Honestly, I was mostly in it for the characters, rather than giant robots, though.

Hell, the same is actually true for the Transformers, as well. Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned. The dialogue/characterization he put together for Anthony Hopkins was hilarious

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 07:15 pm, Andrew Gray wrote:
Yeah, the images are a bit too bubblegum. Hopefully that's just because they're for a magazine and the movie will be dirtier.

Sean F Gallagher

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Dan Daast <paradoqz@...> wrote:

 Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned.

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan

Allen Pitt

Same here. Whedon is much better.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Sean F Gallagher <faolan@...> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Dan Daast <paradoqz@...> wrote:

 Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned.

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan
_._,_._,_

scott palter

IMO Whedon is excellent on character and dialog but abysmal on plot especially continuity.

 Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned.

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan

Allen Pitt

yes, he was at his best on “Buffy” when he had a few people in the writing team who were good at such.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:28 PM, scott palter <senilecow2345@...> wrote:

IMO Whedon is excellent on character and dialog but abysmal on plot especially continuity.

 Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned.

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan

scott palter

Buffy/Angel.  Great characters and snappy dialog.  Continuity was SO bad they made an in series joke about it.

Scott