Topics

moderated Varied Thrush, Stanford campus

tgrey41

Three days ago (1/12/20) in late afternoon I spotted a VARIED THRUSH in our Stanford campus back yard perched on the edge of our fountain. It was in shade with fading light, and I couldn't get a sharp picture, but did get one blurry grab shot showing the bird, a male. Right after I took this picture the thrush's cousin, an American Robin, flew at it, driving it away. My picture of that interaction was even further away from anything approaching sharp focus, but the image of the fleeing thrush has a kind of Impressionist charm, or so I think.
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170307372

This was the third Varied Thrush I've seen in our yard in the nearly thirty years I've been observing the birds there.
--

Mike Voydanoff

I’ve been seeing Varied Thrushes in my yard. I’m off Skyline between Bear Creek and Black roads. I can’t confirm, but if they are in my yard I would assume they might be in Castle Rock, Sanborn Park, Bear Creek Redwoods, etc. as well.

On Jan 15, 2020, at 6:41 PM, tgrey41 <tgrey@...> wrote:

Three days ago (1/12/20) in late afternoon I spotted a VARIED THRUSH in our Stanford campus back yard perched on the edge of our fountain. It was in shade with fading light, and I couldn't get a sharp picture, but did get one blurry grab shot showing the bird, a male. Right after I took this picture the thrush's cousin, an American Robin, flew at it, driving it away. My picture of that interaction was even further away from anything approaching sharp focus, but the image of the fleeing thrush has a kind of Impressionist charm, or so I think.
https://pbase.com/tgrey/image/170307372

This was the third Varied Thrush I've seen in our yard in the nearly thirty years I've been observing the birds there.
--

William Pelletier

Mike,
It has been a good year for Varied Thrush and all the places you list should have them. Some years (most) we get way fewer. I had 13 Varied Thrush on the Christmas Bird count just on one of the lists! There must be some effect with this habitat as it is also a good year for Red-breasted Nuthatch, Pine Siskin and Red Crossbills.
Good birding,
Bill P