Topics

moderated Twin Creeks: no blackbird/cowbird flock

Ginger Langdon-Lassagne

Hi all,

Barry and I spent a very enjoyable 3 hours, hiking a large loop around the Twin Creeks Sports Complex and Sunnyvale Baylands, 10am to 1pm. We failed to find any sign of a flock of Blackbirds/Cowbirds which might contain the Yellow-headed blackbird originally found by Brooke Miller.

However, Salt pond A4 had a marvelous abundance and variety of hundreds of diving ducks and grebes, including at least one RED-BREASTED MERGANSER and 2 CLARKE’S GREBES. Another pleasant sighting was a SPOTTED SANDPIPER, bob-bob-bobbing his way down the low-tide, muddy channel between the sports complex and A4, a first for this location for us. A couple of heard-only SORA were also worth mention.

Good birding!
Ginger Langdon-Lassagne

William Pelletier

Ginger,
Kitty and I ran into Garrett on our way to look for the Yellow-headed Blackbird and he gave us some helpful details. When we got there it was hard to see any blackbirds at all. There were 8 Brown-headed Cowbirds clinging to the dirt wall on the opposite side of the channel sheltering from a fresh breeze (BF5, 20mph wind) that had most birds hunkering down out of sight.

A few blackbirds would occasionally fly from one hidden roost to another, when suddenly we heard the Yellow-headed Blackbird call, in flight, and watched where it landed in the reeds on the close side (toward the ball fields) completely out of view. I had good views in flight and Kitty managed a quick “bird in flight” photo of it as well. A few minutes later it flew across the channel into the rushes and disappeared again. Then, after some obscured views, the bird popped up and posed for photos for us. Finally the bird flew right over our heads to a Eucalyptus tree by the maintenance yard by the ball fields.

All of this happened at the third ball field from the bridge just past the power tower with the bushy tree growing inside of it. Here is a map with red x’s showing the three places we saw the bird.