Topics

Pacific Rim: Uprising pics

Some pics of the mecha from the Pacific Rim sequel: https://imgur.com/a/DNGhp

Bobby Hardenbrook

Painfully dumb. Looks like a straight copy of Transformers as well. 

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 11:25 AM Andrew Gray <aggray@...> wrote:
Some pics of the mecha from the Pacific Rim sequel: https://imgur.com/a/DNGhp

I liked the first one a lot. It's more an homage to the countless anime and manga series featuring giant robots fighting off alien invaders than a copy of Transformers. 

Bobby Hardenbrook

I hear ya but I'm just not feeling these particular images, its comes off as a straight up Transformer clone. 

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:04 PM Andrew Gray <aggray@...> wrote:
I liked the first one a lot. It's more an homage to the countless anime and manga series featuring giant robots fighting off alien invaders than a copy of Transformers. 

Yeah, the images are a bit too bubblegum. Hopefully that's just because they're for a magazine and the movie will be dirtier. 

Dan Daast

The grittier atmospherics of the first one were the function of the plot - rundown base, the last bastion making a stand, etc.  Honestly, I was mostly in it for the characters, rather than giant robots, though.

Hell, the same is actually true for the Transformers, as well. Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned. The dialogue/characterization he put together for Anthony Hopkins was hilarious

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 07:15 pm, Andrew Gray wrote:
Yeah, the images are a bit too bubblegum. Hopefully that's just because they're for a magazine and the movie will be dirtier. 

Sean F Gallagher

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Dan Daast <paradoqz@...> wrote:

Bay writes better character interaction than Whedon, as far as I am concerned.

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan

Allen Pitt

Same here. Whedon is much better.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:18 PM, Sean F Gallagher <faolan@...> wrote:

This statement makes my brain boggle. Seriously, it hurts. This is a pretty amazing illustration of how people have differing tastes. I thought the Transformers movies, other than maybe the first one, were shining examples of the worst kinds of characterizations and dialogue. Transformers LK was particularly painful. I watch parts of them for the visuals, but it's gotten more and more difficult to survive the awful plots and dialogue in order to enjoy the visuals.

Faolan
_._,_._,_

scott palter

IMO Whedon is excellent on character and dialog but abysmal on plot especially continuity.

From: stirling@groups.io <stirling@groups.io> on behalf of Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...>
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:24 PM
To: stirling@groups.io
Subject: Re: [stirling] Pacific Rim: Uprising pics

Faolan

Allen Pitt

yes, he was at his best on “Buffy” when he had a few people in the writing team who were good at such.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:28 PM, scott palter <senilecow2345@...> wrote:

IMO Whedon is excellent on character and dialog but abysmal on plot especially continuity.

From: stirling@groups.io <stirling@groups.io> on behalf of Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...>
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:24 PM
To: stirling@groups.io
Subject: Re: [stirling] Pacific Rim: Uprising pics

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 7:23 PM, Dan Daast <paradoqz@...> wrote:

Faolan

scott palter

Buffy/Angel.  Great characters and snappy dialog.  Continuity was SO bad they made an in series joke about it.

Scott

From: stirling@groups.io <stirling@groups.io> on behalf of Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...>
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:40 PM

yes, he was at his best on “Buffy” when he had a few people in the writing team who were good at such.

From: stirling@groups.io <stirling@groups.io> on behalf of Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...>

Faolan

Dan Daast

I'm fairly certain it was by accident*, but one of the greatest character-story arcs I've watched on TV was Wesley. The evolution from the bumbling putz to the man so chewed up by the hero life that he doesn't have a single thing to live for was seamless.

Maybe not. I tend to see Angel as the better series of the two, and the showrunners there functioned almost entirely autonomously of Whedon. Might have been purposeful.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:41 am, scott palter wrote:

Buffy/Angel.  Great characters and snappy dialog.  Continuity was SO bad they made an in series joke about it.

Scott

Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:40 PM

Faolan

James Langer

Wesley's arc at the end of Angel, brought a few tears to my eyes. It was a good one.

I liked them both, something both the wife and I could enjoy. Both series were good enough that I could get into them mid way through and stick with it. Sopranos was like that as well.

Allen Pitt

Agreed. Wesley had the best character arc of either series. So different at the end from the start, and it all made sense, none of it felt forced.

One minor character I liked: “Chantarelle” —> “Anne”. She started out as a teenage girl in a cult that worshipped vampires, by the end of both series she was… a very good person. One of the few that Buffy / Angel saved that actually turned out well.

On Oct 6, 2017, at 4:58 PM, James Langer <jameslanger@...> wrote:

Wesley's arc at the end of Angel, brought a few tears to my eyes. It was a good one.

I liked them both, something both the wife and I could enjoy. Both series were good enough that I could get into them mid way through and stick with it. Sopranos was like that as well.

Michael Walsh

Megan Fox's soliloquy when she bent over the hood of the car in the first Transformer movie was particularly brilliant. 

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Sean F Gallagher <faolan@...> wrote:

Faolan

Janet Stirling

I missed Megan Fox immediately when she disappeared from the Transformer franchise.  She really does have presence.  I can't evaluate the quality of her acting because I'm not a critic, but she just added a great deal to the movie.  

Jan

Janet Stirling
joatsbuddy@...

To: stirling <stirling@groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Oct 6, 2017 7:03 pm

Megan Fox's soliloquy when she bent over the hood of the car in the first Transformer movie was particularly brilliant. 

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Sean F Gallagher <faolan@...> wrote:

Faolan

Tarl Neustaedter

On 2017-Oct-6 21:03 , Michael Walsh wrote:

That statement by itself gave me the urge (so far suppressed) to track down and rent a copy of the movie. I have to find out what you're talking about :-)

Janet Stirling

I've never gotten the impression that Whedon thinks he's slumming by doing genre projects.  I'm kinda getting that impression from Ridly.  The way his genre projects have been structured I think he resents being consigned to the SF/Fantasy genres by his earlier, more inspired, work.  Bay does action very well, but he seems less able with characters to me.  At least in the last (previous to the most recent one) Transformers movie we saw.  That one was painful.  But nothing compares to The Scorch Trials for sheer awfulness to me.

Jan

Janet Stirling
joatsbuddy@...

Sent: Fri, Oct 6, 2017 11:28 am

Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:24 PM

Faolan

Janet Stirling

We saw a preview today for Pacific Rim 2 and those are indeed the robots.  I would think that wasp waist look would be swanky, but impractical.

Jan

Janet Stirling
joatsbuddy@...

Sent: Thu, Oct 5, 2017 8:15 pm

Timothy McFadden

Wesley's process was transformation. Buffy, Willow and Xander's was growing up. One thing I liked about Giles was that he didn't change- he unfolded. The more you saw the character, the more layers you found beneath the surface.

Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 5:59 PM

Previous Topic Next Topic