Topics

+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE. - Volume 17, Issue 45, May 2, 2019.

David Dillard

lcarlson
image.png
May 2
+++ WEB DESIGN UPDATE.
- Volume 17, Issue 45, May 2, 2019.

design and development.

++ISSUE 45 CONTENTS.

SECTION ONE: New references.
New links in these categories:

01: ACCESSIBILITY.
02: EVALUATION & TESTING.
03: EVENTS.
04: HTML.
05: JAVASCRIPT.
06: MISCELLANEOUS.
07: NAVIGATION.
08: USABILITY.

SECTION TWO:

[Contents ends.]

++ SECTION ONE: New references.

+01: ACCESSIBILITY.

Maps for All
By Minnesota IT Services.
"Maps are a great way of sharing complex information, but resources to
make these maps accessible were not always easy to find. Until now."
https://mn.gov/mnit/media/blog/?id=38-382609

Audio Description Using the Web Speech API
By Terrill Thompson.
"…Able Player performs a quick check to see if the user's browser
supports it. If it doesn't, it falls back to the old way of doing
things using ARIA live regions. But if it does, the browser reads the
description text in a pre-defined synthesized voice, keeping the
screen reader free to do other things…"
http://terrillthompson.com/1173

Revisiting prefers-reduced-motion, The Reduced Motion Media Query
By Eric Bailey.
Eric revisits prefers-reduced-motion focusing less about the how and
more about the why.
https://css-tricks.com/revisiting-prefers-reduced-motion-the-reduced-motion-media-query/

Updated: PDF Accessibility
By WebAIM.
"Our Acrobat PDF accessibility article has been updated and greatly expanded."
https://webaim.org/techniques/acrobat/

Six Ways to Make your Site More Accessible
By Hidde de Vries.
"A presentation at WordCamp Rotterdam in April 2019…"
https://talks.hiddedevries.nl/lMxtx5/six-ways-to-make-your-site-more-accessible

This Open Source Software Could Make Museum Websites More Accessible
By Claire Voon.
"Earlier this year, dozens of New York City art galleries were hit
with lawsuits filed separately by two legally blind plaintiffs…"
https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-open-source-software-museum-websites-accessible

The Role of Design in Accessibility
By Adrian Roselli.
Adrian's Slides from his a11yTO Meet-up presentation.
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/04/slides-the-role-of-design-in-accessibility-a11yto-meet-up.html

New Developments in Ongoing Website Accessibility Litigation
By Elizabeth J. Rho-Ng, Cathie L. Fields, Sharon J. Ormond.
"A federal district court in Massachusetts recently ruled against
Harvard University in an ongoing lawsuit filed on behalf of disabled
individuals challenging the accessibility of online video content on
the university's websites…"
https://www.aalrr.com/EdLawConnectBlog/new-developments-in-ongoing-website-accessibility-litigation

+02: EVALUATION & TESTING.

Usability Testing with Minors: 16 Tips
By Alita Joyce.
To guarantee an effective study with users under 18-years old, recruit
extra participants, design a child-friendly lab, prepare a plethora of
age-appropriate tasks, and avoid being too authoritative."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/usability-testing-minors/

Embedding Accessibility into the DevOps Process
By Dylan Barrell.
"…focus on continually shifting accessibility testing 'further left'
earlier in the development cycle to enhance quality while maintaining
velocity. The sooner you detect and fix accessibility issues, the less
likely these are to become more deeply baked into the software, making
them more difficult and time-consuming to undo…"
https://devops.com/embedding-accessibility-into-the-devops-process/

+03: EVENTS.

Minnesota Digital Accessibility Law Celebration
May 7, 2019.
Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.A.
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MNIT/bulletins/2411727

Accessibility of Course Materials & Your University
May 9, 2019.
Online
http://aem.cast.org/about/events/2019/05/quality-indicators-for-higher-ed.html

Accessibility and Social Media
May 9, 2019.
Online
https://go.3playmedia.com/wbn-05-09-2019-social

Accessible Documents and You!
May 9, 2019.
Online
https://iod.unh.edu/event/accessible-documents-and-you

Web4All Hackathon 2019
May 15-16, 2019.
San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfn4f-qdLHD4UQ0QeeJpHKul1KIcjGeamVyfSWSpBEqT8uR8g/viewform

Celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day @ Illinois
May 16, 2019.
Champaign, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.disability.illinois.edu/academic-support/accessible-it-group/gaad2019

Global Accessibility Awareness Day 2019
May 16, 2019.
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
https://www.meetup.com/en-AU/a11ychi/events/261052295/

Best Practices for Accessible Social Media
May 21, 2019.
Online
http://www.cast.org/whats-new/events/2019/05/best-practices-social-media-accessibility.html

Partnership for Progress on the Digital Divide
May 22-24, 2019.
Washington, D.C, U.S.A.
http://www.ppdd.org/conferences/ppdd2019/

Boston UX Conference
July 15-19, 2019.
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
https://www.nngroup.com/training/boston/

+04: HTML.

Details / Summary Are Not [insert control here]
By Adrian Roselli.
"…we need to be careful of christening this new-to-us interaction as
the solution to all our coding struggles…"
http://adrianroselli.com/2019/04/details-summary-are-not-insert-control-here.html

Short Note on fieldset and legend Semantics
By Steve Faulkner.
"…Using a <fieldset> without a, non-empty, <legend> child is the same
as using a <div> for screen reader users i.e. it's ignored…"
https://codepen.io/stevef/post/fielsdet-and-legend-semantics

Demo: Uniquely Labeling Fields in Table
By Adrian Roselli.
"Use row headers as they aid wayfinding for screen reader users and
contributes to the accessible name for each field…"
https://codepen.io/aardrian/pen/pBqRyg

A History of the HTML Slot Element
By Jan Miksovsky.
"To me, the story behind the standard HTML <slot> element illustrates
the complexity of producing standards, the importance of talking with
people face-to-face, and the value of compromise…"
https://component.kitchen/blog/posts/a-history-of-the-html-slot-element

+05: JAVASCRIPT.

How to Clone an Array in JavaScript
By Yazeed Bzadough.
"JavaScript has many ways to do anything. I've written on 10 Ways to
Write pipe/compose in JavaScript, and now we're doing arrays…"
https://medium.freecodecamp.org/how-to-clone-an-array-in-javascript-1d3183468f6a

Why I've Stopped Exporting Defaults From My JavaScript Modules
By Nicholas Zakas.
"After years of fighting with default exports, I've changed my ways.…"
https://humanwhocodes.com/blog/2019/01/stop-using-default-exports-javascript-module/

ARIA Annotations
By W3C. Editors: Michael Cooper, Aaron Leventhal, and Benjamin Young.
"ARIA Annotations provides markup for accessible, in-page annotations.
This specification describes the mechanism for signaling that content
has been annotated, for what purpose, and where to find the related
additional content…"
https://w3c.github.io/annotation-aria/

WAI-ARIA 1.1 Cheat Sheet
By Raghavendra Satish Peri.
"…ARIA attributes communicate the role, state & property symantics to
assistive technologies via the accessibility API s implemented in
browsers…"
https://www.digitala11y.com/wai-aria-1-1-cheat-sheet/

Top 7 ARIA Tips for Developers
By Rakesh Paladugula.
"Accessible Rich Internet Applications, widely known as WAI ARIA or
just ARIA is a W3C specification to build accessible next generation
web technologies…"
http://www.maxability.co.in/2019/05/top-7-aria-tips-for-developers/

+06: MISCELLANEOUS.

AXSChat with John Rochford (Video)
By Neil Milliken, Debra Ruh, and Antonio Santos.
"John Rochford is a Program Director and Faculty Member at the Eunice
Kennedy Shriver Center of the University of Massachusetts Medical
School…"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwE7Cb1aCwo

CC Search is Out of Beta with 300M Images and Easier Attribution
By Jane Park.
"Today CC Search comes out of beta, with over 300 million images
indexed from multiple collections, a major redesign, and faster, more
relevant search. It's the result of a huge amount of work from the
engineering team at Creative Commons and our community of volunteer
developers…""
https://techcrunch.com/2019/04/30/creative-commons-launches-its-search-engine-out-of-beta-with-over-300m-images-indexed/

+07: NAVIGATION.

Enriching Search Results Through Structured Data
By Google.
"For many years we have been recommending the use of structured data
on websites to enable a richer search experience. When you add markup
to your content, you help search engines understand the different
components of a page…"
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2019/04/enriching-search-results-structured-data.html

+08: USABILITY.

3 Design Considerations for Effective Mobile-App Permission Requests
By Maria Rosala.
"Mobile permission requests are often poorly designed. Consider the
content and timing of these requests, avoid dark patterns, and enable
users to reverse their decision."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/permission-requests/

10 Heuristic Principles for Mobile Interfaces
By Jordan DeVos.
"…Below is a curated collection of ten principles that are inspired by
human-centered design and usability thought leaders…"
https://uxdesign.cc/heuristic-principles-for-mobile-interfaces-c226fbaa1d16

Too Much UX Success (Video)
By Jakob Nielsen.
"What to do when a UX team becomes too popular and too many projects
want UX help with their designs, overwhelming the available capacity
to do good work."
https://www.nngroup.com/videos/too-much-ux-success/

6 Rules for Persuasive Storytelling
By Rachel Krause.
"Stories build empathy and make the user needs and pain points
memorable to your team. Effective stories speak the language of the
audience, are rooted in data, and take advantage of compelling
artifacts."
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/persuasive-storytelling/

[Section one ends.]

++ SECTION TWO:

Accessibility Information.

Association Information.

Book Listings.

Cascading Style Sheets Information.

Color Information.

Drupal Information.

Evaluation & Testing Information.

Event Information.

HTML Information.

Information Architecture Information.

JavaScript Information.

Miscellaneous Web Information.

Navigation Information.

PHP Information.

Sites & Blogs Listing.

Tool Information.

Typography Information.

Usability Information.

XML Information.

[Section two ends.]

++END NOTES.

+ SUBSCRIPTION INFO.

+ TEXT EMAIL NEWSLETTER (TEN).

the accessible Text Email Newsletter (TEN) guidelines.  Please let me
http://www.headstar.com/ten

+ SIGN OFF.

Until next time,

Laura L. Carlson