Topics

Peace Weeks 2001 and 2019

Tejvan

When I was a new disciple of Sri Chinmoy, one of my first experiences was visiting Oslo for a week of peace activities in the summer of 2001. During that week, Sri Chinmoy gave a lecture on peace at Oslo university as well as offering public concerts and meditations. There was also a beautiful art gallery of Sri Chinmoy's Jharna Kala paintings and poetry reading. The first day I arrived, there was a dedication of an eternal peace flame by the harbour. There is an iconic photograph of Sri Chinmoy playing his flute by this symbol of peace.

peace-flame-

The peace week was in the middle of summer and one day we went for a walk in the hills surrounding Oslo, it was beautiful and we got a bit lost in enjoying nature. However, we then realised we were likely to be late for the start of a lecture by Sri Chinmoy at the university quite a few miles away!

We hurriedly ran down to the tram and waited impatiently. Eventually we arrived 10 minutes late. I was hot and flustered and far from a state of calm and poise - the opposite of preparation for meditation. I was annoyed with myself that I was late and - even worse - all the seats were gone. But, I squeezed in the back of the hall - standing room early.

Despite my lack of serenity in the mind, I felt an overwhelming sense of peace flow over me. It ignored the troubles of the mind and was a memorable experience - the peace I experienced despite my mind and I always attributed it to the presence of Sri Chinmoy and the power of his meditation in that lecture hall. I have never forgot that experience nearly two decades ago.

Recently, I was looking at the Peace Run site, and was very inspired by a week of Peace activities that took place in Palermo. The many activities and spirit of the Peace Run seems to have really touched a wide range of people. It is great to see.