Topics

Elon Musk's plans for new rocket

Allen Pitt

Damn. He doesn’t lack ambition. (below url has photos/videos)

Elon Musk wants to use this one ship that replaces Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Dragon.

* They tested the carbon fiber cryo fuel tank to failure
* they have had 42 main engine tests of the Raptor engine
* they are going to get propulsive landing perfect
* the landing will land so precisely will they will not need legs for the next version
* launch rate is growing exponentially

They will build ahead with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and have a stock of those for customers that will want to see BFR fly a few times before using it.
They will put all resources to BFR.

He talks about using the rockets to fly anywhere on Earth in under an hour.

Bobby Hardenbrook

Wow. Looks like a major refinement of the ITS concept he presented last year. Even a conservative timeline has this system doing manned lunar missions by the mid 2020's which is pretty damn exciting and fits into NASA's latest Lunar vision as well. (probably no accident, Musk is aiming to capture the NASA and DoD launch market)

Its really gonna happen folks. This isn't vaporware, this is a practical design that will be launching within 3 or 4 years. And Blue Origin has very similar designs coming along as well.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 4:28 AM Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...> wrote:
Damn. He doesn’t lack ambition. (below url has photos/videos)

Elon Musk wants to use this one ship that replaces Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Dragon.

* They tested the carbon fiber cryo fuel tank to failure
* they have had 42 main engine tests of the Raptor engine
* they are going to get propulsive landing perfect
* the landing will land so precisely will they will not need legs for the next version
* launch rate is growing exponentially

They will build ahead with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and have a stock of those for customers that will want to see BFR fly a few times before using it.
They will put all resources to BFR.

He talks about using the rockets to fly anywhere on Earth in under an hour.

Allen Pitt

Yep.

Competitors who figured the Falcon was a problem are in real trouble. Now they have to try to match this beast.

On Sep 29, 2017, at 02:45 PM, Bobby Hardenbrook <bobby.hardenbrook@...> wrote:

[...]

Blue Origin is the only other player even in the game IMHO. The stuff put forward by the traditional launch companies lately has the air of "way way too late, way too little".

Loving the image of the BFR spaceship docked to the ISS....its almost bigger than the entire ISS; an actual no-bullshit spaceship! We have our Tireme/Caravel of space.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 12:09 PM Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...> wrote:
[...]

joatsimeon

Yeah, it's impressive.  No reason to believe Musk won't actually build it, too.

[...]

Dan Daast

Yeah, but what's up with the cryosleep tanks? I was promised an immortality elixir!

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 04:28 am, Allen Pitt wrote:
Damn. He doesn’t lack ambition. (below url has photos/videos)

Elon Musk wants to use this one ship that replaces Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Dragon.

* They tested the carbon fiber cryo fuel tank to failure
* they have had 42 main engine tests of the Raptor engine
* they are going to get propulsive landing perfect
* the landing will land so precisely will they will not need legs for the next version
* launch rate is growing exponentially

They will build ahead with Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy and have a stock of those for customers that will want to see BFR fly a few times before using it.
They will put all resources to BFR.

He talks about using the rockets to fly anywhere on Earth in under an hour.

Allen Pitt

Agreed --I read an article last week about a Chinese company that has started up, saying they're going to do re-launchable first stages...but that's vaporware so far. And they have a lot of ground to cover just to get to the Falcon 9 stage--by then the huge new rocket could be up. Moving target.

As stated in the lecture, if next year SpaceX does even 30 launches....the total for this year is about 60 worldwide. They're set to have 50% of the market. At least, and probably more as they gear up. That's tough to displace. Also, SpaceX doesn't patent its stuff-they just go the trade secret route. So other companies/countries will find it harder to steal their ideas.

On Sep 29, 2017, at 07:29 PM, Bobby Hardenbrook <bobby.hardenbrook@...> wrote:

[...]

markus baur

Am 30.09.2017 um 01:43 schrieb Allen Pitt:
Agreed --I read an article last week about a Chinese company that has started up, saying they're going to do re-launchable first stages...but that's vaporware so far.
AND the design they are pandering is WAY smaller then a F9, not to speak of FH or BFR

servus

markus

<bobby.hardenbrook@... <mailto:bobby.hardenbrook@...>>

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/09/elon-musk-new-affordable-mars-plan-will-use-new-rocket-that-replaces-all-existing-spacex-rockets.html

--
Email from my mobile connection.

Allen Pitt

All the other players in the rocket business ignored SpaceX at first, and now catching up will be quite difficult. Not to mention trying to match low prices. Most of them are geared to “cost plus” contracts, trying to come up with a new rocket system AND lowering the price dramatically…not going to happen easily.

I hope Blue Origin gets its act together, we need to have more than one major player in the market.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 1:55 AM, markus baur <baur@...> wrote:

[...]

Snigger.  It's the triumph of the Heinlein-esque billionaires!  This is sweet.

--
Email from my mobile connection.

OFA sez:

Snigger.  It's the triumph of the Heinlein-esque billionaires!  This is sweet.
One could even describe it as the triumph of the "Heinlein-inspired" billionaires.
Musk at least seems to have acknowledged the connection.

Peter S

--
Email from my mobile connection.

Allen Pitt

Heinlein influence a lot of people, and it’s paying off big time. Wonderful to see.

We might finally get to have lunar bases, bases on Mars, all that stuff that was supposed to happen by 2001.

* A 90’s tv show —The Flash—had an evil scientist coming out of suspended animation from a few decades earlier —he did it so he could reach ‘the future’ —hilarious sequence where he’s looking to catch up on things and muttering “where are the space stations? The lunar bases? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FUTURE?” .  70s-2005 or so were a huge disappointment.

I hope Musk succeeds with the new rocket. That thing would be awesome.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 7:21 PM, Peter Sartucci via Groups.Io <psartucci@...> wrote:

OFA sez:

Snigger.  It's the triumph of the Heinlein-esque billionaires!  This is sweet.
One could even describe it as the triumph of the "Heinlein-inspired" billionaires.
Musk at least seems to have acknowledged the connection.

Peter S

Snigger.  It's the triumph of the Heinlein-esque billionaires!  This is sweet.

Allen Pitt

Bezos — “Blue Origins” — he’s doing the same thing, he just doesn’t talk about it all the time and admittedly isn’t as far along. But he’s got something that might become a rival to SpaceX. It isn’t only Musk.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 9:07 PM, Dan Daast <paradoqz@...> wrote:

Musk is rather unique, though, no? Who else is doing similar, larger than life, pulp-era-esque things that physically reshape the enviroment? Most are like Bezos, impressive but not world-changing Captains Of New Industry types. Morgans, not Vanderbilts.

Allen Pitt

Yeah—that got a round of applause.

I saw the film “2001” in the theater when it came out. I really thought that by 2001, we would have all that. and then, in the 70s, it all just…. fizzled. Stopped. We had a shuttle that didn’t live up to its promise, a tiny space station, that was it for manned stuff. Lots of spectacular unmanned probes, I’m not knocking that, but damn. He’s right. 2017 and no moon base. Time to change that.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 10:19 PM, Michael Walsh <mike@...> wrote:

To quote Musk; "It's 2017. And we don't have a Moon Base. How is that even possible?"

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...> wrote:
Heinlein influence a lot of people, and it’s paying off big time. Wonderful to see.

We might finally get to have lunar bases, bases on Mars, all that stuff that was supposed to happen by 2001.

* A 90’s tv show —The Flash—had an evil scientist coming out of suspended animation from a few decades earlier —he did it so he could reach ‘the future’ —hilarious sequence where he’s looking to catch up on things and muttering “where are the space stations? The lunar bases? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FUTURE?” .  70s-2005 or so were a huge disappointment.

I hope Musk succeeds with the new rocket. That thing would be awesome.

Michael Walsh

Hell. I would have given that line a standing O.

*goes back to thinking about refreshing is C++ skills since Space X is just down the street and hiring....*

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...> wrote:
[...]

I hear they work people really hard at SpaceX —the whole “hey you’re making history, now put in more hours at not-very-high pay!”…. Fine if you’re ok with that. And wow, they really are making history.

I thought the Falcon Heavy was a big deal. This new design. Wow.

On Sep 30, 2017, at 10:29 PM, Michael Walsh <mike@...> wrote:

Hell. I would have given that line a standing O.

*goes back to thinking about refreshing is C++ skills since Space X is just down the street and hiring....*

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 7:25 PM, Allen Pitt <allenpitt2@...> wrote:
Yeah—that got a round of applause.

I saw the film “2001” in the theater when it came out. I really thought that by 2001, we would have all that. and then, in the 70s, it all just…. fizzled. Stopped. We had a shuttle that didn’t live up to its promise, a tiny space station, that was it for manned stuff. Lots of spectacular unmanned probes, I’m not knocking that, but damn. He’s right. 2017 and no moon base. Time to change that.

joatsimeon

Bezos also has more money.